Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first found this forum, I wasn't able to work (I'm a published author) because the dogs "needed" me all the time. Now, I can come upstairs and they're so used to be shut downstairs that they stay down there without me shutting the gate. It's too cool! They know they're allowed to come up after dinner, and I have a big dog bed in my office (that Jasper hogs) and one in the bedroom, that has become Selena's. This was my dream when I got them, and I love to look over and see Jasper snoozing across the room.

Now for my question: both dogs need baths, and as soon as I get this latest book off to my beta reader, I'm going to give them one. However, both are losing hair. Selena's losing on the sides of her tummy, and Jasper has a spot just in front of his hip on one side. I think he might have a spot on the other side, as well. I see no crusty stuff or anything that makes me think it might be mange. I suspect there are fleas, and plan to buy flea collars next month when I get paid. The shampoo is a flea shampoo and so I know that will help. They have a big back yard to play in, and I wonder if they could have snagged themselves on brambles, but I've seen no dog hair in the yard and no scratches on the dogs. They do not lick or dig excessively. Any ideas what the issue might be?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Ugh ... freaking fles!!! My first solution is admitted not very practical??? But apparently it does work?? When we lived in San Jose Ca, t was a constant battle with fleas! Both the Cats ad the Dogs , flea collars, flea treatments it was a way of life??

When we moved to the high Desert of NV, I think it was about two months or so before we noticed ... no more Flea problems??? Fleas apparently like/need humidity?? And of there is no thing we have a lot of in the High Desert is uh "No Humidity??" No humidity ... no fleas, no mosquitoes. All the flea and mosquito crap went out for disposal! :)

Now there are Mosquitoes out here. But you have to go to them! They only hag out on the Banks of the Carson River! And you have to go to them! It's about six miles from me at the closest and apparently they can't survivor the trip??? Admitly ... moving is not a very particular solution, so just throwing it out there, being flea free came as a complete surprise to us. :)

But on a more practical level and especially for the beding ... would be the use of "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth!

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/benefits-diatomaceous-earth/

I don't know that I would feed it to them continuously on a long term basis?? BUt for a week or two to get crap under control it should be fine. zBut I would use it liberally on their beds the furniture and the carpet in the house, because that is where the fleas are gonna hang out!

I did not know of DE when we lived in flea country, ie San Jose Ca. So know first hand accounts from me. But ... we do have Spiders and (although I have not seen them) Scorpions!! And DE would work for them also. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooooohhhh ... I did not know they could take it internally! I'm pretty sure I have some around here somewhere! I'll give that a try, thanks! :)

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Ooooohhhh ... I did not know they could take it internally! I'm pretty sure I have some around here somewhere! I'll give that a try, thanks! :)
"FOOD Grade DE" only! They also use DE for pool cleaners!! Do your research. :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Fleas are usually pretty easy to spot on a boxer and your dogs would usually be scratching and biting. My guy had a bout with them once and you could see them crawling around. Vet gave him an oral dose of some med, and that was the end of it.

There is also something called seasonal flank alopecia which affects boxers more than most dogs.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts

There is also something called "seasonal flank alopecia" which affects boxers more than most dogs.
Ugh, people that don't live in NV ... need to know to many fancy names. :clown:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
You will know if your dogs have fleas, turn them over on their back the bellies will probably have flea dirt on them, the will look dirty black spots, and if the have many you will see them crawling. I hate fleas. I have all my dogs on nexgard, pricey but well worth the $. Fleas can get into everything in your house. It could be anything causing the hair loss but since both dogs have it I suspect fleas too or even sarcastic mange.
Since I can't really visualize the hair loss one can't really be sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fleas are usually pretty easy to spot on a boxer and your dogs would usually be scratching and biting. My guy had a bout with them once and you could see them crawling around. Vet gave him an oral dose of some med, and that was the end of it.

There is also something called seasonal flank alopecia which affects boxers more than most dogs.
Hmmm... I'll have to look into that. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will know if your dogs have fleas, turn them over on their back the bellies will probably have flea dirt on them, the will look dirty black spots, and if the have many you will see them crawling. I hate fleas. I have all my dogs on nexgard, pricey but well worth the $. Fleas can get into everything in your house. It could be anything causing the hair loss but since both dogs have it I suspect fleas too or even sarcastic mange.
Since I can't really visualize the hair loss one can't really be sure.
I hate them, too. Nasty things. There's no crustiness or anything, so I don't think it's mange. It looks nothing like the pictures I saw on the internet, at any rate.

I rubbed coconut oil on Jasper's biggest spot and the hair seems to be growing back, so I did it on Selena's, too. Now that I have the hose hooked up and it's warm, I think I'll just bathe them outside. Probably tomorrow, and do some other flea-killing things. I'll know soon enough if it was fleas, I guess!

Thanks for the tip about nexgard. If I can't get rid of them on my own, that will be the next step. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
We live in the southeastern US, so we have all the humidity Chip18 doesn't get..LOL

We have used Frontline and Hartz topical treatments..we haven't seen a difference in them other than the price. Our puppy still gets his with his heargard/ trifexis chews. We will be changing this soon as these seem to make them feel like crap...even with a full stomach.

Glad to hear the coconut oil is helping!

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
We live in the southeastern US, so we have all the humidity Chip18 doesn't get..LOL

We have used Frontline and Hartz topical treatments..we haven't seen a difference in them other than the price. Our puppy still gets his with his heargard/ trifexis chews. We will be changing this soon as these seem to make them feel like crap...even with a full stomach.

Glad to hear the coconut oil is helping!
Uh ohhh ... it was a long time when I was into this stuff ... but I'm pretty sure, ]TRIFEXIS" has a lot of "bad news associated with it???

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Oh on the GermanShepardforum, I heard lots of strange and alien terms?? Such as "Forest" which I assume means an overabundance of "Trees???" And an odd an alien creature that can be found elsewhere, called a "Porcupine??"

They can be really bad news for dogs as I understand??? And in the deep South they have creatures called Alligators??? As well as an overbordance of "Water??" I suppose??? I've never seen such a creature myself??? And we have to drive to find the nearest river.

But we do have Rattlesnakes!! I have never ran across one with my dogs but they are here! But you'd have to move to Alaska or Hawaii if you don't want those guys/ (Rattlesnakes,) anywhere near your dogs, so NV is not prefect. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Uh ohhh ... it was a long time when I was into this stuff ... but I'm pretty sure, ]TRIFEXIS" has a lot of "bad news associated with it???
It's not our first choice. Both our old and new vets recommended it when our boys were puppies. Bandit has been OK with it until the last couple of months.
We are going to ask for something else for Bandit at our next appointment in a couple of weeks. Aside from how we think it makes them feel, I can smell the chemicals in it...and lord knows if I can smell it, Bandit can. It was a massive challenge to get his last one in him...even with it covered in peanut butter, broken up....and adding bread around it.

I'm sure you've experienced them eating around a pill or something, eating the 'good part' and spitting out the meds. They are too smart for their own good at times.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I'm sure you've experienced them eating around a pill or something, eating the 'good part' and spitting out the meds. They are too smart for their own good at times.
LOL, yes indeed! I had a pill issue with Struddell, my Boxer! She was a master at chucking pills!!

Peanut butter she would just suck off, hot dogs and those pill pocket things?? I'd watch her go chew,chew stop and then push the pill out the side of her mouth???

I finally resorted to just grabbing her stubby face and cramming the pills down her throat! She was pretty annoying when it came to taking pills. :chair:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey dear, It seems you too have the flea issue, which I'd been also worried about for my boxer Tommy for past years. But then I got this amazing product named Seresto flea collar.

Seresto collar for dogs is very easy to use flea and tick treatment that provides continuous protection to dogs against fleas for up to 8 months, as they say in the advertisements. But I've experienced the quality of the product for not less than 3 months on Tommy. So without hesitation, you can completely rely on Seresto collar.

I had bought the product for a great discount from online pet supplies. Sharing the link, if you want to go through the prices.

Buy Seresto for dogs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts