Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female boxer that just turned over a year old...When we first start out on a walk she will pull a bit but then she will be fine and walk perfectly beside me....UNTIL SHE SHES ANOTHER DOG OR PERSON and then starts pulling towards them (not aggressivly). I have tried the whole stopping and waiting. I have a Martingale collor on her, but I honestly doesn't think it does anything when I try to correct her as she still doesn't pay any attention to me and pulls. I just bought a Gentle Leader Head Halter (haven't tried it yet) and wonder what others thoughts are on it??
I have tried also just trying a nylon slip collar and focusing more on my energy, but it didn't work....the collar wouldn't stay up behind her ears.
Im just not sure if i want to try it, as many people say that these "tools" never correct the problem.

Like I said she is perfect on the walk until she meets another dog or person...help!!!!

Her's a pic of her

Attachments

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Sounds just like my Laila! Walks loose leash the entire time until she sees another dog. I've used a GL halter and while it made controlling her very easy, it didn't necessarily stop the pulling towards other dogs. And, she spent a good portion of the walk trying to get the halter off her muzzle...lol. Some dogs do get used to it, though. Same with the Easy Walk harness that I use....great for control, but, doesn't always stop pulling when there is a distraction.

However, I found clicker training to be the most effective when it came to other dogs approaching. You could use a combination of the two....halter and clicker. I really think it all depends on your dog. If they are comfortable with the halter it can be a useful training tool.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
My trainer will only use these. I, personally, don't care for them they remind me too much of a muzzle. I have only heard good things about them if you can get it on your dog. Watching them put it on the first time is quite amusing..LOL Good luck Jaxon does this as well.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
My trainer will only use these. I, personally, don't care for them they remind me too much of a muzzle.
Yes...some people think it is a muzzle and it creates fear! I was in a busy downtown area once and Laila was a puppy wearing the head halter and I overheard an elderly lady say "oh my gawd, that dog has a muzzle, stay away!"

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have never used either because my Male is a Houdini and will probably find a way out of them. I gave up on the choke chain also as it can cause damage to the throat if you have a puller.

I have always owned pitbulls before I got my Boxer and pittbulls are serious pullers. I would recommend putting yourself in between her and the person and shortening the leash in some instances I have had to walk my male while holding the collar by people when they have small dogs, small dogs really make him excited. I also will make him sit and let the person pass if he gets to hyper.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
What a beautiful girl you have. I am also having that problem. I am switching to an adjustable harness. I also have had pitbulls, and the harness is always good.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes I agree harnesses are good because some dogs don't like the pressure under the front legs when they pull and it might deter the pulling some. Oddly enough When I put a harness on my male for the first time last month it was like walking a dream dog no pulling or anything but then he chewed up the harness so I am back to square one for now.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My dog Aspen is leash reactive with strangers, so she pulls, lunges etc. I've been working with a trainer, and almost all of our excersises are based around getting Aspen to focus on me, and not everything that's going on around her. We run obstacles (basically we just go over/under/around anything we can find), I do fast direction changes with her, and I put her in a sit and wait for something to grab her attention and then run in the opposite direction. We've been doing this for about two months now and I've seen quite a lot of improvement. It'll also help for you to put the leash around your waist while you're in the house (known as umbilical training) so your dog has to follow you wherever you go. When you're out for a walk, as soon as she starts pulling and lunging, turn and go in the opposite direction (if she is still looking behind herself to keep an eye on the other dog/person, then run fast so she has to look forward). Once she's calmed down and walking nicely again facing forwards, turn back around and walk back towards the person/dog. Keep repeating this and she'll learn that if she pulls, she doesn't get what she wants (to go and say hi). But if she walks nicely, then she gets to say hello to the dog/person.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to mention about the halties. I know people who use them and they do seem to work, but they don't fix the problem (that the dog is impatient and not focusing on you) they just mask the symptoms. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i love the head halter idea. i use it on my german shepherd as well. i am totally against choke collars! i like to educate people on the idea of head halters and show them the difference in a halter and muzzle. i find it a very effective tool!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am a big supporter of prong collars. Just make sure you know how to use it and your pup will learn how to walk with you regardless of distractions around him/her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts