Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oggie has been having some coughing/sneezing symptoms the past few days, I personally think it's allergies but wasn't sure what to do so I brought him to the vet.  They put him on temeral-p which is supposed to be for allergies.  I hid the pills in his food but he must know something is up, he didn't eat his entire meal for the first time ever!  I was able to hide them enough in the peanut butter so he got them in him, but they must smell bad because he was all freaked out.  Anyone else had this problem?  

Anyway as long as it works I can deal with it!  Poor little guy has been scaring me with his gagging/wretching episodes

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Hope Hanna has been on this for a long time.  I wrap it in cheese or roast beef  - does the trick.  I stick in the kibble in the am (but like this am it was mixed with kelp, garlic and makrel) so she did not even know the difference.  In the PM I can hide anything in the raw.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it safe to be on longterm?  I think for now it's just a temporary thing to see if it helps him.  What were her symptoms, allergies?  Just curious.  Thanks Hanna

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
She is on it whenever she flared up and has the itchies.     Not sure about longterm since we only use it when she had an alergy breakout on her neck or chest.    She gets very itchy little bumps on her neck and chest during an outbreak.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Are they tablets that you can crush? I used to crush them in a bit of yogurt.Samson is impossible about pills... :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
With Jetta and pills, I just open her mouth...toss them to the back of her throat and massage her throat to make her swallow...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It worked really well for me when I was giving Glucosamine, now the Glyco Flex is really tasty, so he eats those no prob....Let me know if that works for you

·
Registered
412 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"49231 said:
With Jetta and pills, I just open her mouth...toss them to the back of her throat and massage her throat to make her swallow...
Thats what I was going to say. Open mouth. Tuck pill in back of mouth where tongue meets throat. close mouth and hold mouth for a second......... down the hatch every time!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I would check with the vet prior to crushing any pill and giving it that way.  A lot of meds are manufactured for a specific rate of release and crushing a pill can significantly change that rate.
I just plop the pill in the back of Ringer's throat, hold his snout closed and blow a little in his nose.  Works great but is a lot more difficult to hold on to Captain No Nose than it was to hold on to my lab.

·
Registered
942 Posts
ditto. I stopped trying to hide it in food when I had Harley, he'd ALWAYS find the pill and spit it out.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I do that too, but seeing as he has to have 3 pills twice a day, that might become a bit stressful in the long term.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I gave him 2 doses in his lunch and dinner yesterday.  Last night he had another reverse sneezing/coughing/gagging attack (this has been a nightly occurence) and this time he went out in the yard, ate like 3 pounds of grass, and threw up his dinner.  He's never puked before, could it be the temeral?  I'm going to call the vet when they open but I'm going to hold off on this stuff.  Not to mention it makes him have to pee so much, he can't make it out the door anymore.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Oggie, you know with humans, you get these little warnings on the med bottles that tell you about side effects, would be nice if vets would tell you or post it on the bottle, so you can know what to expect....Generally when dogs start eating grass, it's to soothe their belly, so I 've been told...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
AWW poor Oggie. We just pop them in the back of Sadie's throat then give praise and treat, she's been on meds for a few months now and its a breeze now. Also, like Heather said you could try in a cheese slice or there is also a treat that you can get that is soft and you can hide a pill in them..I think they are called pill poppers if I remember correctly.

I hope he feels better soon!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts