Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do boxers really go through the terrible twos?  :?    The past week or so Lola has been a naughty boxer!  She's been biting and growling.  When you go to walk past her she'll jump up and try to bite your hands.  If you want her to do something that she doesn't want to...forget it!  If we're playing fetch she won't drop the ball/toy she wants to play tug-of-war and she growls.  I think partly we're to blame, we've been so busy that we haven't kept up with her training.  Think it's just a phase?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It's a and the fact you haven't kept up with her training.  Be patient...She'll come around.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
521 Posts
I believe they do have a terrible two's phase, and Beckham seems to be slowly but surely coming out of it.  He's 6 months old on Thursday :)

Beckham does the growl too when we play tug of war, so it's important that you win :)  Usually I say "DROP IT" and snap my fingers; it seems to be pretty effective.  

Keep at it!  Little Lola will get there :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Zeus is the same way with a toy. He will not let it go when i ask. At the lake he will swim out to get the toy and come back and puts it in a death grip and it is impossible to get it from him. He isnt two yet but it seems like it. So we take more than one toy because Dante likes to keep playing while Zeus is stubborn.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Chloe used to hang on to the toy too - so we'd get up and leave the room - so now when she wants to play she lays it our feet - it took a couple of months for her to get it though.  For all of those with boxers between the ages of 6 months and a year - it TOTALLY gets better at a year - its like something finally clicked.  Hang in there!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yes... you must stay consistant. If not she slowly takes over as being "in charge" and those are just little signs to prove that's how she feels. You need to take the leadership position back and STAY consistant. Training is basically an EVERY min of EVERY day thing. If you go back to training/being in charge her "terrible two's should disappear. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
what age does this start and how long does it last???

Ginsy is 5 months old now- and in addition to a huge increase in appetite I am also noticing some extra stubbornness and aggression with my children.

She is definately jockying for position in the family.  nipping at ankles and jumping on the kids when they are playing.  She knocked my youngest DD down tthe other day and started nipping at the back of her head and neck.  I freaked but my DD often gets on the floor with Ginsy and Ginsy always gets on my DD like that.  I get so mad at DD and tell her to get off the floor and not let Ginsy get on her like that.  But she is only 3 and doesn't really understand-  she thinks it's funny. :roll:  :roll:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Sounds like my Sarah... who picks up his sqeaker football tennis thing lol and runs around the house with it trying to get him to chase her... she's not even 2... well almost 2. She drives me crazy.. she's been laying ALL over Odin lately too. Sometimes he'll get fussy and growl and leave. BUT I don't really blame him I mean she'll do it to me and it hurts sometimesso I know it's gotta hurt him... so I try to keep her from doing that. She thinks the growls are funny. I try to explain but she has nooooooooooooo clue!

·
Registered
316 Posts
LOL :rofl: Running around the house with the dogs favorite toy!! :rofl:  Ohhh I get that one too!!  Not only from my 3yo but also from my 5yo DS! 8O  

Then want me to rescue them when Ginsy gets too rowdy.  :aua:
"WELLLLL!  I told you not to antagonize her like that"  or
" GET UP OFF THE FLOOR!!!  Don't let her climb up on you like that!!!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts