Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember Willow suggesting that i not give Maverick free roam of the house at his age (4 mo) and keep him tethered to me so that i can catch him when he has an accident. I have been doing this now for a few weeks and it has pretty much been going great, no accidents in the house as long as we take him out every few hours and when he comes out of his crate.

My question is, is it cruel to have him always confined in some way. He is either in his crate, when we are at school/work or sleep or tethered to us. He isnt allowed to just walk freely around the house. Is this fair? Am I doing things right? I feel like I am being too confining with him. He does go on walks and gets free play time which is off leash and supervised for about an hour a day and also he gets "together time" before bed for about 30 mins to an hour where he just lays in bed with us and chills out.

How do i make the transition from the tether to a little more free roam (supervised of course) time? We are now allowing him about 20 mins of free roaming time after each potty break to see how he does. I know he is not housebroken because he will not tell me when he needs to go pee (sometimes he gives a little bark) and if i do not take him out on time he will try and pee or poop in the house.

How will the housebreaking thing work? will i always have to time things or will there come a point where he will hold it till i let him out or give me notice himself that he needs to go pee?

So many questions. sorry about this.

Oh btw when he is tethered he has about 6 feet of lead to walk away from me and come back to me etc.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
awww i cant answer for her lol but i think you are doing a wonderful job!!! that takes alot of dedication

kudos to you sweetie ..it sound slike its working out :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Wow!  Sounds like you're doing it right to me.  We got a big jingle bell and put a string through it and hung it from the door nob of the door henry goes out to go potty.  I hung the bell low enough for him to be able to touch it with his nose.  Whenever I went to go outside to take him potty I would ring the bell and say let's go outside, let's go potty.  After a couple of weeks, he started ringing the bell himself.  Now whenever he wants to go out, he rings the bell. :D   It's so cute!  When we don't get to the door fast enough, he reaches up with his paw and whacks the poo out of the bell! :lol:   Cute and funny! :D

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Wow is right.  That's some serious dedication to keep him on a leash all the time.  Oggie is 4 months, I never kept him on a leash in the house.  He's definitely progressing but he still has accidents from time to time.  He always does it out of my sight though so he knows he's not supposed to do it.  Usually it's just a case of where I waited too long to take him out.  I think your method is definitely working but as he gets better you can probably trust him more and more.  For the most part, I can trust Oggie for at least a while after he goes out.   I don't think your method is "cruel" but I think you can start giving him gradually more freedom and trust and see how he responds.  I've found that you can trust a puppy that is sound asleep a lot more than one who is wide awake.  I've actually left Oggie alone for 10 minutes or so in a closed room as long as he was in a calm state and he's usually fine.  But then one time he went through the trash so I knew that was his limit.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well lets first start off that every dog housetrains differently. Reese is 9 months old, i dont keep her tethered to me, but she is NOT allowed in any room if i am not in it. If i come upstairs to the computer then i bring her in the room and close the door. Her and Savannah play while i am doing what i need to. when i am done we go outside (i treat it as if they just got out of the kennel) then they have free roam of the downstairs. I put a baby gate up so they cant go upstairs. As long as Reese knows i could possibly be watching her she is an angel, but before i did this (babygate and stuff) i would find poop on the stairs or a nice soggy spot from pee while i was working upstairs...you know what i am talking about. if you havent already i suggest getting the baby gate. that way he does have more "freedom" but is still limited to where you are with out being tetherd.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
They also have tall dog gates, for a little more money.  I've known people with adult boxers that use them.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
With Tabs (my lab mix) I put her in our yard right when we got her before she even went in the house.  She would come get me when she needed out, or wake me up in the middle of the night so I could take her out.  I didn't have to do any training at all.  It was such a shock I thought there was something wrong :) its never that simple.  Well when we got Duke, I learned how hard it really was.  He was like a freaking fountain, he was peeing all the time.  He is 9 months now and completely potty trained as long as I let him out when he needs to.  But it took a lot of patience and cleaning.  

Good luck, I think it probably would have been a lot easier (and cleaner) if I when the route you are going.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
with the baby gate i guess it is harder to jump since we put it on the stairs and our staircase isnt straight there is a corner...so if they attempted to jump it, then they would smack into the wall!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I don't know how people with real jobs deal with house training a puppy.  I work from home and I've barely left the house for the past month.  It's a lot of work!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
It hard i can tell you that. I believe that those who stay at home have a quicker success rate and those who work full time it can take a bit longer.....that is just what i think though. Reese is 9 months and we still have to watch her because both my bf and i work full time.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We both work full time, and have a dog walker.  Hanna took up to a year to be fully trained, then we got Kash, and it was back to the beginning -

Cannot wait until they are both trained.  Saves me $$$ on Nature's Miracle!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think the one problem with working from home is he's way too attached to me.  Even more than a usual puppy.  It's hard to even leave the room sometimes.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My female is attached to my hip.   Not sure why, maybe because when we first got her hubby was traveling and I pretty much raised and trained her.   She def. shows favorship to me.   Kash love anything and anyone - he's a love bug!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We both work full time but we work the same hours and I am always home at night so they stay out from the time we get home till I have to go to work the next morning and all weekend.  I really haven't had that many problems.  When we first got Duke it was alot of cleaning.  He has the biggest crate I could find.  He really doesn't have any accidents anymore.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Donya, start letting  Maverick have some "free time" off leash, short sessions and see how he does....Oh definitely, he's starting to "get it", which is a good time to let him have a bit of freedom...I'm really glad he is doing well and yes as he gets older, he will be able to hold it longer....When we brought Angel home at 18 mos, she was not potty trained, I despaired that I was ever going to get her trained and it's like one day the light bulb when off and no more accidents!! Now she sleeps all nite, uncrated and is fine :) So, yes, there is hope, it's just at the time it doesn't seem like it....You are doing awesome with the potty training, I commend you for that, it's not easy sometimes and it does get frustrating...Ideally, Maverick will come to you or stand by the door when he needs to go out. See he knows that door means potty, so they eventually make the connection...Course Angel prefers to stand about 5 ft from me and drill me with that famous Boxer stare  :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maverick is awesome in his crate. he barely makes noise only i he needs to pee or poop and he never has an accident in it so that part is doing well. it is only when he has free roam that he will make accidents because he doesnt go to the door to let me know he has to go potty.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Have you thought about using a bell like some people do? Maybe that might help him...I think Barb put a set of wind chimes by her door & Kiah rings those.. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts