Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idk if it is the food or dungy, but we have such a problem feeding him...

most of the time we can get him to eat the amount he needs to eat but here is how it happens...

We feed him 2 cups in the morning and 2 at night... you have to watch him eat it all or he wont eat it, like if u try to leave he stops, u have to almost cheer him on.  He wants to eat out of my other dogs bowl or he wants it dumped on the ground.  Sometimes the food is split up into 4 different bowls for him to choose what he wants to eat out of... my other dogs wolf their food down in a matter of seconds but dungy takes at least 10 minutes for 2 cups and sometimes he decides he doesnt want to eat.  Im wondering if it could be the food and maybe i should try him on something else.  He is on IAMS large breed right now only cuz that is what he came to me on... i have read what ppl suggest but i just dont want to mess him up when in a way he is ok but i feel like i can 1. give him something better and 2. give him something he wants to eat lots and lots of w/o us cheering him on.

THANKS

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
try a plate? or those dog bowls that look like plates...i know some are funny about bowls..maybe it jsut feels too enclosed for him?

we switched to the chicken soup and they love it..merrick is too rich for them....i know what you mean about switching its so confusing there are so so many...i waited almost a year to switch to find the right one...and something we could stick with that wasnt constantly out

merrick,evo,canidae all of those arent easy to find here and when you do find them..they are out atleast 1/2 the time...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i just found a pet store that basically carries all the breeds that ppl on here use and like... but now what do i choose first to try to change lol... he is 4 and a half months old.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
A plate of maybe a cookie sheet? What a character Dungy is, but he's soo cute, we'll forgive him...It is possible he may be bored with his food, I know Angel went thru a phase that I had to coax her to eat breakfast(old food Nutro), but since we switched a few months back to Chicken Soup she devours her food :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see but sometimes he runs up to the food grabs some and runs and then he is done... does this leaping by the food like im hungry but idk if i want to eat this... i should take a video.

some days he eats 4 cups and some days like a cup or 2... i dont feel like IAMS is good enough for him so i feel like i should change anyways.. i found chicken soup here so im wondering if i should try it

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
try it ..id bet hell love it !!!...and its a great food !!! got an A...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i will... or at least have my parents start the transition being that i dont have him right now cuz im on crutching at school :(... ugh 3 more weeks till i get my baby back... it is sooooo quiet and lonely here w/o him :(.  I might have to take a trip back to indiana to see my baby boy

G

·
0 Posts
Another thing I found is that if Jetta is in her cage, she is very good about eating, but if she is outside, she goes ADD on me and is more likely to not eat.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dungy is ultra ADD... he gets a special eating time away from the other 2 dogs cuz he wants to mess w/ them.  They have to be outside and done w/ their breakfast b4 he can be fed... my parents think he is the most ridiculous dog ever lol

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Soccergk1987\";p=\"66385 said:
dungy is ultra ADD...  my parents think he is the most ridiculous dog ever lol
when my parents were here in august they thought the same of both my dogs hahahahahahaha...how funny is it that not soon after they got home THEIR dog started acting insane and he wasnt here with them...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my two dogs from home are older so they havent had a puppy in forever... let alone a BOXER puppy lol... though i know they love him... somehow dungy is taken away from me so he can take a nap w/ my dad in his chair... and my boyfriends parents love him too... when i get a chance i will take a pic of the sweet doggie bag  from LLBean that his mom got me w/ dungys name on it and a boxer on it... and his dad has a pic of dungy at his work... RIDICULOUS lol

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
OHHHHHH LL Bean...my mom swears by them and i do too lol...all their bags and packs are lifetime guarenteed !!! i am a cape cod chic (native) so we are all about LL Bean and J Crew hahaha..ya ya preppy thats me..hehe

my mom is a doc and has pics on her desk at work...me and hubby, the kids,my sis & bro and a collage pic i made of Onyx & Isis haha not a 1 of her own dog lmaoooooo

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol... i asked drew if the pic of dungy replaced his pic lol

G

·
0 Posts
yeah, it was funny...we went out of town last weekend and my mom watched both of my hyperactive ADD boxer pups...she has 3 dogs of her own...and she said it was EXTREMELY tiring..but she loves them...in small doses...she's taken pics of them to work, etc...but...I think she likes the small/low end of medium dogs best...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the same problem. Cato will not eat his food unless I sit next to him. At times he will eat little by little, and just like you said he will eat the food if I pour it on the floor. It's really frustrating, and I feel like at times I have to remind him to eat. He is on Pro plan right now, and I feel like he's not eating because he doesn't like the food. I did alot of research and decided on Innova. You should check it out. Innova seems promising, and you can order it online www.petfooddirect.com.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i might have to check that out... i agree, i think it is the food lol... what silly puppies boxers can be

my lab will eat anything under the sun... he finishes his 3 cups of food in like a minute literally.

G

·
0 Posts
I was having trouble getting Jetta to eat ANY food...premium edge, canidae, diamond, etc...UNTIL I fed her in the crate...now it's gone within moments!  The crate works...you should try it...takes away distraction

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I put this link in your other post, but I think you should check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com  I don't quite understand the reasoning for some of the methods used to grade foods on the sticky.. some pretty average/low quality foods somehow end up with A's.  anyway, check it out.  6 star foods will have too much protein for a puppy, but try to find a 5 or 4 star food for him :)  It also arms you with knowledge to take to the pet store when looking at the ingredients on the bag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts