Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

We would like to teach Willow the speak command, but as a first-time dog owner I have no idea where to start! How do we go about this? She already knows sit, down, stay, and shake a paw.
Thanks!

Willow showing off her "sit". With all of her toys/blankets that she insists on dragging out in the background! Also her crate is on carpet squares which she drags around.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
"speak" wouf! "speak" wouf!

Then on to; "stop it" "stop it" "stop it'......."stop it" "stop it" I told you to "stop it" :mbounce:

·
Registered
200 Posts
speak

My Fritz does not know speak,and sometimes that is a good thing.He bumps his nose on me when he wants to go out ,when he wants food,dog treat,someone at door and he knows who it is,also ,when he wants to go for a walk.But he learned this on his own.He had to teach me what he was asking me to do.Now I know what he wants ,just by the time of day.Yes sometimes he tricks me,as on trash day he can here them coming way before me.And if I forget it is trash day,and let him out .He goes nuts ,running along the fence,also trying to get to many dog treats,But the worse is getting his lease on and he goes running after a squirrel.Yes he has me trained.And I am so glad he does not speak.:chatterbox::chatterbox:

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
LOL "Speak" is "Trick" training ... not really my thing ... but that is where
"Treats" are useful! Now having said that ... my "Struddell" absolutely refused to speak! The best I could get was a "poof"sound and her flews would flap??

But in theory ... you have a treat .. you say "Speak" and at some point ... he would "Speak??"

But ... "Willow???" Is that a girl ??? If so ... "good luck" with that. :)

In "Boxer" world the girls are "extremely" "pig headed!" And try as I might ..."poof" was the best I get form "Stru???" Not a "battle" worth fighting ... so she won that one. :)

As a general rule ... Boxer males are much more willing to make you happy. The girls are more interested in making themselves happy. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL "Speak" is "Trick" training ... not really my thing ... but that is where
"Treats" are useful! Now having said that ... my "Struddell" absolutely refused to speak! The best I could get was a "poof"sound and her flews would flap??

But in theory ... you have a treat .. you say "Speak" and at some point ... he would "Speak??"

But ... "Willow???" Is that a girl ??? If so ... "good luck" with that.

In "Boxer" world the girls are "extremely" "pig headed!" And try as I might ..."poof" was the best I get form "Stru???" Not a "battle" worth fighting ... so she won that one.

As a general rule ... Boxer males are much more willing to make you happy. The girls are more interested in making themselves happy.
Haha yes she's a girl. She can definitely have a stubborn streak, but if I have a treat in my hand she's usually willing to do what I want. Although "shake a paw" took a few weeks for her to learn, whereas sit, stay, and down she learned fairly quickly.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Haha yes she's a girl. She can definitely have a stubborn streak, but if I have a treat in my hand she's usually willing to do what I want. Although "shake a paw" took a few weeks for her to learn, whereas sit, stay, and down she learned fairly quickly.
LOL a girl! Yeah I thought about the name a bit and went ...uh oh?? :)

Struddell was extremely well trained ... I was able to teach her to chase rabbits in the desert off leash at a distance to the "North" Mountains and not "South"Hwy at a distance with the use of the word "NO!"

But "Speak???" huh ... no, not gonna happen! Flapping flew's and a "poof" sound ... was the best I get out of her! We could do this routine all day ... nothings gonna change! :chair:

But you know ... pick your battles, I let her have that one. In "Boxer" world the girls are the more challenging of the two sexes. The boys are more like ... "what can I do to make you happy??" The girls are more like "what can you do to make me happy???" I like the girls myself ... more of a challenge. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey all,

We would like to teach Willow the speak command, but as a first-time dog owner I have no idea where to start! How do we go about this? She already knows sit, down, stay, and shake a paw.
Thanks!

Willow showing off her "sit". With all of her toys/blankets that she insists on dragging out in the background! Also her crate is on carpet squares which she drags around.
Does your pup have any prey drive?
Like... if you move a towel around quickly on the ground does she want to run and grab it?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all,

Thanks!

Does your pup have any prey drive?
Like... if you move a towel around quickly on the ground does she want to run and grab it?
Yes she does. She sees leaves blowing outside on our walks and will go after them. She also chases our cats...

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Cats!!! Prey drive or no a dog that lives with cats ... ought not to be chasing "house mates!"

I have had up to 17 cats and up to 5 five dogs at one times and in more than 15 years "Zero" Cat dog issues! Some things you can let go and somethings you draw a line in the sand! In my pack even the worst of the worst. Rocky my first WL GSD ... five fights with Gunther (I got stitches in one of those dust ups) and Human (serious) Human Aggression "issues" but what he did not do ... was screw around with the cats!

Yes ... "Struddell" beat me on the "Speak Thing" not that big deal (for me) but "Cats" and yes she was a "High Prey Drive" doggy "Zero Issues." :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, Willow seems to get along with our younger cat ok, they chase each other, and the cat seems fine with it. Our older cat (5yrs old) is not ok with the dog! He hisses and swats at her. Willow doesn't like to walk past him, but will still try to play with him from time to time.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Yes, Willow seems to get along with our younger cat ok, they chase each other, and the cat seems fine with it. Our older cat (5yrs old) is not ok with the dog! He hisses and swats at her. Willow doesn't like to walk past him, but will still try to play with him from time to time.
Well it's not the kind of relationship my dogs and cats have ... I prefer benign disinterest.

The ctas approach the dogs the dogs don't approach the cats. But it sounds like yours have "worked it out." The one cat actually chases the dog and the dog respects the space of the other cat ... good enough. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts