Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Temperature extremes

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Kate 
#1 ·
I was reading were it says Boxers are senstive to temperature extremes.  They don't do well when it's too hot or too cold.  I live in an area were it snows (not a lot) and it can reach the upper 90s in late summer.  How do you keep your dogs cool in the summer and warm in the winter?

#4 ·
Kiah is a rescue and her previous owners had a Polar Shield Jacket for her which she gave when they surrendered her; the rescue gave it to me.  I plan on using it when it gets really cold.  I had booties for my pit bull when he was alive so Kiah has inherited those.  Rascal would not move when the concrete was really cold, it was like he was frozen in place.  I had to pick him up and carry him in until I got his booties.

#5 ·
well i am here in texas so we dont really know what that stuff you people are calling "snow" is :D for heat, i make sure there is enough water to drink, keep fans blowing and if it is a scortcher of a day i will wet a towel and put it in the kennel for them to lay on. also i recently tried the whole smoothie thing and the girls liked it a little-they dont like popsicles though :(

#6 ·
They definitely don't do well with temperature extremes. In the summer, Samson especially with his age is really affected by the heat. So lots of water, keep activity low, and I give them popsicles...Samson also likes ice rubbed on his belly & chest..They make these really nice cooling mats, Dr Fosters carry them, you can use those in a crate, on the floor or in the car....
Winter time here is cold, but no snow. I think this year I'm getting each of them sweatshirts to wear to help keep them warm. Again Samson is my issue, arthritis gets to him and Angel has no fat on her so I'm sure she's going to need some help too..Funny thing thing tho, If you go out and play or walk, even in the freezing cold or snow, they will go with you. When Buck & Tia were in quarantine, it snowed and they had a blast playing in it. I just made sure to wipe their feet off real well and make sure they were dry....

#9 ·
Michelle\";p=\"27764 said:
I was wondering the same thing about the extreme cold weather. We live in the suburbs of Chicago, so we have some brutal winters.
I am about 90 minutes north of you and yes it gets mighty cold.

#10 ·
Lol Kate, that last coat is something else..Somehow I just can't see my 2 wearing something like that. But I am getting them sweatshirts for sure.. :) Marq just saw that last coat and said that Angel would have all the fuzz chewed off of it, she would think it was a toy.... :rofl:

#11 ·
It got into the 90s here and we don't have AC. We kept the fans going and plenty of water. Hoosier would just sleep most of day until it cooled off and he would go nuts in the backyard. I couldn't make him go for a walk if I wanted him too!

I'm gonna look into some kind of winter sheild as well...Gotta be ready for the next Noreaster!

#13 ·
I think the one that kiahsmom posted is probably more reasonable and funtional as well.  It was a cute coat though, probably pretty silly unless you have a little tiny dog.  I don't know what I'll get my dogs, but I just thought I'd share what I found for kicks and giggles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.