Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slowly day by day Lola has been eating less and less of her food.  Plus she'll only eat it when we mix something in with it such as cottage cheese, yogurt, applesauce.  So, I was thinking of making a switch back to Canidea.  She liked it, but with all her stomach and skin issues I took her off it and made the move to Pro Plan Sensative Skin & Stomach.  

With her being over a year now, and the realization that her allergies are not food related, do you think this would be a good idea?  
Any other food suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
We've now completely changed Duke over from Royal Canin Boxer (too high in fat; it made him sick) to Pro Plan Selects Salmon and Brown Rice.  At first he liked it, but then decided he didn't, and he went on a semi hunger strike once we were nearly finished changing him over (he'd refuse breakfast, but then eat most of his dinner because he was starving).  We decided to wait him out, and now his appetite is picking back up.  After a couple of weeks of turning up his nose at his food, he's realized that this is the only game in town!  Also, the more stuff you put in your dog's food, the more stuff he'll expect to be in there, actually creating a picky eater.  Duke dropped a couple of pounds during this time, but he's not stupid-he'll gain it back soon.  :wink:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Gus is doing that as well...for the past month now! I have changed foods and he will like it then turn him nose up at it! What a stinker! But I agree with Georgiapeach that it IS the only game in town  :lol:

Mine refuses breakfast then eats all his din din...Maybe go with what you know Lola likes especially if her allergies are not food related. I bet she will remember that smell and gobble it up!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Possibly Lola is getting bored? They do that sometimes...if you are sure her allergies are not food related, then I don't see why you couldn't switch back to Canidae, or perhaps get some samples of a few others...Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup, to name a few..I've cut back on the "extras" just to see how mine would handle it...HA, nothing phases them :lol: Clean plate club here :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My boy, Reggie, has food allergies.  We had to put him on Nature's Choice lamb and rice.  Granted he don't care too much for it, but he eats it if we mix it with the things you mentioned.  It's taken care of his skin problems, and belly problems.  I'd suggest you try that food brand.
Also, he LOVES those lamb lung tender chips by uncle sam's!  You can get them at Kroger.
Good luck!
mommy's heart

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our 7mo old has started acting "finicky" with his

Our Cooper has just started acting finicky with his eating (he is almost 7 months).  

He used to inhale his food in a minute or two, but now he is walking away before finishing and taking much longer to finish (he hasn't finished a couple of times - left about a quarter in the bowl).

We feed him Royal Canin puppy for large breeds. He gets about 2 cups twice a day with a bit of water mixed in.

Wondering how long we should let this play out before we try changing.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
761 Posts
Someone on here mentioned in a different thread they found a few dog foods that there boxer will eat and they rotate through every so often so their dog won't get bored.  Another brand that should be pretty easy for you to find is Wellness.  They're based right out of Tewksbury and seem to be a popular choice around here.  All the trainers and vets I've spoken with think highly of it and they recently added a "Simple Solutions" line that is for dogs with sensitive stomachs.  The puppy formula didn't work well with our dog and we switched to Canidae (though we are on a prescription food right now) which he seems to like alot.  If you know its not food allergies maybe find 2 or 3 foods that work well and rotate through them to keep her interested.  We don't have this problem with Cassius but with another dog we had a picky eater and we would just pick up the food after a half hour and that was it.  Eventually she came around and realized that was it.  We were less educated then and I wouldn't rush eating because of issues it can cause but it worked with her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts