Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

Can anybody give me tips on ways to help my boxer with his ears and tears? he always scratches at his nose just below his eye and he made it bleed once, I sprayed Vetricin onit and seemed to help... we tried cleaning it but couldnt put any pressure onit or the hair would fall out with the washcloth.. any tips or recommendations? Could it be an Allergy by chance?

Also, you can see how much hair he used to have on his belly and not its like pink soft skin... anybody seen this on there boxer before?

All suggestions are Greatly appreciated.. :clap:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
As soon as I saw the title, I immediately thought of allergies. My Lexi is battling allergies.

What are his paws (between his pads) like? Are they a redish colour?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As soon as I saw the title, I immediately thought of allergies. My Lexi is battling allergies.

What are his paws (between his pads) like? Are they a redish colour?

I thought maybe allergies and wanted some other Boxer input... His back paws between his toes are redish in colour Yes.. His front not as bad. He does lick his back legs allot too.

What do you do for your Lexi and her allergies?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well, Lexi has had a really bad bout this last little while. We have had to switch her to a vegetarian diet and after 6 weeks reintroduce one protein at a time to see what she is allergic to - if it even is a protein.

But, what I have done to help with itching is benadryl. I am not sure how much you can give them, I forget. Gypsiemouse knows, as well as some of the other users.

I soak her feet in an Epsom salt bath 2 times a day for 10mins then dry them up (especially in between her pads and toes) and shake on a bit of Goldbond on them - to soak up all the moisture. Chances are, if his feet are red it's because of yeast. He's licking them because they are itchy and then they stay moist (and dark) so it's a perfect combination for yeast to grow. This really helps her feet!

Usually Lexi's back are worse then her front too.

As for her ears, they got so bad that she needed to be on ear drops. So, a vet visit might be a good idea for you boy.

If I can think of anything else, I will let you know.

Usually allergies are due to their food, but it can also be environmental. What are you feeding him?

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Allergies can cause the scratching, ear problems and tootsie issues.

Since you are in Canada, I'm assuming it's rather cold there now? So more than likely it is food related rather than environmental.

What are you feeding him?

Zymox Otic HC is good for the ears. If there is any infection you use it once a day for a week, but you can also use it once a week as a cleaner/ preventative. It is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal - so it's good for all ear problems. You can get it on Amazon.
The correct dosage for Benadryl is 1 mg. per pound of your dogs weight, so a 25 pound dog can have 1 Benadryl, a 50 pound dog can have 2, etc....
But Benadryl should be used temporarily to relieve symptoms until you find a solution for the itchiness

:):)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Lexi has had a really bad bout this last little while. We have had to switch her to a vegetarian diet and after 6 weeks reintroduce one protein at a time to see what she is allergic to - if it even is a protein.

But, what I have done to help with itching is benadryl. I am not sure how much you can give them, I forget. Gypsiemouse knows, as well as some of the other users.

I soak her feet in an Epsom salt bath 2 times a day for 10mins then dry them up (especially in between her pads and toes) and shake on a bit of Goldbond on them - to soak up all the moisture. Chances are, if his feet are red it's because of yeast. He's licking them because they are itchy and then they stay moist (and dark) so it's a perfect combination for yeast to grow. This really helps her feet!

Usually Lexi's back are worse then her front too.

As for her ears, they got so bad that she needed to be on ear drops. So, a vet visit might be a good idea for you boy.

If I can think of anything else, I will let you know.

Usually allergies are due to their food, but it can also be environmental. What are you feeding him?

he isn't scratching like he used to, we had him to the vet before xmas and he had Yeast Infection in his one ear so we cleaned it then he had drops for week, now its to get his hair to grow back.

We had him on Raw Diet but the vet figures he's lacking Zinc or something so we put him on CaniSource which was a close form of Raw (dehydrated) at the store we shop but not sure it was doing anything so we added some Yogurt, Eggs and adding a supplement of Dog Cross - Skin Relief - Skin Comfort...the hair on the top of his ears seems to be slowly coming but nothing else... his poor belly n thighs.. :(

So we are transitioning him over to Acana - Lamb & Apple as thats what he was on before Raw and he did fine.. No Gas and had his hair... I just hate its such small kibble he gulps it almost, i'm afraid its gonna get stuck in his throat..

Do you recommend I try TOTW - Lamb instead??

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allergies can cause the scratching, ear problems and tootsie issues.

Since you are in Canada, I'm assuming it's rather cold there now? So more than likely it is food related rather than environmental.

What are you feeding him?

Zymox Otic HC is good for the ears. If there is any infection you use it once a day for a week, but you can also use it once a week as a cleaner/ preventative. It is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal - so it's good for all ear problems. You can get it on Amazon.
The correct dosage for Benadryl is 1 mg. per pound of your dogs weight, so a 25 pound dog can have 1 Benadryl, a 50 pound dog can have 2, etc....
But Benadryl should be used temporarily to relieve symptoms until you find a solution for the itchiness

:):)

Yes its Winter here right now, But I'm in Calgary, Alberta and its been +10 up last couple weeks... so mild winter so far... starting today it snowed and got colder, its up and down here because of the Mountains so close we get Chinooks which temp change all the time.. :(

Currently switching him to Acana - Lamb & Apple... Should we be trying another kind like TOTW as others have mentioned it?

I appreciate any suggestions and Help... P.S. - Rex our Boxer is 64lbs at 20mnths

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
If he did well on Acana before, and no problems, then I would try that first.
TOTW is good, but all dogs are different and you have to feed what works well for your dog. Like the old saying goes "If it's not broken, don't fix it"

:)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wheaping eyes and itchy faces and yes up to and including ears can also be teeth... haave you checked them over lately?

well since we returned Home over Christmas I've been spraying some Vetericyn on his tear spots and it seems to be clearing up, Not sure if it was just dirty, stress or the environment he was reacting to but his hair on top of his ears seems to be filling in too and underside of his back legs... Were going to give it a couple more weeks and if its still not progressing very well.. its off to the Holistic Vet we go!!

Regarding his Teeth they are very White and he chews his Raw Bone everyday for hrs.. they look ok to us

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a yeast issue. Reeko has this problem and it has gotten better since starting him on a cranberry supplement

He did have a Yeast Infection in his one ear a few months ago, it cleared up with a good cleaning and ear drops... since then I've been adding Plain Yogurt to his food daily.... I think I'll go get some Cranberry supplement from the Pet store by me try it out. We just want our guys hair to come back, i feel bad for him when we go outside in this winter air that his ears are freezing.. :(

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
He did have a Yeast Infection in his one ear a few months ago, it cleared up with a good cleaning and ear drops... since then I've been adding Plain Yogurt to his food daily.... I think I'll go get some Cranberry supplement from the Pet store by me try it out. We just want our guys hair to come back, i feel bad for him when we go outside in this winter air that his ears are freezing.. :(

Just got to walmart like Cindi said :) It's cheaper there and it's the same thing. I have Bosley on a cranberry suppliment and it seems to clear things up nicely.

p.s. I cannot beleive the weather you guys have been getting there! We keep going back and forth between -5 and -25. lol Tonight it's supposed to freeze down to about -30 without the windchill :crazyeye: Coats and boots for our walk today for sure!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got to walmart like Cindi said :) It's cheaper there and it's the same thing. I have Bosley on a cranberry suppliment and it seems to clear things up nicely.

p.s. I cannot beleive the weather you guys have been getting there! We keep going back and forth between -5 and -25. lol Tonight it's supposed to freeze down to about -30 without the windchill :crazyeye: Coats and boots for our walk today for sure!

Ok i'll look at Walmart when I am there this afternoon.. Where abouts do I look for it and what is it exactly called?

P.S - Its been Beautiful here in Alberta.. Barely any Snow and been between -5 & +16... but soon were forecast for -20 and Snow for about week straight so it will hit us sooner then we think.. Only thing about Here in Winter its hard on the Skin, cold, warm, cold, warm...ect... Chinooks from Mountains!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

What Kind do you use from Walmart? Same ones..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts