Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay...we are having some problems...

1.  Chole (11 months) and Fiddler (9 months) both know to go outside to do their business.  However, they still go in the house when we are not looking.  They know it is bad but still do it.  I have no idea what to do??

2.  Fiddler eats his poop.  We think it is to hide it because he knows it's bad to poop in the house.  

3.  Last, it seems like they both only listen when they want to and we are not crimpping their routine.  I have no idea how to start making steps to fix these issues...hince I am here for help :).

Thanks,

Brooks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ok, on the housebreaking issue I would go back to basics...Start all over agin..When they have an accident in the house, clean it up, take it outside where you want them to go and place the towels....Try using leads to take them out potty, repeat the command "let's go potty"...Lots of praise, may want to start using treats..No play time til after they do what they went outside for....Keep leads on them inside, makes it easier to grab if necessary...Do not scold, it does no good at all, they know they have done wrong and dogs have a very short memory....

There are additives you can get, Petsmart may carry them that you can feed to keep Fiddler from eating poo, it's a common problem....

As far as listening, that is an ongoing project..Boxers will turn a deaf ear at times, mine do....There are 2 Sticky topics in the training section about recall, that's a good place to start..Turn it into a game with your family..You may find that is some help as well....Constantly call their name, if they look at you, reward them...Start little, and work up.....

Good luck, hope this was some help

·
Registered
780 Posts
I agree with Willow, starting over and working through it again.  I know that it is very frustrating to deal with.  Our Calli was extremely stubborn and would go potty in the house as soon as we walked out (this was before we got the cage).  We think she did it out of spite because we left her.  She would also eat her poo (she never did grow out of that but it did get better as she got older and we watched carefully).  All of ours have had the not listening thing, they have selective hearing and only did what they want.  The worst is when they are outside and not ready to come in, no amount of calling them will get them in unless they are ready.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We give our dogs LOTS of praise when the go to the bathroom outside. Even Rocky who is 2 1/2 years still get praise. He is SO excited after he does his business.

As far as eating the poop, I heard that putting some meat tenderizer in the food makes the poop taste bad and they'll stop eating it (I heard).

·
Registered
578 Posts
"As far as eating the poop, I heard that putting some meat tenderizer in the food makes the poop taste bad and they'll stop eating it (I heard)....."

MAKES THE POOP TASTE BAD? HAHA DOES IT TASTE GOOD NOW? HHAHA

·
Registered
780 Posts
Also forgot to add....not sure what food you are feeding but when Calli started doing that as a puppy we asked our vet and he recommened that we switch food (had her on purina puppy chow) because some foods come out still smelling (guess to the dog?) like their food (he said purina puppy chow wasn't a good food and that Calli was probably still smelling it in her poo.  It helped a lot when we switched to Natures Recipe (was 17 years ago and there weren't many higher quality type foods out that we could get).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts