Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been thinking about getting a family dog for a long time now. A friend has a Boxer that needs to be re-homed and we are strongly considering adding him to our family. I've been researching the heck outta Boxers, but I'd appreciate some first hand knowledge.

One of my concerns is how often he will need to go on walks. He is just over a year old. What is the average amount of time you would think I should expect to have to walk him?

We have three young children- 6, 8, and 9. From what I hear, Boxers are terrific with children. Agree?

What is shedding like with Boxers?

What else can you tell me about the day-to-day life of a Boxer? I just want to make sure, sure, sure (as sure as I can) that this is the right decision for our family. We haven't met the dog yet but have already fallen in love with him via pictures.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Exercise - this all depends on the activity level of your dog. Duke is happy with 2-3 30 minute walks per day and then some play in the house. Other dogs need more than that! The best person to ask about this would be your friend.

Children - boxers are AMAZING with children. Of course, all children should be taught to be respectful of dogs (i.e. no ear or tail pulling, no hitting, no teasing, leave the dog alone when he's eating, etc.). However, socialization of the dog is also important. If he has never been around children, despite their natural nurturing demeanor with children, you should be aware and supervise your children around him until he gets used to your home.

Shedding - it is minimal but at certain times of the year (around spring and fall) it does get heavier. And again, different dogs shed at different rates.

Boxers are goofy, stubborn, affectionate, loving, pig headed clowns. They will test your patience their entire lives, but they will give you so much love and make you laugh so much as well! They do a mean kidney bean dance and can woo-woo like no other breed! They are quite vocal when you talk to them, but they tend to be quiet dogs. Unless of course someone rings your doorbell or knocks on the door! They will be the first to let you know someone is there! They are also very protective of their families and are naturally wary of strangers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had a boxer growing up (my sister was 6 when we got our first)... That's when I fell in love with the breed. I can't imagine a breed better for kids.
Hubby and I are now expecting our first baby and we have 2 males in the house.

They are high energy dogs though and need long walks and lots of olay time. Yet, they love a snuggle and a cuddle.

A word of advice.. Train train train. We made the mistake of letting ours sleep in our beds and didn't socialiZe them enough as puppies. One of mine does have behavior problems (walking on leash and jumping on ppl)- but I will 100% take them
Blame for it and it was totally due to me not training him:teaching him enough when he was younger.

Boxers are amazing amazing dogs.. They do however have their fair share of health problems. Not all obviously. But boxers are prone to allergies and other health issues. Not so much if u get they from a reputable breeder. Both of mine were from backyard breeders in Brazil. So far we have not had any major issue although I do make a conscious effort to keep them as healthy as possible. One thing we do is feeding them
A raw diet. I totally see how this is not for everyone (especially with kids)... But atleast a high quality food.

Over all though.. I don't see how u could regret getting a boxer. I couldn't imagine life without mine. They are the most love able goofballs ever!!

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Well I always do my general Dog Park thing it's here so:
http://www.boxerforums.com/welcome-boxer-forums/142802-aggression-towards-other-dogs.html

Staying away from them is the best approach to keep your dog from developing issues!

With three kids the bonding with the pack thing shouldn't be a problem. Boxers want to spend every waking moment with there pack! Training is very important!

I would consider him a rescue so some of this could apply
I just got a rescued dog – what do I do? | stickydogblog

Really boils down to giving him time to adjust to his new home. I never did the crate thing myself so that's up to you and how the dog was raised? If he's use a crate fine if not I won't bother.

Mostly just let him relax and settle in ,no free feeding, no furniture privileges till the two weeks or couple of days is over. He needs to know you are in control. :)

Boxers bring a smile to your face everyday so they get a big thumbs up from me! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the replies! I appreciate it.

I think my biggest concern at this point is the amount of time he'll need for walks. I want to make sure we have the time to give him what he wants/needs.

I asked the current owners and they were pretty vague. Just sounded like a lot of "letting out in the backyard to run around and pee/poop".

Is it reasonable to expect a 1 year old to be content with two 30 minute walks a day and more "playtime" at the dog parks/dog beach on the weekend? (In addition to letting him out just to go to the bathroom).

I know each dog is different and to a certain extent I'll just need to figure things out as we go along. I just don't think I can do two 1 hour walks a day. From what I've been reading, a lot of people do this (and then some).

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I goggled Boxers and exercise. It's a very important question. When I lived in the city I would go to business parks on the week end and let my dogs run off leash there. Not my dogs are well trained and have excellent recall.

Now I live in the high desert so finding places for her to run wasn't really an issue! It's an important question but they aren't Huskies so they don't "need" to run 5 miles a day or more. I think daily walks and an occasional run in some place safe is sufficient.Time with there pack and regular exercise I think is what's most important to them.

Oh and I saw in that one link they said Boxers drool?? I wouldn't care myself but I never saw that with
my girl.

Exercising Your Boxer

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is going to be a bit long (sorry).

From a walking perspective I haven't been able to walk my boy much due to work schedules and the weather this winter and for the most part he has been pretty good. Our Max came to us mid November of last year and it has been a real cold winter. We have not been able to walk him much but made up for it by lots of playtime in the house.

I am on my 4th boxer, 3rd since I've had children. I can say that every boxer I have had adored children.

BooBoo was my second boxer that came to us 6 months before my oldest Liam was born. He was our baby. When my wife was home before Liam was born BooBoo was stuck to her like glue. He was loving, perceptive of everything going around my wife and gently protective. Never aggressive towards people but watchful and put himself between her and anyone he didn't know until he deemed them safe.

Fast forward to when Liam was born. Being a new father I was nervous about bringing a baby home, hearing all the horror stories of dogs not liking the new baby. I've had dogs since the day I was born but being a new father all the bad and scary things run through your head. From the second Liam came through the doorway he was not my baby or my wife's baby he was BooBoo's baby. He never wanted to leave his side unless we were playing with him or he was outside to do his business. New people had to meet BooBoo first or he would put himself betewwn Liam and them till they got his boxer seal of approval. The first thing Liam ever bit with his first tooth was BooBoo's ear. He would yelp, walk away and come back and let him do it over and over. Worst thing he ever did to Liam was smuther him with his big boxer tongue.

Bosco came next and he was much like BooBoo. Protective but not aggressive just a little more rambunctious except around older people and youngins. He could tell that he needed to be calmer and not so crazy with the old folks and baby's. Kids like just like BooBoo were his favorite and always tried to take the skin off their faces with his tongue.

My new boy Max is still just a pup and antagonizes my kids quite a bit but it's only because they like to drool staring at the screens playing video games and Max knows that playing is much more fun and better for them to play.

I learned from my first boxer that was only with us for a few months, sad story that I wont go into here, that my house will never be a home unless there is a boxer in it. IMO they are the greatest most majestic creatures on the face of the earth. Full of love and energy. They can tell when you are happy, sad, sick, etc. and they always seem to do everything in their power to make you feel better, make you smile and just generally try to make you a better person.

From a shedding perspective it has varied with me. My previous boxers seemed to shed a bit but that was before I researched foods. I am now more educated and feed Max Origen and he doesn't seem to shed at all. Could be just him but on a fantastic food he is shinier than any other dog I have ever owned.

To end my long drawn out post there is one thing you must know. If you bring a boxer into your home you will have a few problems. You will always have a smile on your face (or a tongue) when you walk in your door and you will never want to go a day without a boxer in your life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can tell this is going to be a great forum for us. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

We're picking up "our" Boxer for a "trail run weekend" in just a few hours. We are sooooooooo excited. :dance: The kids don't know yet. They are going to FLIP OUT when they come home from school. What a great start to Spring Break!! LOL :clap2:

Thanks again. I'm sure you haven't heard the last of me. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
unless the children already know the pup, please introduce them, i know children get so excited when they see a pup, especially in their own home. so an introduction would be in your best intrest.. he will be in new surroundings and you dont want him to be afraid of all of the excitment.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Try to have the kids meet him BEFORE he comes into the house with you. That way he will know they are part of the pack and not "outsiders" coming in.

And make sure your kids know to be calm and as quiet as possible around him so they don't scare him.

·
Registered
453 Posts
jsut let the pup sniff their hands and so forth, let them calmly pat his head and let him know that they are of no threat to him

·
Registered
32 Posts
I waited 5 years before getting the breed and still there was things that I didnt think of.
-The type of hair they have. Some are softer and fuzzier then others but i find mine is slick and "pokey". It sticks into everything and sometimes hard to lint roll. It never stops falling out but does get worse in the spring and fall. I get itchy hives on exposed skin but they go away and I don't mind.
-Boxers LOVE to jump, bounce, run and chest bump . Careful around small children. They dont mean to plow them over but sometimes is happens.
-We are very active and take ours on 1 hour walks twice a day, off leash area 4 times a week and 4 hour hikes once a week. This is not possible for many people but I find she has less anxiety when we keep her busy. (she has slight anxiety issues). But keep in mind....making her mentally tired is sometimes just as useful as physical tired. Teaching tricks, scent games and mentally stimulating toys can be your best friend.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Please understand boxers love their family and attention is a must have requirement. Just as long as you can find time between 3 kids to give your new furbaby xtra lovin then welcome to the pack! You have the makings to give him a great home having 3 kids to love and play with. But if your kids are involved in activities which keeps you and them away from home, then maybe you might reconsider. Everyday life with a boxer is awesome! They make u laugh when u really feel like crying some days. They give just as much as you love to receive! I really hope you decide he fits well with you and your family's lifestyle. It's a decision that you will never regret! Good Luck! ~Misty~

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts