Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came home today to Piper...and as soon as I get home, I take Piper out to go to the bathroom.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Re: The dog walker left her choke collar...wait, what!?!?

Definitely bring it out in the open.  You don't want to wait around and have her keep using it on Piper.  Tell her that you do not use choke collars and explain to her the methods you are using to leash train Piper so she can continue them.
Whether you can continue to trust her judgment is up to you... 4 months is way too young to be using a choke collar.  I would never use one- but 4 months is ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

uhmm id be mad..

i DO use them on my dogs BUT only b/c they dont get ruined in the salt water..my dogs dont NEED them..and they dont wear collars unless we leave the yard..therefore the collar doesnt choke onto their necks..if u notice in my pics i post both dogs collars are ALOT bigger than they should be..on purpose !

SOME dogs really need them and used properly are fine and dont hurt them at all..good tool for teaching a BIG dog to learn to walk on lead...etc..

BUT it is YOUR pup..YOUR choice..and it is NOT her place to use one especially since you do NOT even own one !!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I would talk to her about it like goodgirl said, you want it out in the open so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

wait..chain choke or pinch choke?

i wouldnt use a pinch...chains are just easier for us since we are constantly in salt water and i want the dogs to have tags on at all times in public

they have sea turtle nylon collars too but would get ruined in water

maybe she jsut doesnt know better who knows..talk to her and see what she says and go from there :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It was a chain choke

·
Registered
4,213 Posts

OMG I would bring it up right away if it were me! Let us know how it goes.

G

·
0 Posts

oh yeah i'd be ticked too, but i'd approach it as if she was innocently ignorant to it's dangers and FYI her.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Oh my lordie, I would be ticked! I would confront her right away and if she acts like she doesn't care to listen to you is when I would smack her upside her head with that collar.

·
Registered
77 Posts

I would be upset; it's your decision as to what kind of training aids you want to use. If your training with loose collars, when by all means that should be used by everyone who works with Piper. I think you should express your concerns to the dog walker, since this is a simple request, but one that is very important to you and Piper.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Wow. I would think that she would ask her clients when she starts if it's okay for her to use certain collars for them. I use a choke chain on Sadie from time to time, but she's full grown for one thing. Put the collar on the dogwalker and see how she likes it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

It's so important to maintain consistancy with your pup's education. If she is not following your lead, she is undermining you. You are paying her for a service and she has no right to make this sort of decision. I would feel betrayed by her. Definately tell her what your expectations are.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

Kalyn\";p=\"126304 said:
It's so important to maintain consistancy with your pup's education. If she is not following your lead, she is undermining you. You are paying her for a service and she has no right to make this sort of decision. I would feel betrayed by her. Definately tell her what your expectations are.

Good luck.
Yeah i agree. it takes a person 2 seconds to undo all your hard work and training efforts.
Dont forget one vitally important fact here, your the client and she must adapt to your needs or ditch her. And afterwards, id pay her a couple of unsuspected visits to make sure she is doing what she is told. :x

Im lucky enough not to need a dog walker caus i finish so early from work in the afternoon and dont have skin kids so i do it myself, but OMG if i had to get one they would think i was the bitch from hell, they'd have a list as long as there arms of do's and donts and id be jumping out from behind bushes around every corner :lol:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts

Oh my goodness!  I'd be angry!  Def. need to talk to her about it.  Tell her absolutely NO choke chain!  Oh my goodness!  To me that's as bad as a baby sitter spanking a child.  Not her place!  Woo I'm hot! :eek:nfire:   You can mess with me, but don't you mess with my babies!!! :evil:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

A nice calm talk with her would be a good thing..Just explain your reasons why you don't want a choke chain used and what you have been using...Like was said, she may not know better, but it's a great chance to educate.... :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Have you had a conversation with her when you hired her about what kind of collar to use when walking Piper? I wouldn't be that pissed about it just yet. There are people that use these collars, and know how to use these collars the correct way. I've used them to train, and used correctly, they can be a great training tool. Maybe she is one of these people that actually knows how to use them. Maybe she isn't. Bottom line is, if you haven't told her how you want Piper walked, to be consistent with your training, then I really don't think you have anything to be mad about. If you have told her in the beginning then I would just remind her, and ask her why she was using a chain.
Like Willow just said, if you do not want her using a chain, then just explain to her that you don't want her walking Piper with a chain and you'd rather her just use the collar or harness and lead that you already have for Piper. Shouldn't be a big issue at all.   :)

·
Registered
761 Posts

I would calmly explain how you are training your dog and tell her you expect her to help you train, or at the very least not to affect your training by using it. A 4 month old isn't pulling so much that it is needed anyway.  Some use those collars to train and she may think she's doing you a favor but you are the client. Our dogwalker is great and when she first started she used a European style lead that acts similar to a choke chain.  I didn't think much of it but as I began training Cassius to walk loose leash I didn't want to use it. After a few weeks of her and us doing things differently I asked her not to use it, showed her my "homework" sheet from our obedience class and asked that she follow that.  She was understanding and did what we asked.  There are different ways to train and different trainers see things differently but you have every right to train how you see fit.  Plus 4 months seems to young to use a choke chain.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts

i agree that 4 months is waaaaaay to young to be using a choke chain., i don't think that they should be used at all, but esp so young.i would explain your concerns to her and tell her what you would like her to use and if she is not on board with it.. i would find a new dog walker.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Yeah I'd be livid but would be professional about it and ask her why she used it.   Then if he reason was for pulling then I would offer her what your methods are for training pulling and just ask her to use the same method so that all training is being done the same way- and that way Piper can learn the same behavior from multiple sources.

Also a choke chain is only as good as the person who is training with it.  If she is a dog walker and not a certified dog trainer , then she IMO has no right using a corrective collar on a dog regardless.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

I would be very angry.  And I would defiantely ask her about it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts