Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In chat today, I told several of you that I was considering bringing home a blind Bloodhound.  Well...It's official!!!  I'm brining home a blind bloodhound.  Her name is penny and she's a total doll...

Lilly has been playing with her for a while and now I get to keep her!!!  She is a red and at 95 lbs will be a LARGE member of my family.  My hubby is so excited.  She loves the beach and she even surfs (with her person of course) on a longboard!!!  I'll post up pix after I pick her up tomorrow!!!  I can't wait!!!

This doeas suspend my search fpr another Boxer puppy, but based on Lilly's health at the moment, I think I'm gonna have plenty of time to find one.

I also talked to a Bloodhound breeder and the K-9 unit on island and they agree that she will do well in S&R work.  Hounds, when working, don't use their site very much...it's all about the nose and ears.  Her hearing and sense of smell are spectacular and far above average for her breed, so I think she will excell at her work.  We have a shortage of S&R dogs here, so her training will come in handy!!!!  She will be a civilian K-9 volunteer!!!

I'm so excited  could jump out of my skin!!!

Liz and Lilly

Attachments

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Congratulations Liz, Penny is beautiful and I am so glad you are getting her.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Congrats Liz, I remember you had mentioned her before. I believe..She's really good looking..Now that's a BIG addition to the family! Lol

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cindi--She was born with an eye disease that causes the eye to stop growing at about 6 mths of age.  So at full size her eye is only the size of a six month old puppy.  It causes the eye to degenerate and the sight to die.  Doesn't stop her though.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm actually going to "train" her for S&R trailing work.  Tracking is different, but with trailing all that is really needed to be trained is me...lol!!!  I have to become familiar with her cues for when she picks up a scent, for when she has a solid trail, and for when she is right on the end of the trail.  Bloodhounds are also silent when they work (beneficial for her) and she isn't a "sounder" (barker/howler) anways so I think she'll be great at it.  No ones really taken the time to do anything with her (aside from basic manners) so I think stepping her up a notch and giving her a job will really benefit her and pump up her self esteem..

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Oh poor girl!!! I have never heard of that......learn something new everyday!! Better watch her though......Ive been wanting a bloodhound ever since I was little so when we come visit the islands and she goes missing youll know where she is!!!! Back in NY with Auntie Cindi :wink:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cindi---I actually know a breeder in NY and a couple in the surroundnig area, so if you want a referal let me know.  Also if your up for it an dyou get one...you can get into trailing and s&r and work as a civilian s&r team with the police departments and forest services.  Just an idea...it just instinct to a bloodhound.

nate487---Thank you!  I'm not trying to be a wonderful person, just a wonderful dog lover and owner.

Thank you all...she's a wonderful, BIG girl and I can't wait for tomorrow morning and brining her home!!!

Liz and Lillly

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Congrats! She sounds like she will fit right in. Does this new addition have a name??

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey Liz,   congrats on your Penny.  She's a beauty and such a big girl.  Did you say how old she is?   Wow, getting involved in S&R sounds exciting.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That is great Liz.  How exciting.  My brother is in the police field (deputy) and he works with Bloodhounds on S&R.  He owns four. They are wonderful and super smart.  I love those droop faces and ears.  Actually had one of them in yesterday and he was such a sweetheart!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
How old is she and how did you come to be able to adopt her.  As fantastic a trainer as you are, you won't have any trouble training her or has she already been trained in tracking.  There's no greater reward than to help rescue someone, or she is just so beautiful she'll be great fun for you and Lilly.  Every bloodhound I've ever seen has so many skin folds over their eyes, that being blind shouldn't be that big of deal for her.  I'm so excited for you to get her.  Please posts lots of pictures with her and Lilly.   Congrats! :dance:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bloodhounds are great dogs Liz... always liked them.  Mastray and I are a multi-breed family too, and like you, we're done with the two-Boxer family idea due to our current circumstances, but we do love Odin and will always have a Boxer in this home.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts