Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm new here so sorry if i'm posting in the wrong place. I've been thinking about buying a boxer for a few weeks now i just have a couple questions that hopefully some of you owners can help me out with.

1st of all, a bit about me... Im 19, male, live alone in mid terraced house. i work 5 days a week usually leave the house at 7am and get back at 5.30pm.

My house is mortgaged + i've spent quite alot of money decorating and buying furnature e.t.c. my biggest concern now is well ... Will a boxer dog destory my house when i'm at work? (so my dad says) i know boxer dogs can go absolutely crazy which is what i love about them but i dont want my house trashed! also is 11 - 12 hours too long to leave a boxer alone? i plan to walk him 20 mins before work and well i'd have most of the night to spend with him after work too, is that enough or do i need at least 3 30 min walks a day i read somewhere?

is their anything crucial that i need to know about boxers before i buy one? i'd like to hear off people who was in the same position as me split 50/50 weather or not to buy one but who did and how it turned out? is there anyone out there who has bought a boxer and regretted it?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hello,

No regrets here! Although my husband works from home so our puppy is only alone for 3.5 - 4 hours maximum right now. I think leaving a puppy alone for more than 4 hours is unfair because they can't hold their bladder that long and they need love and attention. When a dog is an adult you can leave them 8 hours but shouldn't be left alone longer than that. You would have to have someone let them out or send them to Doggy daycare. Boxers love people and prefer to be with people.

If you crate your dog and keep an eye on them when you are home and they are free then your house won't get destroyed. But a bored dog that isn't crated can harm your house and themselves.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Get a rescue (adult dog)...by-pass the puppie part,do some good!

You can get a 1-2-3 yrs old house trained rescue about everywhere.

You wont be able to by-pass the new home anxiety|new dad is away but you may be lucky as I did with Valant and get the perfect dog from day 1.

·
Registered
236 Posts
In my opinion, a boxer pup just does fit well with your setup (for now). Boxers are a high energy dog. If they don't have a way to release that energy, they will become destructive (your house will get trashed) and 20min in the morning before you leave for 10 hours just won't do it. Crating for 10 hrs. a day isn't very healthy for the pup either.

If you still want to look for a boxer check out some boxer rescue. Look for an older (3-5 yrs) dog that has a moderate energy level (still going to need alot of exercise).

If it was me I would look at some other breeds but that's only my opinion.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. Having a boxer/s is great but if your not prepared for the amount of time it takes, they can create some problem.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Are you thinking of getting a puppy or adopting an adult? I got my puppy when he was 6 weeks old. He is now 15 weeks and here is my story:

I was home with him for the first 10 days after I got him (coincided with the Christmas/NYE holidays). Since then I work 8-5 every day. I take him for a short walk (10-15 mins) every morning and then let him out again right before I leave for work (7:40). He is crated while I'm at work and I go home at lunch every day to let him out/feed him lunch (puppies need at least three meals a day until ~6 mos)/play with him. I get home at 5:15 and let him out/feed him dinner and play with him until one of both of us is worn out. From what I hear it will be at least a few more months before I don't have to go home at lunch every day. Starting next week (after his 3rd round of shots) I am going to start taking him to doggy daycare 2-3 times a week so that I can get my lunch breaks back and so that he isn't crated 5 days a week.

I love my little guy more than anything but he is a LOT of work. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just sharing my experience. I guess when I got him I had it in my mind that he would be the perfect adult dog just like the boxers my friends have. I didn't think about the fact that they can only hold their bladder for a couple hours when they are 2 months old and you have to work your way up from there. I'm assuming you will be crating your dog when you aren't at home so you don't have to worry about him destroying your furniture (but you will have to worry about rugs/carpet until he is potty trained).

Good luck with your decision! If you do get one just know that you are going to fall instantly in love with them and they with you. Their sweet faces make it all worth while!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a similar situation as you do. I work around 9 hours a day and have limited availability to come during the day to come home to let the dog out. I decided to adopt an adult dog from a rescue in order to skip the house training and puppy chewing stages. I feel I made the right desicion and ended up with a great dog. Adopting is a great option and gives a deserving dog a second chance.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Rocky has so much energy he NEEDS and HAS to let out lol. He is a busy 15 week old pup. I am a 28 year old fulltime student so I am home most of the time. He hardly ever gets crated except when I go somewhere for a couple hours or I am at school. I only go to school 4 times a week for a few hours a day and then take my other two classes online. He has learned to be good when I am gone but he has so much energy when I get home lol. I think leaving him alone for more than 4 hours would be way to much for him to handle. Thier little bladders can not hold it very long and you certainly wouldn't want a pup trying to hold it and end up with an infection and/or learning to pee in his crate. Also when I first got Rocky he would wear me out to where I was falling asleep sitting up lol.. he had never ending energy and I had to constantly keep my eye on him because he would mouth everything, drag shoes, rugs and anything else he could get across the house and try to chew on it. He now knows better but if you are looking at getting a puppy you will need to train them not to do these things and it takes a lot of work... A LOT of work lol.

I too think you would be better off getting an older dog with your current situation. Good luck on whatever your decision may be.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I tend to agree with everyone, that maybe your best bet is a rescue. I have a female that I got as a pup and I have a male that was one when I rescued him. I do have to say that he is still young enough that he's energetic, but I didn't miss the puppy stage a bit! If you do a little searching, you'll find a common theme among puppy owners -- they're worn out!! Not just the crating/bladder/training issues, but the nonstop biting/nipping that gets real old real quick! Most rescues are houstrained, know basic commands. So don't think a rescue is a reject -- it's not their fault their previous owners weren't good enough for them! Good luck with whatever you choose.

P.S. I don't think you'll find a single person "here" who will say they regretting owning a Boxer. LOL!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Add me to the chorus: a puppy would NOT be a good idea at this point. Not at all. They need far more attention than you can give them. You will not be able to provide the socialization and training that they require early in life. This will have a negative impact on their overall personality.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
First of all, good for you for explaining your situation and asking if it is good or not to leave the dog alone so long, before explaining and asking after you have chosen to get one. I respect you very much for doing so!

Is it ok to leave a dog alone for 10-11 hours no, is it ok to leave a boxer alone for 10-11 hours, definitely not. Will a boxer trash your house if not crated and left alone for 10-11 hours, most likely. I think it is a bad compromise for the dog to be crated for so long so save the house. People here will give you different opinions and advice, based on what they do and what they think.

If I were in your situation, knowing that the dog will be alone for such a long time, and also crated, I would not want to have a dog because I just do not see the sense in it, nor do I think it is right for the animal.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
134 Posts
On a aide note, our dog loves the crate. After a full night's sleep (9pm to 7am) we open the crate and he lays in there for another two hours before the boys go to school (and his morning walk). Maybe we just lucked out?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dude, first of all let me say that I am impressed that you have your own home at 19 !!! I didn't settle down until about three years ago. At 19 I was partying it up and it didn't stop until I was in my 30's:partyman:. That being said, I had wanted a boxer ever since I was your age. I did enough research about the breed to know that this dog did not fit in with my lifestyle. It took me 15 years to settle down to the point that I finally decided to get a boxer. I suggest you get a small dog that can handle being indoors. I got knuckles when he was 9 weeks old and he has benn a great boxer dog, in everyway typical of the breed. I included a few pictures of what used to be my favorite chair. I paid $500 for it years ago, and Knuckles took to it from the beginning. He loves it so much that it is now in his room and he does not even let the little dog get on it :lol2:. I hope you make the right decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Dude, first of all let me say that I am impressed that you have your own home at 19 !!! I didn't settle down until about three years ago. At 19 I was partying it up and it didn't stop until I was in my 30's:partyman:. That being said, I had wanted a boxer ever since I was your age. I did enough research about the breed to know that this dog did not fit in with my lifestyle. It took me 15 years to settle down to the point that I finally decided to get a boxer. I suggest you get a small dog that can handle being indoors. I got knuckles when he was 9 weeks old and he has benn a great boxer dog, in everyway typical of the breed. I included a few pictures of what used to be my favorite chair. I paid $500 for it years ago, and Knuckles took to it from the beginning. He loves it so much that it is now in his room and he does not even let the little dog get on it :lol2:. I hope you make the right decision.
I am soooo sorry, but I am :ROTFLMAO:. I think we can start a new thread with the pics of destruction, right??? My two have their own couch now in the basement because it must taste like beef or something to Duke. Poor Hannah, though, all she wants is somewhere to lay her head. I have a room for them, and I actually found a really decent chair on Craigslist with ottoman, so it's like a chaise for $25 just in case they did destroy it I could care less. Thanks for the good laugh, honestly. I've been home dying of bronchitis all week. I think it actually helped clear some of my congestion! :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys i am willing to buy boxer puppy but, i need some more information before i buy it. So i have one option to buy and second the first puppy’ dad is white boxer which many people says that it isnt real boxers bread also the son of that boxer is not white it is normal color and looks very good i need your help to know if puppys dad is white is normal to buy i want to buy real boxer not fake one you know so please help ASAP

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Hi guys i am willing to buy boxer puppy but, i need some more information before i buy it. So i have one option to buy and second the first puppy’ dad is white boxer which many people says that it isnt real boxers bread also the son of that boxer is not white it is normal color and looks very good i need your help to know if puppys dad is white is normal to buy i want to buy real boxer not fake one you know so please help ASAP
LOL ...well you just (unintentionally) insulted a whole bunch of us by stating that our Dog's are not "Real Boxers."

But I understand your confusion and I can explain satisfactorily, I do believe?? And the not real "Boxer's" myth comes no doubt from the fact that they can't be shown in AKC Conformation show's, that tick's me off! But there is "something else," going in the background there. Which I will explain later. :)

So if you can't show them?? They must not be "Real??" Yeah ... "No," the "White's," exist because of the Flashy's ( the usually "WHITE," blaze of the chest and the paw's. When people think of Boxer's that is the one they expect to see. And "Normally," the way "Real Breeder's," have "White's" in stock (as it were) is when they bred a Flashy to a Flashy. If Breeder's stop doing that ... the White's would eventually disappear ... but they the color for White, would also disappear from the gene pool and in a few generation's ... no more Flashy's??? I think that is roughly correct?? At any rate, 30 some odd percent or so off all Boxer's are White!

So not exactly rare ... but not too common either?? In the real world, the only White Boxer I have ever seen has been my Struddell??

So there is that ... now why can't White's compete in AKC show's?? Well the "German "FCI" set's the standard's and Boxer's are a Working Dog, and to be a Working Dog, a Dog must be able to the same job as it's ... other color's can. And that is the "issue??" "That," being that the "German's decide the "Standard's" and they decided that "White Boxer's," are to easy to see at "Night," and therefore can't be K9 dog's! Therefore "They can't be Shown in conformation," end of story.

But hey it's not just "White Boxer??" Take note ... I'm pretty sure ... no has seen a White GSD, as a LE K9 Dog either???

The difference is GSD folk's are way more "anal or organized" than Boxer folk's?? And they said ... "Screw you!" And formed there own branch and now you can show them in the UKC, anyway as of 1999.

Now the next deal with the "White Boxer's," is of course "Reputable Breeder's," don't Breed the White's, it's against "Da Rulz," as it were. Now aside from that "Yes," it's a Boxer. :)

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Hmm well there is a lot here! But first you just need to ditch the thought, that "Walking a Dog, a Boxer, or any, Working Breed," is "Exercise!"

Walking the dog on a proper "Structured Walk," is extremely important, but not as a form of exercise?? "Boxer's need space" ... somewhere safe that you can allow them to run free, but to be able to do that you also need a rock solid reliable "Recall!" And letting them off leash and having a "Reliable Recall," takes a lot of Training!

And you have to have a "Reliable Recall," with "Distractions!" That is a thing! And I had that in the past with my American Band Dawg, my first (Boxer/Pit) and my WL GS and my Boxer, hmm and my first Herder Rescue/Foster!

Sigh but I was kinda exhausted after my last Dog Rocky, (WL GSD) passed (great dog but a lot of work for awhile) and was looking forward to my next White Boxer Girl. Sigh did not happen ... my wife interfered and we got a "FEMALE," Boxer/Pitt now the Boxer/Pitt not an issue but a girl ?? Sigh that was an issue for me, anyway ... and I got lazy and while she is excellent in door's! Yeah she "sill," has "No Reliable Recall," with distraction's!! And it can be pretty freaking embarrassing at times!!

So ... I can now at least let her off leash ... in a "Completely Distraction Free Environment!!" And I can recall her but unlike my Struddell who I let chase Bunny's in the open desert my Bella Pit/Boxer ...not so much! I go to a Desert Bowl Park, where it would be tougher for her to get out and rabbit's don't seem to hang out. :)

Now my point here ... is she get's out there and she just rip's!! And she can run wild and free!! We don't have to do that every day but a coupe times a week is useful.

But to get some ideal of the kinda "crazy," you "Will," see ... first thing in the morning if you have hopefully a large yard?? It is not unusual, to see them ... just rip around the yard!! And you will wonder each time they have to kinda slow down to make a hard cut ... if they will???

And they he will do that at insane speed's!! And you simply can't burn off that kinda energy with a "walking??"

And no you can't leave a "pup," in a Crate for 6 to hour's daily?? That's just animal abuse! And some how folk's seem to have "conflated," leaving a dog alone for 11 hour's or more with them going nut's if allowed to roam free indoor's?? Well that's just silly.

Now I can't say "exactly," how I do it?? Cuz I never really thought about it I guess, but I have never crate trained any of my puppy's?? And I don't have any Photo's or cute Youtube clip's I can post of total household, couch, furniture or assorted destruction either??

And nope I'm certainly not perfect and my, current dog "Bella," sigh certainly "suck's," at recall ... with distraction's!! But, if for whatever reason she had to be home for 24 hour's or more on her own?? The house would be just fine! And I De-Crate trained her when I got her (after the Cat thing) I got that right ... that took me about two or three day's ... another story.

But hey I am not "Anti Crate," but for a "puppy," 6 hour's is just to much! And I would go with BTE 2, a rescue house trained and house broken Rescue at 3 year's or more is a good choice. As with a one year old rescue ... you are right smack in the "teenage year's. And with "Working Breed's," that can be a whole nother level of "Hurt!" Wl GSD's anyway ... I just safely "assume," any other WL dog rescue, would be the same. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts