Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: A few pics with the new camera

Hi there,

I have Maddie 4 year old female boxer and just adopted Miller 2 year old male boxer. Any advice on how I should handle the territorial issues over food and toys? Also if my husband gives affection to Miller Maddie gets upset and he does everything to include her. I just want to make sure they get along other than that they seem to get along great.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I am sure that Miller and Maddie are still trying to sort out their places in the pack.  Hope it settles down soon.  I am not an expert but have always heard that if you pet one you should also be petting the other at the same time.  If you pet one first and then the other, it will seem like favortism to the other.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Here's some of the things we did when we brought Angel home and she was 18 mos and introduced her to Samson who was 10.....First off, give treats to Maddie first, feed her first, she needs to know that her "place" has not been taken away....Put up the toys for now, let them work out their problems with out other influences.....Find time to spend just with Maddie alone, even if it's for 5 minutes....If you do pet Miller, make sure Maddie gets a pet as well.....Feed in separate rooms for now, that may help with the food aggression...Samson actually took to having Angel around very easily, he's a very laid back guy, so that helped a lot, but  you could tell he resented the extra attention I paid to Angel as she had to watched closely, taken out a lot etc, so I developed a plan that in the evenings after Angel was crated, it was Samson time...Let him up on the bed, for some cuddling and scratching and he was in heaven.....Hope some of this helps...It does take time, be patient

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
barb and willow pretty much summed up what i was thinking.i am sure once Maddie realizes she is not being "replaced" she will be more comfortable,and you won't be able to separate them from each other!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
When we brought Lucy home, there was a food  and toy issue as well. Lucy is very submissive so it has worked itself out. But at first we separated them with a baby gate but put the bowls just beside each other on either side of the gate. That way they were eating next to each other but still separated - now they are fine. I always feed Sam first and make sure that if one gets attention so does the other. Don't worry, they will work it out, that sounds very normal based on what I have been through.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the good advice. Today is the third day and they seem to be getting along better every day. Maddie is not as jealous. It was so cute today....Miller was dreaming and wimpering in his sleep and Maddie went over, made sure he was ok and gave him some kisses. Then this afternoon we went to the vet and when Maddie was taken for some tests, Miller was crying. When she came back they both were wiggling and kisses all around:) Miller has a small ear infection and a small yeast infection in his paw pads. Maddie was tested for pancreaitis and it was negative!!!!! WOO HOO:) Tonight went really well with the food too Maddie did not block Miller out of the kitchen in fact she waited for him to finish eating so they can go lay down in thier beds. I think things are getting better day by day :lol:

Thanks again!!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
that is great! i am glad everything is going well, sounds like everything is going to be fine. :)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
thats wonderful !!!! i cant add anything more than everyone else did..i did the same that willow did with samson and angel and these 2 are best best friends doing just what u jsut said happend today
matter of fact it was at the vet today also and mine could careless about the vet..they jump all around kiss everyone haha...when isis was in the other room which was literally right outside the door onyx barked and cried until she came back around the corner...

im glad things are going so well ...whooo hooo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts