Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taught their boxer to clean up their toys? We need to get Willow a toy basket/bucket and I'm thinking when we do I'm going to train her to pick up all of her toys and put them in it! I have summers off work so this may be something I try to teach her in the summer when I have lots of time, but just curious if anyone else has done this?

Here's a pic of her mastering her "stay" command. She eventually started drooling and then we let her have the carrots! Hehe

Attachments

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
LOL ... I have no idea??? But for training tricks and I see the cheetos on her feet ... I'm impressed! But most likely Zak George has clips that would be useful.

But most likely you'd need to get her to pick up a toy and lure her into dropping into the basket and say "Good Girl, Basket" or something like that don't know?? My dogs were pigs they shredded and scattered toys everywhere and I picked them up. :)

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
LOL very good. Years ago I had a gsd that I could do this with. I'd put treats on his feet, nose in front of him and put him in a stay, and our world on the time was do't touch it, leave it would be better less words. Good job.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Has anyone taught their boxer to clean up their toys? We need to get Willow a toy basket/bucket and I'm thinking when we do I'm going to train her to pick up all of her toys and put them in it! I have summers off work so this may be something I try to teach her in the summer when I have lots of time, but just curious if anyone else has done this?

Here's a pic of her mastering her "stay" command. She eventually started drooling and then we let her have the carrots! Hehe
I'm sure it can be done with patience and time.

I tried it but gave up after 2 days. lol If I ask Zuke for a specific toy he will go get it, but forget actually bringing it back to its place. I figured the time it would take to train him to do it would be much longer than me just picking it up myself.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL very good. Years ago I had a gsd that I could do this with. I'd put treats on his feet, nose in front of him and put him in a stay, and our world on the time was do't touch it, leave it would be better less words. Good job.
I've tried the treats on the nose trick but can't do it, she just keeps trying to look at/eat the treat!! I've been trying for months and she doesn't get it haha. So I tried the paw thing and she caught on extremely quickly!

·
Registered
39 Posts

I know this is an older post but wanted to share my experience anyway just in case you are still trying.

My YorkiePoo trained within 3 days to pick up her toys and put them in her basket. But Yorkies train quite easily. Six years later when I got my first Boxer girl Tala, I decided to train her as well. Since Tinkerbelle was already doing it, that probably helped. Tala never enjoyed doing it but she knew she'd get a treat if she did.

Anyway, I started out by showing her and saying the command "PUT AWAY", said very firmly with no intonation. Tala was very food driven and LOVED braunschweiger so I cut tiny pieces and the scent alone was an incentive for her.
It took forever for her to finally do it on first command - almost 3 weeks, and Tinkerbelle was starting to put Tala's toys away for her to hurry up and get the treats. LOL! So of course I had to hold Tink so she wouldn't help.
I had stopped giving treats to Tink because she didn't need them and was happy to "Put away" as her chore. But adding them back when I taught Tala was like ice bream every day for Tink! I did switch out the treats eventually to Dentastix so they each got something that would help their teeth as well as their egos. Hope that helps. At least you know it can be done. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have tried quite a few times with no result. The other day I found her on top of a couch messing up the HVAC filter and biting it. It's been a tough one trying to tame this one! I still love my dog too much to punish her for anything. Nevertheless, the whole filter was not very clean, and I was planning to get it fixed with supremeductcleaning.com.au since they have a fast response time. I'm waiting for the technician next week, and I hope he's not afraid of naughty dogs! She gets excited around people!

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
First question is how old is she and how long have you had her? And beyond that you have two different issues you are mentioning. The "Trick Training," and I don't know what it is you want her to do? But so you know in "Boxers," the "Girls are different??"

I luv the girl's myself (my preference) because once trained they are amazing! But actually training them, can be a "time consuming PIA, compared to the boy's? The male dog's want to make you happy, the female's want to make themselves happy. IE, why should I care what you want??? Once you get pass that initial point? The girl's are a piece of cake! :)

The tearing crap up that was on the sofa, is a separate issue. That speaks to no limitations and no inhibition's? You can't pet proof a whole house for every conceivable situation? But you can "train a dog," to chill out. It's actually a "thing."

My current dog (Pit/Boxer) Bella is actually my "worst," trained dog ever. Her ability for recall can be questionable at times? Thou it does seem to hold when required?? But in the home she is "Rock Solid!" She does not tear up crap and we take her out and about and go to Burger King, I get her always a Jr Bacon Hamburger, I take the bacon off for her.

And I can leave the bag of burger's in the car with her and go shopping and she never touches the bag, while it is in the car with her alone. That is not something separate, I taught her? It's just a carry over from "training her to chill out." :)

But nope she won't put her toy's back in the basket and she won't close bed room door's? But I chose my "Battle's Wisely," don't act like a tool in the home and it's all good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts