Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,
My wife and I have a 14 wk old boxer (Gabi). I have always wanted a boxer and she is so much fun! Gabi and I play together all the time. I have pretty much stoped watching tv because she keeps me so busy. My wife has never lived with a dog before and for the most part she does really well with her.

Unfortunatley Gabi seems to not respect her all the time. When she  corrects the pup, Gabi tends to growl at her or bite at her sweater. When she finally releases she runs away and keeps barking at her. It is  really frustrating her and she is becoming dishearted with our pup. She never does that to me. If she starts to get into trouble, I tell her "leave it" and snap my fingers and for the most part she listens.

My wife bonds with her by taking her for walks, giving her baths, medical treatments (ringworm drops), and cuddling. I rough house with her and kick the ball around with her as well as walk her. She spends about equal time with each of us with around our work schedules. She get about 2 walks a day by my wife.  How do we get Gabi to mind both of us equally? Within the first couple weeks we had her, and she would get out of hand I would grab her collar and pin her until she calms down. I think it helped to establish my leadership with her. When my wife does it she won't calm down and growls and tries to bite her the whole time. I am getting concerned with her behavior and my wife's discouragement. Have any of you gone through this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 14wk old pup (Porsha). Now she will listen to me and do at the most everything I say command wise (come,sit,lay,leave it,etc.) Now at first she didn't listen to my wife much she (porsha) just ignored my wife. Then I would step in and she would mind. But what we did is I got my wife doing the treat with the commands also and taking her out to potty and everything I've done. Just taking turns. Lately things are getting better and she's (porsha) listening to my wife better. I think within another month she will be fine. Its something you can try. I've also only had my pup for 4 weeks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input! That helps me a lot and is comforting. She is starting puppy kindergarten later this month. How much does Porsha weigh? Gabi is 23 lbs. We took her home on 12/10. She only weighed 14 lbs and it's amazing how quickly she has grown. Our girl doesn't liek to nap too much. All she wants to do is follow us around the house. That's another way I get her to stop chewing things she shouldnt. I just walk into another room and she goes right behind me. We are getting her a Martingale collar to train her when we go on walks. She wants to drag us around. Especially on the way back home!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Maybe you and your wife should both attend puppy kindergarten and take turns giving the commands and treats.  Also, in our house we had the problem of the pup not minding our son.  My son started feeding the pup and the pup was much more responsive to him after that.
Zhanna

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
[quote="Zhanna\";p=\"1788":3pd8o52l]Maybe you and your wife should both attend puppy kindergarten and take turns giving the commands and treats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise! Over the weekend I caught her doing it to my wife again and was able to quickly dicipline her. It seemed to work as she was really sweet with her the rest of the weekend. By the way  I posted more pics of her in the photo album section.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts