Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello was looking to see if anybody has ever had a boxer who has been stung by a bee? I have seen this before on a dog I have had in the past , she got a lump on her head and upon going to the vet baby dose of benadryl was recommended. it worked and went away . came home today and my boxers lips are swollen and I can almost bet with seeing him try to sniff bees in the past one must have got him? with the sun being out this week in ca and mid 70's the bugs have come out . there are no chemicals laying around in my yard and have not fed them anything special, and they are exposed to the same pollen that we have in the neighborhood every year . I'm almost positive it had to be from a insect bite. his moral is good just wondering if it could be from pollen etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Well the good news ... is he still there! Some Boxers are "deadly allergic" to be bee stings and unless you happen to be right there with an Ep Pen in hand ... they have no chance!! I know of that happening once, to another Bella, as it happens and that dog was a Vet Tech at that office.

She was out in the yard and when the tech went to check on her she was already down, something stung her and ... she did not make it. :(

But yeah your dog is fine and benadryl, will work. Our Struddell got stung by something, many years ago. And at first she looked fine?? I saw her when we came home from work and her face looked off?? But I was not sure?? Then twenty minuents
later I looked at her and her faced looked like the Michelin Man?? He gave us

OK ...no doubt now! And off to the vet we went! Vet had no idea what had happened but he said most likely ant bite or bee sting?? He gave her a shot and said keep an eye on her. And she was fine, and her face beong about twice it's normal size did not seem to be bother her at all?? So clearly she was not allergic to bees or ants, but you never know??

But if your dog was up and moving Benadryl, is fine ...if they are gonna have an "allergic,reaction" that takes seconds or minutes, not hours. And he kinda funny looking but he'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
My shih tau was allergic to bees. She got stung in the foot and I noticed it as she yelped and held her foot up. When we came in she lied down (not unusual) but then she started to act strange and couldn't get up. I'll never forge it, it was a Saturday night, 5 pmthe vets were closing but PetSmart is right across the street and they had a vet. I called, explained and they waited. They had to give her shots and a IV and she had to spend the night. He said any longer she would have died as she was in anaphalatic shock.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Definitely possible. Not sure if you guys have biting ants out there. Could be another possibility.

Good that he seems to be doing ok other than the swollen lips, some dogs can be pretty allergic to insect bites.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from what I was able to see in the cameras about 9am he's on the deck and licks his foot for about a hour so I'm guessing he stepped on one. my wife called saying he had hives and looked like a allergic reaction gave hi me some benadryl and when I got home hives were gone and lips were swollen. I've read the first 30 mins he would have been gone if it was a severe reaction . we kept him inside to keep a close eye on him while he got better than released him back to the wild (my back yard). he is 100% now . now it's time for another fight wandering cats delivering fleas to the front yard that's typical spring, thanks for the replies!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Definitely possible. Not sure if you guys have biting ants out there. Could be another possibility.

Good that he seems to be doing ok other than the swollen lips, some dogs can be pretty allergic to insect bites.
Yeah I think it was ant's, that got to Struddell but aside from swelling there was no reaction?? Her face just big and puffy but aside from that, she did not seem to notice anything being wrong???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts