Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my girlfriend (Kat) and I (Ken) are new to the forum and we both like to know what to expect from our pup who will be arriving on the 19th of this month. She'll be 8 weeks and we're both looking forward to having her be a part of our family very soon. If anyone could share a bit of info, it would be sweet. It's about time that I feel we're ready to have some fun and embarassing moments later on. So if anyone could share with us anything it would be nice, thankyou.

-KK

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to all of you..Let's see where to start..Research, research research....Lol..I have tons of books on boxers and they have been invaluable to me..Forums like here are also the best...Stock up on Nature's Miracle for accidents, it totally rids the odors from carpet..Keep some valium on hand for yourself..Just joking..And stockpile your patience, you will need it....We have a lot of newbies on here with pups so you might find it very helpful to read thru their posts...But by all means feel free to ask away any time.....

Your Dajah is gorgous, I know you can't wait to bring her home.....And welcome again  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
oh look at her!! she is so cute!! congrats on the new pup. Expect a lot!! there are several thread here on puppies. We have a lot of new puppies here on the forum lately. Please be sure to read them, there is tons of wonderful advice in them. The best thing to remember is be consistant with any command that is given, whether it be going potty outside or sit,stay, lay-consistancy and patience is the key thing. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i think an important thing to remember is to be patient... boxers are silly silly animals, and it can get frustrating.... but stick around here and you will find excellent information!

and she is adorable!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome....your baby is gorgeous!!!!! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Always remember "they get better with age" - I think a couple of times DH was ready to send us both packing (and Chloe has yet to destroy anything valuable) -

Here are a couple of other good hints:
1.  Buy a crate - that is the best way to potty train.  Look up "crate training" in the Internet.

2.  Buy a Kong - really helps them have something to do in the crate

3.  NEVER leave them alone unless you want puddles to clean-up or your stuff ruined.  (This is what the crate is for too).  My 10 1/2 month old is only allowed out of sight now for about 5 minutes at a time.

4.  Find a good organic pet food store and get some good food (puppy chows almost always have too much protien - around 26% is good) - pick a food with no corm or wheat with no animal by-products.

5.  Get the dog signed up for puppy classes around 12 weeks or so.

My personal feelings are to not let the dog sleep with you and also - any biting under the age of 7 months or so if definately PLAYING - no aggression that young!

·
Registered
220 Posts
My advice is that you do not let your puppy do ANYTHING now that you do not want her to continue as she gets older.  It is easier to stop a habit from starting than to train one out of her.  Also, puppies thrive on praise.

As you are potty training her, do not rub her nose in the pee and poop or yell at her when you catch her having an accident.  This will make her think you don't like to see her "go" and will complicate things when you do want her to go outside.  Instead, when she is using your house to pee in, pick her up, carry her outside to the same spot everytime, put her down and praise her so much that she pees again.  Timed feedings also help with potty training.

Wait to take her around other dogs until she is fully vacinated.  You do not want to have her catch something like parvo because it is costly to keep her alive after such an illness, but can also change her brain function.

Be prepared to fall in love with your puppy on a daily basis.  There is almost nothing better than a kidney bean-nub wagging welcome when I get home!  My dog is a perpetual clown and even though he does require at least one run and one dog park excursion per day, I would not trade him for anything!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts