Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm hoping you can help me out with some tips here.
Our boxer-mix puppy is a bit over four months and it's very troublesome to teach her to walk on a loose leash. She doesn't really like to walk and always tries to pull back home. Sometimes it goes a little better once we're a bit further away from home, but she'll always start pulling again whenever we're starting to turn back in the direction of home (no matter how far away it still is).

She's a rescue pup and we're guessing her guest home just didn't go out on walks with her.

We've been trying a specific method for over a week now (we stop walking every few meters/steps and wait until she turns around to look at us on her own account), but without success so far (she just starts pulling again - as hard or harder - the moment we start walking).

It's not pleasant for us, and it certainly isn't for her either, so any tips on how to teach her not to pull and walk a loose leach would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I would like to add that I've checked out multiple ways to train this, including some of the topics on this forum, and they all seem to work fine because the dog WANTS to go for a walk (turning back home if she keeps pulling/doesn't follow/...), but since ours just wants to go back home (even if we just left the front yard) I'm not sure what to do instead...

·
Registered
5,020 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I will read up on your posted information, thank you, and I will try to get a clip of a walk next time!

Edit:

It seems I already read most of the stuff in the thread you posted. Most of these methods are for dogs who don't want to start moving, or don't want to go home though, it seems? Hera walks with us just fine, usually keeping so close to us that we almost end up tripping over her, up until the point where we're heading back towards home. That's when she starts pulling. When she does, we stop instantly and wait until she looks back to see what's going on, or until she sits down or calms down - which removes the tension. Only after do we start moving again - but the moment we do, she pulls. We've done this stop-look-go thing about every few steps, for the last week or more, but it makes no difference and sometimes it even makes her pull harder when we start moving again. We've also tried turning back around to try to show her that we decide where the walk goes, not her (as shown in the first video in your post), but that doesn't seem to have any effect either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ruby had this problem too. Honestly I just kept taking her out for walks and when she would pull on the way home we would turn around and walk the other way. That seemed to help but what seemed to work best for her was to completely distract her by playing with her, and taking her completely out of her area miles away. She is almost 2 now and she heels perfectly at my side and has no more issues walking on a leash. She was just afraid out front and wanted to be back in her safe world/house/yard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ruby had this problem too. Honestly I just kept taking her out for walks and when she would pull on the way home we would turn around and walk the other way. That seemed to help but what seemed to work best for her was to completely distract her by playing with her, and taking her completely out of her area miles away. She is almost 2 now and she heels perfectly at my side and has no more issues walking on a leash. She was just afraid out front and wanted to be back in her safe world/house/yard.

Yes, I do believe that being afraid is the biggest problem. The first few days when she got here she was so afraid to walk at all - her tail would be between her hind legs and she would be visibly shaking! She's a rescue pup and I think she's just not used to walking and traffic etc, because she came from a very big next (probably couldn't have walked 14 dogs easily) and a very quiet town. It's gotten so much better because she DOES walk with us and wags her tail etc, until we're starting to turn home. She even loves the dogpark where she can run loose, even though that scared her a bit at first, too.

When you say you distracted her by playing with her, do you mean you would play with her when she started pulling? During the walk? I can't really take her on walks outside of our area when we do her late night walk though.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Dog Park ... especially with this dog??? Please read "Three Dogs Who Should Not Be at a Dog Park."
the

http://www.boxerforums.com/1728673-post37.html

Still thinking over "walk" issues here.

Wrong conclusion here ... "Most of these methods are for dogs who don't want to start moving, or don't want to go home though, it seems?"

I know it seems that way. I was surprised to! Those just happen to be the dogs that showed up. Working on it! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would keep her distracted towards the part of the walk where I knew we would be heading towards home. I had a small squeaky toy that she liked and I would squeak it every once in awhile and toss it within range of her leash. I was trying to help her realize that walks could be fun because she was terrified. But once she would realize where we were headed and started pulling I would turn us around immediately and pull her that way. My neighbors looked at me funny for a little bit but it worked everytime she pulled we turned around. When she didn't pull she got a treat.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I will read up on your posted information, thank you, and I will try to get a clip of a walk next time!

Edit:

It seems I already read most of the stuff in the thread you posted. Most of these methods are for dogs who don't want to start moving, or don't want to go home though, it seems? Hera walks with us just fine, usually keeping so close to us that we almost end up tripping over her, up until the point where we're heading back towards home. That's when she starts pulling. When she does, we stop instantly and wait until she looks back to see what's going on, or until she sits down or calms down - which removes the tension. Only after do we start moving again - but the moment we do, she pulls. We've done this stop-look-go thing about every few steps, for the last week or more, but it makes no difference and sometimes it even makes her pull harder when we start moving again. We've also tried turning back around to try to show her that we decide where the walk goes, not her (as shown in the first video in your post), but that doesn't seem to have any effect either.
Ok been giving it some thought!

I'm going to guess ...if you turn and change directions she resist and you stop?? And most likely wait and see what she is going to do??

If that is the case ...don't! If your heading towards home and she starts to lunge ahead ...turn rapidly in the other direction and go that way!! Snatch her off her feet if you have to!

If you have the collar regardless of type positioned "high and tight" doing that should "not" be necessary?? But if she is still giving you flack?? Then it's not enough!

If she lunges in front of you and you rapidly change direction! She will "quickly" learn that it is in her best interest to "pay attention" to where "you" are going!

Give that a shot! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. If we turn around and she resists, I keep walking. She walks for a while, but again, once we turn another street back in the direction of home, she pulls again. I have tried doing this again and again, but the result is unchanging.

I don't see why there would be a problem with the dog park. There haven't been any dogs around anyway, she's always alone, she responds when she is called and stays close to us anyway. She doesn't run around wild and do whatever she wants to.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
she responds when she is called and stays close to us anyway. She doesn't run around wild and do whatever she wants to.
Well if she responds well give her the heel command and she should immediately walk on losses leash at your side, if she is still pulling you then hmm yes she is doing whatever she wants.
Put her on a slip lead or prong collar and go walk, no talking just walk. Same thing on the way home turn away from home then back toward home. You may need to do this several times. Give her a pop on the lead soon she will look at you for where is this crazy person going. One she stays focused on you it will get easier. It won't happen over night and you will have to repeat this each day 10-15 minutes each day.
I am not a fan of dog parks, the problem is 1. irresponsible humans. Many think their dog can do no wrong and do not watch, just sit, drink coffee and play on phone. 2. You don't know how healthy the other dogs are, have they been vaccinated? 3. It goes back to irresponsible humans, sorry there are so many.....

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I would keep her distracted towards the part of the walk where I knew we would be heading towards home. I had a small squeaky toy that she liked and I would squeak it every once in awhile and toss it within range of her leash. I was trying to help her realize that walks could be fun because she was terrified. But once she would realize where we were headed and started pulling I would turn us around immediately and pull her that way. My neighbors looked at me funny for a little bit but it worked everytime she pulled we turned around. When she didn't pull she got a treat.
Sounds right. :)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
No. If we turn around and she resists, I keep walking. She walks for a while, but again, once we turn another street back in the direction of home, she pulls again. I have tried doing this again and again, but the result is unchanging.
Most likely because you are making the same "error" over and over again??

What tools are you using?? And can you post a clip???

I don't see why there would be a problem with the dog park. There haven't been any dogs around anyway, she's always alone, she responds when she is called and stays close to us anyway. She doesn't run around wild and do whatever she wants to.
If "your" Dog Park works for "you" no problem! :)

The "No Dog Park" is what I've always done myself because "I" had the good sense and sense of "responsibility" to not inflict my "American Band Dawgs" anti dog behaviour on other people's pets!

Not "everyone" shares that sense of responsibility?? "No Dog Parks" is the advice given by serious dog experts (who have trained ...thousands of dogs) and that is the advise I relay. :)

Only exception I am aware of is Cesar Millan. Who rehabs dogs and their owners and then happily sends them off to the Dog Park! I always wonder if the families, he works with, will get a return visit "if" one of the dogs, he sent off with there owners to a Dog Park, gets attacked and has become leash reactive to other dogs or a Fear biter??

All I do is "relay" sound information folks are of course free to do is they see fit. :)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I agree. If this is what your doing now, it should work with time and patience.
Sounds like your on the right track.
Something is amiss?? I would lose the use of treats for the walks, they may be sending the "wrong" message??

I do think a video clip would be helpful. Lindar51, any more incidents with your guy??

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Something is amiss?? I would lose the use of treats for the walks, they may be sending the "wrong" message??

I do think a video clip would be helpful. Lindar51, any more incidents with your guy??
(missed the treat part)....
No, he has been a good boy, my daughter has been working with him more. Today we took him to the trash can (its a big ol 5 ft high bin) opened the top let is fall back and threw in a bag of trash and he sat there very nicely. I could see in his stature that he wanted to move but he didn't.

I also bought a slip lead, its easier to just slip on to take him out back to potty for me n now my husband will too at times. He seems to know he shouldn't pull at all on it. (?) so much more simple then his flat collar. We were only using the prong for walks. Now my daughter is also using the slip for walks.
Should have done this long ago.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
(missed the treat part)....
No, he has been a good boy, my daughter has been working with him more. Today we took him to the trash can (its a big ol 5 ft high bin) opened the top let is fall back and threw in a bag of trash and he sat there very nicely. I could see in his stature that he wanted to move but he didn't.
Well that is "fantastic!" I sent details on the three minuet out of sight stay to you in a PM, I think it will help!

I also bought a slip lead, its easier to just slip on to take him out back to potty for me n now my husband will too at times. He seems to know he shouldn't pull at all on it. (?) so much more simple then his flat collar. We were only using the prong for walks. Now my daughter is also using the slip for walks.
Should have done this long ago.
Well that is great! And of course you know my bias ! Usually the people that can train a dog with a flat leash and collar, have "zero" issues using a Slip Lead leash!

It is actually much more useful that even I realized! Sean O'shay was explaining why he uses so much "crap" on a Dog these days, A Prong Collar and E collar and a Dominate Dog Collar??? I think it was in here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR_tfAVvFdA

I have seen clips of him walking a Dog with two leashes in his hand?? He finally explains that if he is talking with someone and the dog starts to get agitated, he shifts off the prong collar and goes to the DDC, attached to a short traffic leash and applies "light" upward pressure on the DDC ,till the Dog shuts up! No muss no fuss, he doesn't say a word to the dog!

Well heck I "could" do the same thing with the SSL! And I don't need all the other "crap" in my view. Also I have never had the need t do so, they just don't act up!

So the next question would be why not use the "Prong" collar?? To my way of thinking a "Prong can be used to take Drive out of a Dog and it can also be used to put drive into a Dog!

I doubt most of his clients would understand what any of that means?? I would imagine however that he tried "subtle" with the "Prong Collar" and it wasn't working out to well??

Don't know I guess I could ask him myself?? But I'll just wait. I think I already explained the answer so I'm satisfied.

At any rate I'd just drop the "Prong" with this dog myself, two tools might be sending messages but as I say Sean uses three! So what do I know?? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts