Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lot of you know, Beckham was very sick when he was about 4 months old.  He had had kennel cough when we first got him, and teh vet didn't put him on antibiotics long enough.  He then got pneumonia and it was quite serious.  He recovered and is happy and healthy usually.

Since then, we had one very light coughing spell about 3 months ago.  They just gave us another dose of antibiotics, and it cleared up right away.

Well, over the past few days, it's back a little.  He had been sneezing last week, and now when he gets very excited he coughs pretty loudly.  I gave him some water and Frosty Paw, and the coughing ceased.  What gives?

It also seems to happen during changes in weather, and it has recently dropped in temperature a considerable amount.

We are eventually wanting to have his chest/throat x-rayed, to see what is going on, if anything.  Otherwise, we do NOT want to keep putting him on meds.  Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes please... if anyone has any natural remedies/supplements let us know, he's been on so many antibiotics during his 9 months on earth.  I don't want this to be a reoccurring issue for the rest of his life.  
He usually only coughs after running around like a crazy dog or playing with hard plastic toys/bones.  
We used to give him the hard plastic nylabones, but have since switched to the big rubber nylabones.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had the same problem. Fredo had Kennel Cough for the first month and a half we had him. He's been off antibiotics for about 2 weeks now. Every once in a while I notice he still has a cough and a little sneeze.  His mouth is also a little pink. I think it might be allergies. We're going to the vet tonight and I'm going to ask them.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I was curious if he has ever had his heart checked?  Not to totally freak you out though.  There are just SO MANY reasons why they cough.  It can be as simple as reoccuring kennel cough (once they get it they seem more prone to getting it again and again), it can be allergy related, pollen in the air, change of seasons this type of thing.  It can be more of a body issue, such as heart, lung, throat, nasal passage, increase lining in the nose/throat.  It could be a back snort (which is really a reverse sneeze) Where they suck mucas into the throat from the nose and then cough it out (like some people do).

If he only does it when active that is where I wonder if it is not something more then just a cold or allergy. The only way to get to the bottom of it will be to do an X-Ray or Ultrasound.

At home.....well you can use cough syrup.  I have found that Robitussin Children's Stubborn Cough DM Syrup works the best.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
This may or may not help but I was looking up information on BARF diets and eventually wound up on a holistic information website where I read an interesting article on apple cider vinegar as a preventative for several boxer problems.  I am sorry I don't remember the name of the website, but I got there from Newcastle's (Newcastle Boxers) website links on BARF diets.  I tried to find it for you again, but didn't.  However, I see that apple cider vinegar is something that Newcastle uses in her feeding program so hopefully she can tell you about it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
sharonL\";p=\"39129 said:
It could be a back snort (which is really a reverse sneeze) Where they suck mucas into the throat from the nose and then cough it out (like some people do).
That's exactly what he does!!  Sounds like a man clearing his throat of mucus and a vet called it a reverse sneeze as well.  What does that mean and is it serious?  
No he's never had his heart checked, besides the usual listening and when he had pneumonia they took x-rays of his chest (heart included) and throat area.  His airways were a bit thickened, but nothing crazy or really worrisome, the vet didn't say that his heart looked enlarged or anything.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ringer snorts like that when he gets his nose into something he probably shouldn't have.  He has had grass clippings get stuck in his nose, ants and various other things but he doesn't seem to care so much.  A wee bit of snorting later and the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Reverse sneezing is an irritation of the soft palate and throat that causes spasm's.  Sometimes the dog will hold it's neck  extend and the chest will expand. Bacially scare you and make you think they are gagging, coughing or gasping for air.

What causes it....well.....Anything that bothers the throat can cause it. Being excited, exercise, eating, drinking, pulling on a leash to hard, pollen, perfumes, viruses, household chemicals, allergies, and  the most common post-nasal drip.  

Dogs that are considered "Brachycephalic" which Boxers are!!!!  have a short snout and a elongated soft palates occasionally suck the palate into the back of the throat. If the palate is real long sometimes they have to have surgery.  This is pretty common in Pugs.

If/When it stops, the spasm is over. You can massage the throat to make it stop. You can put your hand over your dogs nostrils, which makes them swallow and clear the throat.  Some dogs have this their entire lives; some only when they are older. The spasm is only a temporary problem that goes away on its own...leaving no damage.

The docs would have seen a problem with the heart on that X-ray then.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote="sharonL\";p=\"39150":26iiw1ox]Reverse sneezing is an irritation of the soft palate and throat that causes spasm's.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I must be a bad person because I thought it was hilarious when Rings was doing it.

I was always telling him, "You know you shouldn't have snorted that extra line of coke but you did anyway."

·
Registered
294 Posts
dan.daugherty\";p=\"39159 said:
I must be a bad person because I thought it was hilarious when Rings was doing it.

I was always telling him, "You know you shouldn't have snorted that extra line of coke but you did anyway."
:lol:  :lol:    I wish I would be able to laugh it off instead of instantly worrying that it's something serious (which I guess most times it's not).  I think it's just because our dang boxer babies just have so many flippin health issues and are prone to some serious defects that makes me instantly panic.  Not to mention that this is my first dog and they are just really high maintenance animals, unlike my two cats that go to the vet maybe once every 2-3 years!!!

Oh well~  Keep your sense of humor coming, I know I can always count on you for a good laugh!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Sorry to hear that Beckham is not feeling well.  Damn cough can scare you!  We gave Lola Robitussin Children's Cough Syrup as Sharon said to try.  Good luck!  Feel better soon Beckham!  Hugs & Kisses from Lola!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts