Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Molly for a walk yesterday and the breeder that we got her from lives maybe 10 min. away by walking. Oddly enough we've never been over there since the day we picked Molly up. I decided to take her over there. She saw her mom and dad for the first time since she left. I also found out that they kept one of her brothers so she played with him for like an hour and a half. Anyways, Molly's parents just had another litter. They're 2 weeks old. All of them are fawn. There's 5 males and 4 females. I'm trying to talk the fiance into getting another one, but she's not going for it. Why do these dogs have to be so damn cute?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I know what you mean! We'd only had Sadie for two weeks and we were talking about getting her a little brother. They are just so wonderful and playful how could you NOT want two!  :lol:

We are definitely waiting till Sadie is a bit bigger though, puppies do require a lot of attention.  :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i know what you mean...im crazy about boxers now and weve already decided to get Mav a little sister in the new year. im looking for breeders already but havent found one yet ..soon i hope!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sometimes it's really hard to resist the impulse, believe me, but as I was just put in the situation of turning down a pup (yup I actually did), I know it's best not to think with your heart, but use your head...Are you  ready financially for another? Do your current boxers have any issues that may need to be resolved before bringing another home? Is the breeeder reputable? These are all questions that you really have to answer honestly before considering it...So my promise to myself was that we wouldn't bring home a pup til our fences were up, so that's why I turned down the pup that was offered to me...Yea, it was hard, but I feel I made the right decision....

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I agree willow. I was looking for a white boxer and a very reputable breeder contacted me saying she had one whose parents were health tested etc but as i said ive been looking for one for january because the finances will be better then and maverick should have finished his shots and microchip and neutering...less of a financial strain in the new year.

I was in love with this little white puppy but i had to turn it down despite how badly i wanted her. In the end i think i did the right thing although i think about that puppy all the time and wish things could have been different. Maybe it was just not meant to be and in the new year when things are settled with Maverick a bit more ill have my girl. If Maverick has problems tho we will put things on hold

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am definately wanting a brindle really bad, but I have to make myself wait until the new year also.  I have 2 kids and a bunch of family to buy Christmas presents for so I can't spend that kind of money yet on a puppy.  But I know how you feel....I want one really bad.  I'm looking everyday!

·
Registered
496 Posts
LOL :lol: I am right there with you. I just got haven two weeks ago and she needs a friend. LOL  :lol: I told my husband we need to start our search soon. He laughed.
Samantha and Haven

·
Registered
780 Posts
Isn't Molly only 4 months old?  That seems like a VERY quick turn around to have another litter of puppies for her mother.  I would really be checking out the breeder if that is the case.  That isn't very responsible breeding.  

It is very hard to resist boxer babies and they are very addictive but as others said it is much better to think about all the finances and time required to care for them.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree I am adventuring into showing so not only are we looking for another boxer baby but a flashy fawn to show. The girl I have now is ch sired and is going to adventure into showing to but she is a classic brindle so I am thinking I am not going to get my hopes up. I do hope she finishes though. I just have herd so many horror story's.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I agree I am adventuring into showing so not only are we looking for another boxer baby but a flashy fawn to show. The girl I have now is ch sired and is going to adventure into showing to but she is a classic brindle so I am thinking I am not going to get my hopes up. I do hope she finishes though. I just have herd so many horror story's
Color makes no difference and in fact the classics are kicking more butt in the ring lately than the flashy.   I know many breeders who will take a classic show prospect over a flashy in a second depending on the substance of the dog.   So I personally would never rule out a dog due to color.   Classics (IMO) with true to standard characteristics hold a higher value in my book.   Too much flash can throw off certain characteristics like nose lenght and the definition of the black mask.   Classics seem to thrive with these!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
As long as the color of the dog is within the breed standard, it shouldn't be that much of an issue when purchasing a show prospect as Heather has pointed out.  It may very well be your preference, but there is so many more things ahead of color on the list for a show prospect and I really doubt any reputable breeder (exception being those that having been breeding a long time and really know how their puppies develop) can even begin to say that it is a show puppy before the age of 5 months of age.  Your not going to find a great show dog at 8 weeks that's for certain!!!  Too much competition in the ring and unless you have experience in the ring and/or with knowing the different judges you'd probably do better to hire an experienced handler that knows the different judges and what is currently winning to help you find a solid breeder and a great show prospect.  I would agree with the above comment that if your girl is 4 months old and your puppy's mom already has another littler on the ground - that is not the act of a responsbile breeder.  In fact, that is just plain abuse.  Of course that's just my opinion.  But I think most responsible breeders would have to agree with that position.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Does anyone have a preference in how many years apart it is nice to have 2 boxers?

Better to have them somewhat close (i.e. 1-2 years) so they go through the same hyper energy levels together?

Or nice to have them 5-6 years apart as the young dog will help keep the older dog "lively" through those mature years?

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I think everyone will have different opinions.

For me personally hanna was 1.5 years when we got Kash.  I would say make sure one is fully trained and def. get the first year out of the way - Its the most expensive.   Then based on timing, and finances another can be a fit.   Ideally for me and some of my friends who have two - 1.5 to 2 years is ideally for us, however every situation is different.

I personally would not recommend another pup for a new pup owner right away esp if new to the breed.  learn and enjoy your first, so you dont get boggled down by the second.   Also if $$ is of a concern, its a lot more burden with two and shall one fall ill, that's added expense.  

I think you have to look at your time, resources, and finances and find the best answer that is right for you.   Some maybe full time stay home people, with deep pockets and can take it on, other not so.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I guess I'm definitely in the minority! I don't really have the desire for two. Twelve maybe...but not two!  :p  No ..... one furkid is enough for me right now. With my two skinkids, Maddie, two evil cats, and a hubby, that's about as much as I can handle right now!  :wink: Because boxers love human companionship I think they do make great single dogs too!  :)  One day when the kids are grown up a bit I will have my 20 acres of land somewhere where there will be tons of boxers running around.... 8->

·
Registered
780 Posts
When we had three we had they were about 4-6 years apart.  That also meant that our poor Calli was about 10 when we got a new puppy.  Lucky that we had Berkeley at that time who was about 5 so she was able to help wear out the puppy.  Calli would play a little with the puppy but mostly would only take so much excitement from the pup and then just lay down and let they puppy tug and crawl on her!  :D   I think both ways are great.  If they are close in age they wear each other out, if there is an older one the younger one will help keep them in shape and active.....which is what we have (Teaki 6 and Ziggi 1 1/2).

·
Registered
24 Posts
We were in the same situation and took the advice of others to wait until Penny was about a year old before we got another.  WE WERE REALLY GLAD WE DID....it was amazing how much faster Vegas picked up on this...not because he was smarter or anything but because the older dog "showed him the ropes".....the 2nd was MUCH easier...but definately glad we waited.

Potty training two at a time would be a real handful I am sure!!  :)

Now we just have to resist the urge for a 3rd......our control= a group of puppies we visit weekly at the dog park!  :):)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I also must add the "hand-me-downs" for the second boxer are great.

So save all those puppy collars, toys they dont use etc.  Can come in great handy when you get a new one!!!   Poor Kash, he got used goods!   ha ha

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
We have two boxers, and I love both of them to death and wouldn't trade them for the world.  With that being said, I will never personally have two dogs again.  I love them both to death but sometimes I ask myself what I was thinking.  Twice the food costs, vet costs, and since ours go most places with us, it limits some of the places we can vacation.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
So lets seriously look at this dliemna. You want a boxer pup and Wifey is saying no. So what do you do??? Do you back down? DO you get one anyways and suffer the consequences? The answer is neither. Here is what you do...

Go to your breeder and put your deposit or pay in full for your new boxer addition. Then you offer the breeder a little extra (she/he is going to have to help you out). Wheny our pup is old enough to come home you have the breeder wrap the puppy up in a cotton cloth or towel I guess would work and fasten the cloth with a HUGE Safety pin. Have the breeder drop the puppy off at like 2 A.M. by ringing your doorbell and taking off. Your breeder is now the "stork" you see. So now that the "stork" brought the puppy it is okay because you had "NO" control over where the stork landed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts