Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Re: This is a stupid question but...

call a professional... My uncle is an exterminator and i promise you you dont want to mess with bees!  especially with dogs around

·
Registered
152 Posts

In a bush it's rough...in a hole, you can just dump gasoline in there at night and light it on fire.

But in a bush, you may need some type of bee killer.  Go to the hardware store (go to a smaller, mom and pop shop, as they tend to carry the stronger, commercial grade stuff a lot) -- and get a good bit.  Just hit it up after the sun goes down.  If you want, hose it back down the next morning with water, just be ready to run in case.

I deal with a lot of bees and wasps in my business because I do a lot of stripping and staining decks.  I prefer to find the nests when I have my pressure washer out with about 4000 psi of pressure at my disposal and deal with them then.  If you don't find them then, they're a real pain once you're staining and defenseless.

Sometimes, we'll pre-treat though if it's a large enough problem.  Basically the day before we start a job, just go with some stuff from the hardware store and douse them down.  I've never had a problem, although I've never had to hit a nest that was hidden in a bush.  You're certain these things aren't living in a hole in a wall behind the bush, right?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

No I'm not certain where they are because I can't find the nest.  But they were there last summer too.  I just see them in and around the bush which is right off the edge of the patio and at the sw corner of the house.  If you walk slowly by them they don't bother you, but the doggies get to running and playing and stir them up.  I'm also worried about them getting into any pesticides I use.  Thanks for the websites, I bought a can of Raid, so I'll try that at dusk.

·
Registered
16 Posts

There is a national bee shortage or most of them are hiding.  If you call someone in your area that have beehives, they will be glad to come and get them.  At least I hope so, we haven't seen any bees around all year.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Oh, sorry, we had a news article a couple days ago.  Where a limb broke off on a tree close to town,  a beekeeper came in and said there was probably 50,000 of the little boogers.  He brought in a queen and appearently they all went with him.  They probably wouldn't come for just a few so an exterminator is the answer.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions here.  My bees turned out to be wasps and there were two hives in the BBQ and they had also gone down a crack in the cement between the stairwell and the patio.  Thanks to all your suggestions, I was able to spray the nests and kill them at dusk and by the next day they were all dead and/or gone.  What a relief!!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Whew, glad you were able to get rid of those nasty buggers Kate....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts