Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to name our boxer (when we get one) Bruno. One question, will there be any problems with it, since his name and "no" will sound the same? :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
It is possible depending on the tone.. If you use NO stern but calm and Bruno nice... it may see the difference...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boxer_man_Rich\";p=\"79294 said:
It is possible depending on the tone.. If you use NO stern but calm and Bruno nice... it may see the difference...
I guess the only time I would say his name in a very stern voice, is if I was correcting him, and would probably be saying "no" also, lol.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Or you could take the opportunity to stop saying "no". ;)  It's just a sound, to your dog, until you attach meaning to it, and people in general tend to say "no" almost unconsciously.  I've found that trying to avoid using "no", and instead thinking about what I want the dog to do, helps both of us - so instead of "no" to stop a dog from, say, chewing on a slipper, I use their name to get their attention, and then give them a proper puppy chew toy and praise heavily for using that.  (It's not an easy thing to do, stop saying "no", but it really does put a whole different 'spin' on the relationship.)

·
Registered
780 Posts
That is a cute name.  You could also pick another word to use for correction instead of NO, maybe STOP or DROP, etc.  Something that is easy to remember and simple to say?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
When Donner was in puppy school the trainer recommended finding a word other than no for corrections. Her reason being that as humans we tend to say no,no,no repeatedly and it loses effectiveness. As Newcastle said, using another word makes US stop and think. We decided on using UH-OH and use it very sparingly, work great!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I use uh uh a lot, and both of mine respond to that quite well...Bruno is a great name

1 - 7 of 7 Posts