Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So those of you that know Guido (have read about him) know that he is a grouch. Well I finally made an appointment with a vet in the area to talk about getting him neutered. I took Macy with me so she could go for a ride too. Of course he barked when he got there. The ladies at our old vet were great with him. They had treats ready and always calmed him down. Not with this vet. They told me to take him right into the room. He was fine until the tech came in and he started barking. I told her that he is going to bark for a few minutes so he needed some time to calm down. She was obviously nervous, as most people are when they meet Guido.

I was really surprised they didn't have any treats. That always makes him stop barking. She started to ask questions and he wouldn't stop barking. Another tech opened the door and said, I'm going to take him. She can't talk to you when he's like this. She said it kind of rude and I was thinking, you guys have never run into a barking dog before? She asked if he was aggressive, uh yeah he is. Then she asked if he might bite, and I said, he has before.

So then I had to put a muzzle on him, which didn't shock me. But then they took him out of the room and outside for the rest of the appointment. THe doctor said she looked him over and he looks good. I didn't see the exam, so I don't know if she did it or not. I guess he peed and threw up. He has never done that at the vet before. We paid for the "exam" and they met us outside with Guido. My legs were shaking the whole time because I was so unhappy about the visit and how they worked with him.

Not even a minute down the road he threw up all over my back seat. I am so glad I have leather. We got home and he fell asleep right away and then woke up and threw up again. I'm not taking him back there. The techs were too nervous to deal with him and I can't go somewhere that can't handle it. We are working on his problems, but I don't like it when people treat him like a bad dog because he isn't. We are going to try one more vet that is a male this time and he's used to dealing with larger dogs. If that doesn't work, I am making the 3.5 hour drive back home to take him to our old vet that was great with him.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh Kristen, that is awful! And poor Guido. All this experience did was reinforce all his fears, poor baby. No, he isn't a bad dog, and sadly it is hard to make people understand with rescues it sometimes takes awhile to get those old issues resolved. But I would have thought a vet's office would understand that. I would definitely keep searching for another vet and what you might want to do, if possible is go there, prior to taking Guido and just talk to the vet and his staff, kinda feel them out how they would deal with issues, then make your decision before putting Guido thru that again...Hugs to you both , I know this had to have been as bad for you as him....

·
Registered
152 Posts
That sucks, sorry to hear your vet was an idiot.  I don't think I would have paid to be honest.  My little guy was pretty nervous when I first took him to the vet...they were pretty calm even though he was acting up and "flinchy" with them.  I just held him close and kept being positive with him.

I used to work for a place where I'd run into all kinds of different people...there, I met a vet that goes to people's houses (he normally does horses, but he said he works with dogs too) and does most everything at their home.

I'm sure it's an extra charge, but it might be worth it in your case to look into whether or not there is one around ... save your dog some aggravation, and know that he's getting the care he deserves in his own comfortable environment.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
That's just plain wrong.  I don't blame you for not going back there and I think I'd go back alone and tell them exactly what you thought of them.  Next time I'd make an appointment, tell them exactly what to expect, bring along his favorite treats so you can give them to him, and make sure up front that unless you are in the exam room, forget it.  This is outrageous behavior on their part.  I realize a vet doesn't want to be bitten, but fear in vet and staff like that is just plain stupid.  Guido can't be the only challenging dog they have unless they restrict their practice to Paris Hilton's dogs.  Obviously they shook him up much worse that he did them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience.  I would have been ticked off if they had taken my dog to another room for the exam, you have no way of knowing what was examined or if they did something inappropiate.  Find another vet.  I suppose there is a no barking ordinace in that vets office !!  Hope my vet doesn't discover this new rule :)

Guido is gorgeous and will become the perfect gentlemen in time.  Keep up the good job on his training.

·
Registered
905 Posts
That's terrible treatment from people who are supposed to be professionals.  Poor Guido.  We drive 2 hours each way to the vet that my mum has always used because the local practice is so bad.  I think it's completely worth the journey.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I am so sorry you and Guido had to go thru this..That's just down right ignorant on their part. Poor Guido must of realized what rude idiots they were also to make him so sick.   Hugs to you and kisses to Guido!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Poor Guido.  Makes me sad just thinking about how he must have been feeling.  I ended up switching vets with Lola because the first one I took her to stunk!  Why be in that profession if you can't handle all different dogs and situations.  Keep looking, you'll find a good vet!  Hugs to you and Guido!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well I could probably make a post 3 pages long on this one.
First, I agree that I would not go back there.  Secondly if you want to invest a little time.  I would find out if the vet you saw was the "owner" of the practice and if they were not, I would sit down and write a short letter to the owner explaining your displeasure with how the whole situation went.  This sometimes can make you feel a little better to vent your frustration but also make another informed that things are not going great there.  If this person was the owner, then never mind.

I dont agree with Tech's being rude.  I dont agree with dogs being taken away from the owners site to be treated/checked. I have seen it done and generally it is because they are handled with more authority then the owners want to see. (NOT SAYING THAT HAPPENED)

You mentioned him vomiting and having loose stool.  I have seen this happen with a dog that is very scared.  Calming him should have been the first priority. If you feel his demeaner was different on leaving the place inquire if they gave any type of sedative without your knowledge...(NOT SAYING THAT HAPPENED EITHER)

The way I view it EVERYDAY is that ALL DOGS BITE!!!!  From grumpy granny who says her 12 week old shih tzu is an angel to the bouncy grey faced 12 year old lab. If under fear a dog will bite.  Lord I lost count of the times I have got bitten.  I can say only REALLY bad twice though.  Of the literally hundereds of people we see each week, I will honestly say there are maybe two dogs that I feel fear with them, but they dont know it  :D And they are bad to the bone, the owners are also scared of them, which makes for a hard time.

Anyway..........Like I said I could go on forever but I wont!  I agree with Willow go talk to the other place in person or on the phone before you take him and prepare them or at least feel them out....But, dont go back to the other.... :roll:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeap, know what you mean on bad vet experience.  We first went to this one vet down the rd from us and he wasnt a pleasant person to be around, not happy, and its like you couldnt do anything right.  He had that Dr. Mentality.  
So now we go to a totally different vet.  Which I must say is Awesome!!  The nurse that always takes care of Tug has two boxers of her own.  So that makes things so much better!! And the Dr. is the greatest.  He loves Tug!!  And Tug is never nervous when we go to the vet.  
And I think you & your animal should be together when having an exam.  That way the Dr. can talk to you as he goes along.  Tug never leaves our sight, until its time to weigh him.  
So poor Guido, he deserves a treat!! And maybe a new toy for that experience!! or at least thats what tug would say!!  
The right Vet is out there just keep a lookin!! :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sorry for your bad experience.  Some vets just don't get it and I think some are only in it for the money...like some doctors.  We have always had great vets and most of the time we drove alot longer to get to their office because it was worth it.  The only time we had a bad experience was with a vet at the vet we go to, she was NOT an animal person and we didn't feel she knew what she was doing so we refused to see her.  They made a note in our file and we were never scheduled with her, not too long after that she wasn't there any more so more people must have felt that way too.  The rest of the staff there are amazing and very friendly with all animals.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yikes!...that sounds like a nightmare. 8O
I have never allowed ANYONE to take my dogs away from me during a regular vet visit and they've tried.  So sorry you had this awful experience.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I agree with what's been said already, and please write that letter, or better yet, go back there alone and voice your frustration with how that whole visit was handled. That was just totally unacceptable.
I also agree with finding a new vet and discussing before hand how Guido has been at the vets office prior, so that they can be ready for him.
Also, please never let tech's take your pet out of the room to do their exams or anything else. If they must take them to a different room, insist that you are going also. I know that would have been hard this time because you had Macy along with you. When I had to bring Buster for a sonogram and ekg, the tech started walking away with him and told me to have a seat. I said, excuse me? She said it again, I said I go with him or I find another vets office that will allow me to be with him during the visit. I went with him. The receptionist also told me that if the owner insists on going with their pet, they will not tell you no, they just do that because some owners do not like the position that the dogs must be in for that particular type of test.
I also agree with Sharon that vets must view all dogs as biters. The muzzle would not have been an issue with me, but under no circumstance should he have been taken out of that room. I think they should have taken their time with him to calm him down first, and then proceeded with the exam. Sounds very unprofessional to me.
I'll step off my soapbox now...Sorry you and Guido had such a bad experience.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
:evil: I hate bad vets!!!!! :evil:
I wish there was some sort of place you could go to complain about them on a professional level.  Like malpractice or something!
Grrrrr........ that just boils my potatoes! :evil:

·
Registered
39 Posts
you are in Troy, MI?

I live in Ferndale and LOVE my vet.  We take our Betty Bacon to "Little Friends of Ferndale" on 9 mile.  Pretty close to Troy (less than your 3 hour trip to your previous vet, anyway!) and they are absoultely wonderful.  When we first got Betty we were taking her to Hatrick on woodward near Berkely and really were unimpressed with their service.  Our friend reccommended Little Friends and we are SO GLAD we made the switch.  I just reccommended the vet to another friend of mine who has a pit-mix, a boston terrier & a cat.  She just took all 3 in together and the entire staff was super helpful & she said her experience was great too.

They really love animals there, and they know what they are doing.  I highly, HIGHLY reccommend it.

here are a series of 5-star reviews, and contact info:

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=31410024

They are paitent & understanding most of all - we were calling every day when betty got fixed (overprotective/new parent syndrome) and they were so nice!  check them out!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="Zhanna\";p=\"27166":3uae60pn]:evil: I hate bad vets!!!!! :evil:
I wish there was some sort of place you could go to complain about them on a professional level.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I am saddened for your experience.  When we first got Tyson, we took him to a very well known vet in the area.  We took him there because he was throwing up and had the runs really bad.  Well the vet suggested to keep him for the night to monitor him.  I was not about it, but I thought it might be in Tyson's best interest.  So I left. I cried all the way home, because this was only second night I had him.  I went to pick him up the next morning, and the vet said "we don't know anything".  They couldn't give me any answers for why he was sick and I was shocked.  All I know is that I got a fat bill.  (I did get reimbursed, but that's another story).  After that I decided to never go back there.  I can't take Tyson somewhere where thay can't give me answers.  I found another vet (actually down the street) that my mom uses.  I took Tyson there yesterday for his second round of shots.  It was a great experience.  I am a newbie boxer owner, and he was able to answer all my questions.  I was completely reassured that I made the best decision for Tyson.  My vet now has a lifetime patient.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks eveyone. Guido is great today. He was grouchy for the rest of the night, but he's better now. We are going to try another vet in the area. I do plan on telling them about his issues so they will be well aware that he's going to bark a lot when we arrive.

My boyfriend was going to call the vet today to tell them how unhappy we were with the service, but we decided to just move on and not go there again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm sorry for the rude treatment you guys had.  I absolutely would NOT go back again, geez they're pros, they're supposed to know how to care for the animals and calm them down, that is their job.  I imagine he was scared to death that you weren't in there with him, with all those strange people.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I know that's why he got so worked up. He would have been fine if he would have stayed in the room with me. If I could do it over I wouldn't have let them take him out.

Of course, if I could do it over I wouldn't take him there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts