Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

The Great RAW Debate!

948 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  4paws 
#1 ·
I feed Guinness raw. He is on K9 Kitchen which is pre-prepared, already has supplements added, fruits, veggies etc. Guinness is thriving on it, clearly. The vet I've taken him to is the same one my breeder goes to and he is very aware that she feeds raw. BOTH times I've taken Guinness in for his shots, he has expressed his dislike of raw and his attitude towards both myself and Guinness is tolerable at best. He knows that my breeder feeds raw and I made it quite clear that I will continue to feed raw. When we took him on Friday for his 4 month shots, he pushed a laminated sheet at my husband and said more and more vets are against raw. He knows our stand on it, but he's pushing hard. Going to call the vet that I took my last boxer to today. He was always great so hoping I don't get the same push back.
Then, last night, I get a text from my cousin and she was saying that she too is against raw. Am I missing something??

#2 ·
Yup. Same feeling towards raw from my old vet. Spoke to one of the techs there. She talked about all the different bacterias in the meat itself, the ease at which the bacteria is spread from dog to human, that they literally bleach down the exam rooms after a dog on raw has been in and even Ontario Veterinary College has a quarantine area for dogs coming in for procedures that are on raw. So now, I'm second guessing!!? Aaagh!!

#3 · (Edited)
Ah yes, I remember my first conversation with the vet tech while she was pre-screening us in, she had asked what i was feeding duke and if looks could kill I'd be a goner. She said raw is not recommended and she says people get sick more often than the dogs themselves being exposed to raw ... maybe if I never cleaned or washed up after.. but I handle dukes meals the same as I handle my own meals..:doh:

don't let a vet talk you out of your decision and what you want for YOUR pet, they just want a cut from their crap kibble that they love to push down your throat. they all have the same speel, especially the vets of Ontario lol I'm pretty sure I've seen that laminated sheet did it have the pros and cons ? I have even had a vet tell me science diet was a better quality than Acana or Fromm that alone told me these guys are not educated enough in nutrition. Bottom line I want my vet for medical advice, not nutrition... I have first had witnessed the amazing results raw has had for my boy, he is finally up to a decent weight, we have been on raw for a little over a year, I can pick up his poops in the yard! That for me was the kicker, the entire time we fed kibble his poops were never consistent. He has so much energy, I don't have issues with yeast anymore, his coat is so soft and shinney, i just shake my head at the fact i was told id have to euthinize my boy if the dirreah persisted.. so i fully support raw....

it makes you feel better perhaps reach out to a holistic vet, I'm not sure their stance on raw but I'm sure they must see that byproduct chicken and corn are not a good choice.

#5 ·
I seem to remember there was a vet conference last year that was very anti-raw. You see, the vets a losing a HUGE profit margin by not being able to sell/push their food so they have taken to using scare tactics. Kibble can also contain salmonella and ecoli which is why it is commonly recalled.

Maybe you need to look for a holistic vet, or do what many people do and find a vet close to you and choose to not disclose that you raw feed. When they ask what you do feed, just say a highend grain free kibble.

I will say this, I AM NOT A FAN OF PREMADES. Why? You might ask....... Because anyone can make them.... There are no rules or regulations on premade pet food in Canada. You have no idea what is in that product from one container to another. You only have their word and it means NOTHING. It means nothing because the source of protein never stays the same. It constantly changes as the market changes so the product will never be consistent, it's impossible. Also, there is no way to properly make sure that each batch is mixed evenly in the correct ratios. Even if made in very small batches.

If you MUST do a premade food for what ever reason. Choose a company that has their licensing and that does guaranteed analysis on their products. Call and ask what quality control measures are in place and how do they keep track of batches in case of recalls.

Iron Will Raw is one company that I would suggest checking out

Also, we had our raw diet analyzed by the OVC as they claimed very few raw diets are completely balanced. They were shocked when the results came back showing that the way we do our diet was 100% balanced :)

#6 ·
Kari, what is your thoughts on big country raw ? I'll look into iron will... I've been feeding big country just for the time being while I'm in school.. we feed Duke mostly from the butchers, but some days he just gets a container of big country

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.