Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an issue with Angel at the last meetup, where she wouldn't "come" when I called her, she ended up running quite a long ways and out of our area...This could have been disastorous..I asked for some help and got a lot of excellent advice which I thought I would share as we have a lot of new puppies on here..It's rather lengthy, but worth a read  :)

-- First... when you are starting off, you need to have the assistance of another person until Angel understands the stay command. You will also need a long leash (60 foot long line is what they use in training courses

--Good advice, but you really need to go even further back than this, all recall starts in the home, calling her for her dinner, out of one room into another, this is the beginning of all recall.... playing in the garden, have someone else with you, like I said in the other post, have her going from one person to the other, allowing her to play with person A , person B calls her to them, , then person A......make your self " interesting, play with her, treat her, use a tuggi, when she is most excited, the other person recalls her. this is a good start to her getting the idea. of when you call she comes. then you can progress onto more open space, (the training lead is a good idea) follow the same practice, let her go play, recall, if she ignores recall pick up the lead, and run the other way, shouting and waving your arms, she needs to see you are more interesting then what she is doing.

Now the other thing you may find useful (specaily if you are recalling more than one dog) saves time on shouting, Ben come, tigger come... is a whistle, we use a gundog whistle , I find it breaks through a dogs concentration much quicker, and the sound carries a lot further.

first you need to conditon the dog to the whistle, same as any other command. start in your home, when you are calling her for dinner, say "come " add the whistle (it is up to you how many toots you want to use, ( I use 3 short blasts for "come") lets say you use 2 short blasts, so when you call "come " add the whistle, you will need to do this every time you call come" this way you dont need to add dogs name to the command, ( I know it is a little different for you, having one deaf dog) but for anyone who has multiple dogs,. if you are calling her in from the garden add the whistle , anthing and everytime you call her , always use the same command, gradually you can replace the "word" with just the whistle ( 2 short blasts) it will mean exactly the same thing to her, she has to come now. A whistle is a very good sharp command, it gets to the point quickly, and travels much further than your voice... you can go on to train the "down" "stay" with a whislte just different toots 1 long one for down, 1 short one for stay.

-------------------------

I agree recall starts in the home, then take it outside to your yard. You have to have perfect recall at home inside and out to expect it any where else. If she does not do well when outside then you take it back inside to where you had excellent recall. You start all over.......
I use treats only in the beginning when teaching acceptable behavior after that I fade them out. I give hands on praise and lots of loving then a treat as an after thought. I want my dog to respond and focus on me and not the food.
Clickers and such I have tried, but I find that most dogs become accustomed to the noise, and they will stop obeying the sounds. Especially if there is alot of noises going on, they are really focused on some thing, or their prey drive has kicked in...... then they are out of there. You want your dog to focus on you and your voice reaching out to her calling her.

Start in the house by calling Angel from across the room. Get real excited and call her to you "come" , when she gets to you have praises and loves (always hands and voice praises before any food reward). Then tell her to sit and reward her with a special treat and keep her sitting. Now pet her and give her a small treat repeat this several times giving her treats about every 5 seconds. You do not want her grabbing the food and running off again you are developing a bond and wanting her to come to you expecting some thing good. Do this several times through out the house...... When you feel that this is going well then take her out in to your yard and work there on a long line. Eventually you want to be able to remove the line and go to the other side of the yard call her to you. Praise her love on her and treat as mentioned above. If she does not come then calmly walk over to her and show her the treats...tease her a bit with them but do not give her any of them. Turn and walk away..... Do not be surprised if she follows wondering why Mom took her treats. Ignore her and go to the other side of the yard....

Also practice on having Angel in your yard. When you get to her love her pet her give her attention (treat if you want to) then tell her good girl go play. Walk away and let her play....do this frequently while she is outside. Also call her to you and do the same thing. You want her to know that coming to you does not mean play time or fun is necessarily over.

Just my point of view but I would be very leary having my dog off lead in a public area if it did not have perfect recall:  Best of luck with our Angel..... she is very bright she will catch on quickly.....

--------------------

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Great info!

·
Registered
381 Posts
[quote="samsonsmom\";p=\"6853":tjxdkk2b]

Also practice on having Angel in your yard. When you get to her love her pet her give her attention (treat if you want to) then tell her good girl go play. Walk away and let her play....do this frequently while she is outside. Also call her to you and do the same thing. You want her to know that coming to you does not mean play time or fun is necessarily over.

Just my point of view but I would be very leary having my dog off lead in a public area if it did not have perfect recall:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Round Robin is also a fun way to teach recall in a group of people!!!  Everybody sit in a large circle.  Put the dog on a long line (start at 10 to 20 ft longline and as she gets better at recall then increase the length).  Tie a rock or something slightly heavy at the end of the longline.  Toss the loose end of the longline to someone and have that person call the dog.  When they call the dog they should sound happy and somewhat excited (you want the dog to associate coming when called to something good) and use a higher pitch voice (men do not need to try to sound like a woman, your voice will raise in pitch naturally when you get excited ro happy).  When the dog commits to coming start giving verbal praise.  When the dog has completed the recall (come command) give verbal and physical praise and treat.  Start over.  When the dog gets pretty good at that then you (or the dog) can turn it into a game.  When the recall is solid at that distance, you can spread out some more.  

Remember---Go at your dogs pace!  Baby steps make a new command solid!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
243 Posts
If your dog (or kid) is never put in a situation where they can fail, they never will learn from it.
I think this thread is very interesting. Thank you for writing this all down!

I have another question:
Gero is my second "Boxer-Rescue-Boxer".
If you get a male grown up boxer it is more difficult to put him in such a situation (were he can fail).
People are often frightened about a big boxer-boy - it is risky to put them in such
situations (because I don

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Gabriele~~~

All the training stickeys are geared to Boxer's of any age.  All training should start as soon as the Boxer enters your home.  Old dog's can learn new tricks.

If you like, I can give you some easy and fun training tips in German (if that will help).  I know how hard it can be trying to solidify and use a new language and then try to understand it when it is spoken (or written/typed) back to you.  I spent 2.5 years in Germany in the US Air Force and took 7 yrs of German in intermediate and high school, so at one time I was pretty fluent.  I'm still pretty good at it, so I can help you out if you like.

BTW~~~

Gero is one handsome boy!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can give you some easy and fun training tips in German
@ Liz: Thank you for your offer! I would like to get some tips from you.

If you have posted them still here in the forum I can try to read them first in English.
I

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.