Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tennessee dog owners have launched an effort to change the annual rabies immunization laws required by various counties in Tennessee to the 3 year standard recommended by the CDC's National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians and The American Veterinary Medical Association (see letter below from professional dog trainer, Jan Casey).  I will be writing in a letter of support soon as well.

What You Can Do to Help

Send an e-mail to the contacts below -- it's easy to copy and paste addresses into an e-mail.  If you're ambitious, please phone some of the contacts or fax them a letter, and circulate this message to all of  your dog-owning contacts and ask them to help the dogs of Tennessee by sending an e-mail to request a change in rabies immunization protocol from a 1 year to the national 3 year standard.

Cookeville Contacts http://www.cookeville-tn.org/ Mayor Sam Sallee [email protected] Phone: 931-520-5241 City Manager Jim Shipley [email protected] Phone: 931-526-9591 Fax: 931-526-4897 Cookeville City Council Members:[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Putnam County Contacts County Executive:  Kim Blaylock [email protected] 300 E. Spring Street Room 8, Cookeville, TN 38501 Phone: (931) 526-2161 Fax: : (931) 528-1300 County Attorney Jeffrey G. Jones, 1420 Neal Street, Cookeville, TN 38501; Phone: 931-372-9123, Fax: (932) 372-9181

Many thanks for assisting the dogs in your own and other states!  Your efforts helped defeat a proposed change in Maine's laws and are making the change to a 3 year protocol in Cheyenne possible and may also result in Wichita switching to the 3 year standard (negotiations are encouraging on that front).  Excellent work!

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST THIS MESSAGE

To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 12:06 PM
Subject: rabies vaccination protocol

Dear Sirs/Madams:

I am writing to you to request a change in the rabies immunization requirements in Cookeville and Putnam County. Having recently changed veterinary services from Overton County to Putnam County, I was astounded to find that this county still mandates a yearly rabies vaccination rather than the three year of surrounding counties. I am writing to you to request you review and change this policy and adopt the national 3 year standard. As a dog trainer, board member for the Friends of the Cookeville/Putnam County Animals, and advocate for healthy dogs, I ask you to review the current facts available on this topic.

I will begin with the fact that the State of Tennessee, after thorough review of studies done nationwide by leading veterinary vaccine research scientists and universities, has deemed the three year rabies vaccination to be effective in preventing the spread of rabies. The annual rabies vaccine now given is simply a three year vaccine that has been relabeled for 1 year use. The University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine and Dr. Ronald Schultz of this school have determined

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TENNESSEE Rabies Laws-Letter to Governor & Attorney Gene

Below is a copy of the letter I have just sent to Tennessee's Governor and Attorney General regarding the state's rabies immunization protocol for dogs.  

What You Can Do to Help

Contact the following:

Governor Bredesen [email protected] Phone: 615.741.2001 Fax: 615.532.9711
Attorney General Cooper Phone: 615-741-3491 615/741-5860   Fax: 615/741-2009
Mr. Bernie Rhoades, Tennessee Department of Health [email protected] Phone: (615) 741-8539
Dr. John Dunn, Tennessee Department of Health [email protected]  Phone: 615.741.7247
Your Legislator Tennessee Legislature http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/ (full list of TN legislators e-mails in my original post above, just copy and paste)

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

May 12, 2008

Governor Phil Bredesen                                           Attorney General Robert E. Cooper, Jr.
Tennessee State Capitol                                           P.O. Box 20207
Nashville, TN 37243-0001                                        Nashville, TN 37202-0207

RE:   [b:2bakxlqo][u:2bakxlqo]  Tennessee

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TN Rabies Laws--New Yahoo Group Formed

TENNESSEE Rabies Laws--New Yahoo Group Formed

A new Yahoo Group, RabiesVaccinationChallengeinTN, has been formed http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rabi ... roup&slk=3 .

This list is intended for those interested in taking action to prompt the State of Tennessee close the loophole in the law that allows counties and veterinarians to override the state's anti-rabies law, Title 68, Chapter 8 which specifies a 3 year rabies vaccine to be given no more often than once every 3 years. This group seeks to raise awareness about the known duration of immunity of the rabies vaccine, the adverse reactions associated with it, and to ensure that Tennessee's anti-rabies law calling for a 3 year rabies vaccine is consistently enforced statewide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts