Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have a beautiful fawn 2 yr female and are considering rescuing a six month old male, i have been warned against it but if you could share your insites if you have 2 dogs thanks!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Re: Thoghts on 2 boxers?

I don't have 2, but would love to!!! From what I've read and seen, two is a whole lot better than one. Sure, there are pro's and cons, but I think the pro's out weigh the con's. Two boxers keep themselves very entertained. They will play together, sleep together, eat together, basically be the other one's shadow. The only con's I can really think of is the cost. Twice the vet bills, food bills, etc. Also, if one is destucting something, the other will probably follow suit!  8O I think the male female combination works best. I'm sure someone with two will chime in and say they would probably never have just one again. Just think....twice the love! Now, I just have to convince the hubby!  :think:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Re: Thoghts on 2 boxers?

Oh definitely adopt that little guy!! Two boxers are better than one. They keep each other entertained & provide exercise for each other.  Yes your food bills, etc would be more, but it is soo worth it..

When Buck was about a year and a half I rescued a female for a buddy for him & that was the best decision. One will always be the "instigator", but there is nothing I enjoy more than watching a couple boxers play, they are a riot..

Since we moved recently, we are now in the position to get a second boxer, so I am looking for a little sis for Samson..Hubby is convinced that it's in Samson's best interest so now I just have to find the perfect play pal for him...

Let us know what you decide....

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think it would be a good time to add another puppy.  I would definately go with the female/male combo.  We have two male puppies but agreed to rescue the younger one when the first one was still quite young.  It has worked well for us and they get along fabulously.

I think your older one would be a big help in the training of the puppy and he would follow suit more easily.  There is an added cost but the benefits are also multiplied.  We wouldn't have it any other way.  They are constant companions but also interact well on their own.  They each have their own adorable personality.

The best advice I could offer is to make sure that you are not only concerned with the training of the new one but also continue with the training of the older one.  It will keep her from feeling jealous and left out and will also keep her mind active and out of mischief.

Good luck on your decision and if you do decide to add another one to your family, please share your stories and of course photos!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I say how could having more than one boxer be a problem?  If you have the time and space and want more of that commitment- go for it.  When you find something you love, enjoy as much of it as you can for as long as you can.... and yes, that applies to cheesecake as well!
~Anne

·
Registered
744 Posts
2 years old is the perfect time to bring another dog into the house. Having two dogs is great because they keep each other busy, they play and tire each other out, there's two to love on, less room left on your couch. . . :p

Having said that, having two means two times the vet bills, two times the cost for things like Heartworm, flea or tick prevention, twice the money in food bills, etc.

Good luck! Adopting from a rescue organization is a great way to go!

·
Registered
770 Posts
We've often debated getting another boxer. When Daisy meets another boxer I guarantee that they will greet,jump and play with eachother in a way that no other breed of dog seems to greet a boxer! Other breeds of dog seem to be a bit wary of our bouncy little bundle of fun that is Daisy! If we did get another I would love to get a rescue. If you go for it I'm sure you will be in for loads of fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts