Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Thought I would pass along this - we were taught this in one of our obedience classes

TEACHING "WAIT"

Do this game with the crate door open or closed.   Give your dog your command to go to their crate.   Have treats on you so if you have to bait the crate they don't pattern on the sound or action of you going to get the treats.  

When they go in on their own click (or praise heavlily) as soon as they go in and toss a couple of treats in, preferable fro mthe side or rear, mix it up.   Close the crate door and periodically toss a couple of treats in.  

Open the crate door and tell the dog to "WAIT".   If the dog does not understand "WAIT", stand directly in front of the crate door, so the dog is blocked from getting out and toss treats in on the side.  Once the dog is waiting when the door is opened gradually increase distance and decrease treating.  Do not ever stop treating occasionally.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Interesting game Heather, that could be very useful in crate training also..Teaching pups that good things happen when you go in your crate  :)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah... I taught Odin "wait" while crate training. Didn't pick it up from any where though... was just running through my own idea's of how to get him to enjoy the crate. He doesn't like the crate even still BUT he does do "wait". He's awesome when getting fed... I make him "wait" before I tell him "good boy" which is the signal to eat. That's where we get the most practice.

Thanks for sharing though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts