Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - new here.
I adopted a 6 or 7 yr-old female spayed boxer 5 weeks ago. She loves everyone - strangers, children. The neighbour's dogs bark on the other side of the fence a lot. Abby, my boxer, did nothing but look at them and walk away for 5 weeks. Now, she has begun to charge the fence when the male, neutered puppy (large hunting dog) is just walking by the fence. She doesn't growl or bark - she just rushes toward the fence and looks aggressive. Is she claiming territory now?
I don't feel comfortable with this first sign of aggression. Is this a problem? Her territory claim? I also have a 6 month-old male intact Lab/Spaniel mix (he gets neutered in a month). The boxer, Abby, is like a Mom to the Lab mix puppy. I adopted them at the same time and they adore each other. Could Abby be acting protective of the territory now because of the puppy?
I have never owned a boxer myself so I am just concerned as I want to raise a well-adjusted adult dog.
Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
She probably is warning off the neighbor dog from her territory and protecting the puppy.  It would make sense that she has only been with you for 5 weeks and now this has started.  She has finally feeling that this is her home.  That said, this practices behavior you might not want.  You will have to supervise the dogs out in the yard and if the behavior starts up with the neighbor dog tell her "NO!" in a firm voice. You will probably also need her on a long leash (15 feet or more) so you can have some control over it without being right on top of her if the neighbor dog is out.  

Nano

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nano!

I am out in the yard most of the time with my dogs. When I see this happen, I have done as you suggested. Say No! and then distract her. She listens really well.
Before this started to happen the neighbour's dogs barked constantly right at the fence. The male hunting dog just wants to play, but the female Shitsu (neighbour's dog) charged the fence for 5 weeks before Abby started to do the same. Most of the time Abby, the boxer just ignores the neighbour dogs (she even met them outside the fences the day she arrived and there was no sign of aggression among all 4).
The interesting thing is that when the Shitsu charges my neighbour's think it's cute, but when Abby (a big boxer) does the same and only after 5 wks, he's nervous and thinks she's mean. I think it will be ok though as Abby listens really well - but she is really protective - an amazing dog in all respects - despite her last home being horrible.
Thanks again for your help!
Nat

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
It is wonderful she listens so well.  Be sure to highly reward her with lots of praise :good, good, girl!  and an occassional treat for this.  It is funny how when a little dog pulls this or bites someone for some reason that is cute behavior and when a big dog does it people act like you have Cujo!

Best of luck with all.

Nano

1 - 4 of 4 Posts