Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been an article published in a dog magazine here in the UK about white boxers, explaining various misconceptions about them, but I am confused as to what the boxer world's view really is on the white boxer.
It states that the boxer breed coucil code of conduct still states that white puppies should still be humanely destroyed at birth. Why the hell can't some resarch be done into the white boxer to prove that they are the same as fawn and brindle boxers and they deserve the chance to enjoy a happy life just the same as any other boxer? It is just a subject that makes my blood boil! I just wish there was something that could be done to promote the white boxer and educate people about them!
Who on this forum owns or has owned white boxers? I am curious to know what all of your views are on the subject!
My white boxer Daisy is the best! She's my best friend and I couldn't imagine life without her! The thought that there are other white boxers out there just like Daisy that are overlooked or even put down simply because they were born white, really upsets me.
Are prospects any better for white boxers in the US?

Heather

·
Registered
220 Posts
From what I can tell euthanizing white puppies is discouraged.  The breeder of my puppy had a two white ones in her litter and she placed them into pet homes.  I hope some of the actual breeders of boxers who are members of this forum can help you.  
~Anne

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Whites are coming back so to say!! And from what Ive heard research has been done!! The only thing thats different besides there color is they have a greater chance of being deaf!! Also culling of white puppies has pretty much diminished over the years! Ive also heard the disscussion about breeders bringing them back into the lines!

White boxers make GREAT pets, agility dogs, ect. They are just not suppose to be bred from!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm not sure of how things are in the UK, but euthanization of white puppies at birth is not encouraged here in the states. White puppies can be placed on limited (non breeding) registration after proof of spay or neuter, just like any other colored pet puppy.

Breeding from white boxers is prohibited by the American Boxer Club, however, it is encouraged that they be placed as well loved pets, agility and obedience dogs (again, on spay and neuter contracts).

They're not rare, in fact, roughly 25% of all boxers are born white. The only difference between white puppies and their colored litter mates is that whites are prone to deafness and sunburn (although sunburn is just a maintenance issue and one that you'll run into with any white dog).

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Thankfully, like Jess said, the Akc does not encourage putting down white boxers. I've read over and over what AKC says about whites and bottom line, they are not to be bred & highly recomend spay or neuter. But it goes on to say that white boxers make tremendous pets & are still able to do agility, and various other things.

It's rather sad that there seems to be this stigma attached to the whites that there is something wrong with them..It's just a color, come on, let's not get racial over our dogs now! Yes, they are prone to deafness, but a lot of whites are fine, so you condem all cos of a few?

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now...Lol....

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I am hoping to rescue a white boxer when the time comes.  I made a mistake of getting Jessie from a back yard breeder, who bred a white boxer.  I should have done some investigating first.  Not that i regret Jessie, because she is terrific... But there are some things that you are better off knowing.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The UK Breed Council Code of Conduct of 1995 did note that white puppies should be humanely euthanized - it also discussed those white puppies that were not euthanized, though, so that was not a mandate.  The Scottish Boxer Club, however, has a Code of Conduct currently on their website which, if I'm reading and understanding the relationship correctly, is the same one as used by the other Boxer Clubs in the UK.  That Code eliminates the euthanization of white puppies, and simply states that they should be sold without registration or pedigree.  So it seems that the UK breeders are progressing much as US breeders have, past the euthanization to placement without registration; placement with breeding-restricted registration would be the next step in that progression, as we've seen here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Several years ago we owned a white boxer (Bud/Buddy) that we got from a boxer rescue who was deaf.  My husband taught him some signs.  He was such a sweet dog.  However, he did learn that if he didn't look at you then he didn't have to mind because he couldn't see the signs.  :D   You would catch him just barely peeking out of the corner of his eye at you.  Smart dog.   :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
most breeders over here in the uk that ive seen or heard about just tend to charge less for white boxers...personally i think it is sick that some people in the world say to put them to sleep as soon as they are born!! the way i look at it society tries to change things too much..like having a dog nuetered or spade just for the looks or convience...only if there were some huge medical reason for it being done would it twist my arm!!! its just wrong on so many levels isnt it!!  michelle x x x x x x x

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This subject is one so very close to my heart because Daisy means so much to us! People think that she is a lovely dog, but they often assume that she is deaf or somewhat inferior to a fawn or brindle boxer! I wish there was some way of educating to people the real facts about white boxers. It's good that more breeders now sell their white puppies to be family pets, but we just need to rid white boxers of their reputation for being deaf or more sickly.
Another thing is that if 25% of puppies born in a litter are white, then why on earth aren't a quarter of the boxers we see out and about white? We have seen a few white boxers about in the time we have had Daisy, but I don't think there are as many about as there really should be.
Sorry, I do tend to go off on one on this subject! What can we do to promote the white boxer?

Heather

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a white boxer until late last year when she passed.  She was 9.  The vet said that she had died from a heart attack.  She did not have any of the health concerns that they are said to have.  I recently became the owner of my second white boxer and I hope he is as good as she was. [/url]

·
Registered
29 Posts
We should breed all white boxers and form a new club like the AWBC!!! :D And set our own standards. :wink: That will show the world how they are no different than there fawn and brindle brothers and sisters..

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Matt-n-Ghost\";p=\"2281 said:
We should breed all white boxers and form a new club like the AWBC!!! :D And set our own standards. :wink: That will show the world how they are no different than there fawn and brindle brothers and sisters..
:lol: sounds like a plan! LOL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife and I have a white boxre named Trace.  Hes about 4 months old now  and despite the fact that hes deaf, hes a wonderful pet and companion to our whole family. I trained him using hand signs and hes doing great. I also have had the expierence of talking to other white boxer owners and they wouldnt have it any other way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have boxers ,im from northern ireland and we would have white babies,the majority of them are not deaf and not a lot of white ones are deaf :D our first white bitch wasnt ceaf and she was a lovely pet,gemma,then we wnted to try and breed her and mated her with a brindle and white dog.and only had 3 white pups in her litter,on her second litter she went to a redbrindle dog our own at this stage and she had no white puppies ,white is just a colour as is red and brindle,alot of breeders dont want to admit thier is white in there lines but wev found the better the pedigree the more chance of white you will get,white are beautifull some of the best looking boxers are white .i would like to ask how would you live with yourself if you put to sleep white babies.our bitch dopted a litter of white babies as their mom died and the owner wanted to put them all to sleep to save him the hassle of hand rearing,the pupswere the nicest pups we ever saw/WHITE AND ALL AS THEY ARE,i have no problem if a person wants to breed there white and after all y shouldnt they,if they can find good homes for ther babies and put the work in to rearing them y not?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It's good that more breeders now sell their white puppies to be family pets, but we just need to rid white boxers of their reputation for being deaf or more sickly.
Well, they are deaf, far more often than colored Boxers are.  (That's not to say all or even most white Boxers are deaf - about 18% are - but compared to the estimated 1% of colored Boxers that are deaf, it's a significant increase.)

Another thing is that if 25% of puppies born in a litter are white, then why on earth aren't a quarter of the boxers we see out and about white?
25% of the puppies born from flashy x flashy breedings are white (over large numbers of litters); not all breedings are flashy x flashy.  It's probably closer to 20% overall, but there are regional differences and just odd phenomena; there are some people who go years without knowing that Boxers come with stripes, because they've only ever seen fawn ones. ;)

What can we do to promote the white boxer?
Title them in obedience, agility, rally, tracking, as therapy dogs, CGCs, etc.  Health test them just like you would a breeding prospect.  Do BAER testing for definitive hearing status.  Join your local Boxer club and brag about your dog's accomplishments.  The more white Boxers that are out there doing what colored Boxers do and living just as long as colored Boxers live, the better the odds of convincing others that they are equal to colored Boxers.  (As for forming your own club and breeding your dogs - it has been done, however this has generally only strengthened the resolve of those opposed to the inclusion of white Boxers as show/breeding prospects.  You really need to work from within on this one.)

white is just a colour as is red and brindle
Technically, white is a marking pattern; all white Boxers are also fawn (red) or brindle.  

i have no problem if a person wants to breed there white and after all y shouldnt they
Aside from the ethical prohibition of every Boxer Parent Club in the world ;) it is the opinion of the leading expert on canine deafness that adding whites to the gene pool will increase the incidence of deafness in the breed as a whole.  (There are also strong disagreement with this opinion, however it does illustrate the need to do some fact-finding before proceeding.)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jennifer, you are right, we need to get out there showing the world exactly what our white boxers can do, training them to compete in agility and obedience! I've always wanted to get into agility with Daisy, but to be honest I don't know where to start!
Are boxer clubs suportive of white boxers then? I always imagined that they wouldn't be.

Heather

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
In the US and Canada, Boxer clubs are supportive of white Boxers so long as they aren't being bred. :)  (Now, that said, there may be some individual members who aren't supportive of whites at all, but they are getting fewer and farther between - and they're not likely to raise a major stink in front of the whole club!)  I'm really not sure about clubs in other countries like the UK, though I know there are individuals who are supportive of whites.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts