Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in feedback on what others are doing to ensure good dental health for their babies.    I brush every couple of days and have been doing this for my 6 yr old since she was a pup.  Started brushing my rescue's teeth since getting him a year ago.  It was a new experience for him but we started gradually and now he's ok with it.   They will both allow the manual toothbrush and the battery powered toothbrush.  The only problem is that they love the taste of the toothpaste and the tongue action makes it difficult to get the job done.  Is there anything else I should be doing?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think you are doing fantastic! Sounds like you get more cooperation from your 2 than I do! Ok, think I'll send them your way for teethbrushing..Lol...Also you might want to have your vet take a look at their teeth as well, especially with your older boxer as the breed is prone to gingival hyperplasia.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
and when they chew on bones. toys and such, that helps clean their teeth as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The chicken flavored toothpaste really helps and lots of toys around here for them to chew on.   The vet checked Dixie's mouth real good when she had her MST removed recently and found her teeth/gums in good shape.   No need to do any cleaning at this point but shes getting older and want to do anything I can to avoid heath problems.  Recent episode with MST has me on edge.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You are doing awesome! Sadly Samson's teeth were already in horrible shape when I got him at the age of 6...His front teeth have totally receded into the gums, they were that way when I got him. Just keep up the great care and you should do great....Mine also love the flavored toothpaste, but they seem to eat more of it than ending up on their teeth! :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I just got a toothbrush & toothpaste for Kiah; going to start brushing her teeth tonight.  The vet said her teeth were great, so its a good time to start with her to keep them that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts