Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about out of the purina one puppy Baxter's been on and am getting ready to switch him over  to canidae. So I added just a little bit for the first time this morning. After he was finished he went over to his food container and acted like he wanted more. So I pulled out half a hand full of Purina and half a had full of Canidae put them both on the floor and told him to go at it. He smelled both and went and and gobbled up the canidae. Then when he only had a little left I mixed them to together on the floor and he sniffed the canidae out and ate it first. So I guess it's safe to say he's probably not going to have a problem with me switching his food! I sure hope it agrees with him  cuz I know this if a better food for him. Any way just thought Id share!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hope he likes the Canidae and that it agrees with his tummy,  We tried Canidae for a couple months and and they loved it.  Only problem we had with it was dry flakey coats, so you might want to supplement with salmon oil if that happen to you.  Good luck with your new food.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hahaha...Sounds like Maddie when I switch kibbles. She will pick out the new kibble and spit the old on the floor!  :lol:  Good luck with the switch!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jeff....my Stella LOVES the canidae. I use it as treats when she goes out too.

Also...That is an amazing picture of your pup.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I am just in the process of changing Tango to Canidae and he LOVES it too.  I mixed for the first couple of days, but he likes it so much I said hell with it and have just switched completely.  No problems!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
good luck with the switch, and he is an adorable pup :) I think we might switch to Canidae too, I bought a little bag to mix with her current food I'm also going to buy a small bag of Taste of the Wild to mix and see which  one seems to be better.

G

·
0 Posts
We went from Pedigree to Canidae with Bruce.  Like you said, the would dig out the Canidae and not eat the other food.  He liked at first but we noticed the excessive poops, runny eyes, and hair missing from behind his ears.  

Hope it works out.  Switching food is no fun.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It took a while to get Cooper's stomach used to Canidae.  With all the other stuff I was putting in him at the time, I can't say for sure it was the food, though.  The previous owner fed him Iams which I could not get myself to pick a bag of that up for a transition period, so I actually went straight to Nutro, then Canidae.  He's been doing well on it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have noticed he has had a lot more eye boogies lately but it kinda started right before the canidae.  His eyes have been getting really red too.
For the last week here it's been really nice much warmer and the pollen is really coming out. So I'm not sure if it's the canidae or the spring weather............I'v just started giving him a little in his bowl with the purina one so I may just go back to the old stuff for a few days and see if it helps.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've never had a problem with Canidae. I transitioned Nico over to it & he enjoys it, but Cindi said he was on it before - so that, I'm sure, made it easier on his tummy. And personally I think eye boogies are more commonly related to a poor choice in diet... but allergies, play a part too. BoxerBoys - I'd suggest continuing with your transition to Canidae, you very well may notice less eye boogies as a result. But eye boogies are common & there's no way to officially get rid of them. They're natural & a must. Just like us, their eyes 'flush' themselves daily. I clean my pups' faces every day (usually more than once).

However, if you're noticing a lot more discharge than normal (and it's continuous), I suggest giving the vet a call/making an appt. There is more likely an eye infection going on. Since you also suggested his eyes are more red lately, I think you should keep a close watch on him. If he begins rubbing/scratching his eyes often or squinting, an eye infection might possibly be the culprit.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah was allergic to something in Canidae, runny poo, terrible eye boogers, hair loss behind her ears, shedding more than normal.  Once we started ProPlan Selects all that went away and stayed away.  I think it just depends on the dog what foods they can or cannot tolerate.

·
Registered
693 Posts
We also had the same problem with Donner. He loved canidae but loose poop and real bad eye boogeys. Have them both on Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul. Minimal eye boogeys and firm poop.  :dance:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts