Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the more active members or experienced dog owners have no need of this as we got this solved long ago for the most part. :)

But it is important cuz if your dog, "Door Bolt's," he could die and you won't have a dog to train. It's pretty much that simple. But we got a lot of newbie's lately and we have no idea what they know are can accomplish??

There are lots of ways of training "Threshold Waiting" and this is just one of them.

And while yes Robert Cabral uses treat's. You don't have to ... if you know what your doing. The bottom line is ... "does this work and I can I do it???" And I picked this particular one ...cuz I have learned and shared a lot of "Stuff,"
from a Mal Guy, while I was on Germanshpeardforum ... here for instance. :

Mal Guy's like to share and are pretty good at explaining stuff. And nope this is not the only way to get this done. I just used a Slip Lead Leash with Bella and we got it done in pretty short order.

And for the newbies when he uses "treat's" ... pay attention close to what he says and does. And later on "Shaping and Luring Behaviour's," with the use of treat's, will make a lot of sense. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
My guys are very good at the "wait" command and they also know they are not allowed outside my front gate without a leash. One thing I see people do all the time and not just Boxers is open their car doors and let their dogs jump out unleashed it makes me crazy because dogs don't know a dangerous situation from a safe one so I never let my guys out of the car until they are leashed!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You and Yes! If the car is also an important part of your dog's life?? "Then Car Proofing," is also very important! And getting the front door threshold done first does make car proofing easier. But owner's do have to be sure to do it! You don't want your dog's bolting out the car just because you open a car Door!

And a note here for multiple dog owner's. If you have multiple dog's?? It is twice the work, you can train them together but you have to train and proof each one separately! If you don't, you could find the new dog doesn't really know crap?? They will just key off the lead dog?? Monkey see, Monkey do??

I had that happen once with Struddell (avatar). In the car she was, always with Gunther (my first dog and trained really well. Well one day I took Struddell with me to store and left Gunther home, he was sleeping or something another?? No big deal?? I got to the store and opened the rear door to get something and as soon as the door opened Struddell jumped out and into a Parking Lot full of fool driver's??? WTH, I was freaked but she did stay by my side. I got her back in the car quickly but I was rattled?? WTH, had just happened here?? She should have know better and she had been in and out of the car for two year's and this had never happened???

And then I realized she had ALWAYS, been with Gunther?? And this time she was not and she really had no idea what the rule's were without her buddy?? I made the adjustment (train her on this alone) and it never happened again!

And we don't have a front gate just an open front yard ... But Gunther, Struddell and well of course Rocky (WL GSD) were all trained "On the lawn," (with distraction's) free to move about the yard but you can't leave it! That was a piece of cake for those guy's. :)

And sigh then came Bella (Pit/Boxer) and thus far while I am doing better with her ... she is extremely "Drivey," and she fail's miserably with distractions! She is car proofed of course ... or so I thought at the time?? But at sigh ... the Dog Park. While I parked and went to a couple to negate a possible meet and greet?? Bella bolted thru the open driver side window and got in the dog's face!!! The other dog was behind the fence and Bella got in his face!! It was all down hill from there!!

She put on quite a show so the other dog did also! I don't think the other owner's had every seen there dog in kill mode before?? They just stood there in shock?? Sigh for me it was same old old (Bella was new) but actually dog fight's ... been there done that! So I scooped up Bella's ignorant butt, threw her back in the car (put the window up) and went back to the fence to apologize to the other dog owner's.

So back to basic's again more car work to do .... apparently?? And I think I got it done (for real now??) I did proof her with a Person anyway. Put her leash on, I parked to unload computer stuff. Left the passenger side door open with her in the seat to unload the trunk. And one of the worker's walked up to her and started to pet her. She is "people safe," cuz that would not have happened with Rocky! At any rate she did good! She greeted the guy and never tried to leave the car without Permission! Sigh I suppose ... I gotta go back to the Dog Park, park with windows down get out and ... wait?? You know see if she will try that crap again??

But anyway ... with the front door, you do/can get an "automatic wait," just thru the "process of training" Threshold Behavior. You can also add a "verbal," Wait command at the same time. It's optional for this, I suppose??

I go thru the front door first and then release Bella to follow. But I don't have to tell her to wait, that much at least she has down solid. The main difference with the automatic wait, is that if the front door happens to get left open by accident or intent ... the dog won't go thru without being released.

But yeah "wait," could be useful under other circumstances?? So you know two for one ... train threshold and add "wait," as a command couldn't hurt. :)
`

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Not having a fence made it a necessity to train that from day 1 for me. Although even if I had one I would have trained the same way. Bad manners at the door and around food are 2 big pet peeves for me.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not having a fence made it a necessity to train that from day 1 for me. Although even if I had one I would have trained the same way. Bad manners at the door and around food are 2 big pet peeves for me.
Man not having a fenced in backyard?? That would be tough!! We did not get our first dog until the year 2000, when we stopped renting and got our first house!

The front door bolting crap, and not having it, is fairly obvious ... I would think?? But a Boxer and no back yard ... that would be tough! I would think???

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Man not having a fenced in backyard?? That would be tough!! We did not get our first dog until the year 2000, when we stopped renting and got our first house!

The front door bolting crap, and not having it, is fairly obvious ... I would think?? But a Boxer and no back yard ... that would be tough! I would think???
Lot of training. lol.

I'm at the point now where I pretty much never have him leashed. I mean its there because of leash laws, but it just drags. I can leave my door open and he will just sit there and watch. He knows the property lines, and he knows the street is off limits without me. Took some years to get there, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lot of training. lol.

I'm at the point now where I pretty much never have him leashed. I mean its there because of leash laws, but it just drags. I can leave my door open and he will just sit there and watch. He knows the property lines, and he knows the street is off limits without me. Took some years to get there, but it was worth it.
Congratulations Matt. I can at least remember ... having a dog like that, ie a dog you can trust! And yeah I guess it was year's in the making for me also???

At least the door and the car, things appear to be "solid!" Other than that?? Under the crap happens unintended distractions bit! She is racking up Fail's, like an addict on crack!! o_O

And to night she added a new skill to her repertoire?? One I have seen before with my first Boxer/Pit but have not seen since the year 2000!

Slippery headed dog?? IE the ability to chuck a collar at will?? I had her traffic leash on her with her regular collar and we had a vacuum cleaner guy giving a demo. He was a dog guy so he was good with her being in the room. There was no barking or such but she ... seriously wanted to meet this guy!! I had her off to the side and out way and there was no barking and such, but plenty of sheer hard core ... I am gonna meet this guy come hell or high water intensity!!!

But I'm holding her and she does ... "something" moves back toward me??" And the next thing I know, I'm holding a traffic leash and an empty collar??? She bolt's across to meet the guy and at least sit's to be pet. Forget your vacuum cleaner meet me! :)

Course I was hot on her butt and yeah she is people safe but she would certainly scare the hell out of most people doing that! Sigh, I scoop her up and out she goes! But of course that solves nothing?? And the guy was good with her, so I bring her in and use her new Martingale Collar (I had just bought on a whim) and the traffic leash and take her back inside, sit next to her on the couch and ... she did good! I suppose I should have sat with her on the couch at the gate ... now I know.

I am starting to understand her a bit better after a year ... sigh. She has a "lot" of drive! She doubles down on Struddell in that department easily! And when she ramp's up it's a bit of a PIA to deal with??

And while I had thought ... the E-collar maybe for "us??" Phase was over?? Perhaps not, cuz now she is solidly at the ... "Yeah I know and understand the Command ... I just don't give a crap! :)

But in her defense ... our outing's have not being happening for at least a month?? I had the "not the Flu" for two or three week's? Got better for maybe a week?? Then wound up not being able to well move and could barely breath and in the ER for hour's. I had fluid in the left lung ... Pneumonia and Thoracic Strain (IE it hurts to breath.) It still took me two days of that crap before I decided well my wife really, that your going to the ER!! I suppose much like my dog's I can be kinda pig headed. :)

But yeah being cooped up ... has made Bella kinda of a handful. But she is on the couch sleeping now as she had a good day! But that one well trained dog before adding a second dog thing ... is gonna take a bit more time than I expected???

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Congratulations Matt. I can at least remember ... having a dog like that, ie a dog you can trust! And yeah I guess it was year's in the making for me also???

At least the door and the car, things appear to be "solid!" Other than that?? Under the crap happens unintended distractions bit! She is racking up Fail's, like an addict on crack!! o_O

And to night she added a new skill to her repertoire?? One I have seen before with my first Boxer/Pit but have not seen since the year 2000!

Slippery headed dog?? IE the ability to chuck a collar at will?? I had her traffic leash on her with her regular collar and we had a vacuum cleaner guy giving a demo. He was a dog guy so he was good with her being in the room. There was no barking or such but she ... seriously wanted to meet this guy!! I had her off to the side and out way and there was no barking and such, but plenty of sheer hard core ... I am gonna meet this guy come hell or high water intensity!!!

But I'm holding her and she does ... "something" moves back toward me??" And the next thing I know, I'm holding a traffic leash and an empty collar??? She bolt's across to meet the guy and at least sit's to be pet. Forget your vacuum cleaner meet me! :)

Course I was hot on her butt and yeah she is people safe but she would certainly scare the hell out of most people doing that! Sigh, I scoop her up and out she goes! But of course that solves nothing?? And the guy was good with her, so I bring her in and use her new Martingale Collar (I had just bought on a whim) and the traffic leash and take her back inside, sit next to her on the couch and ... she did good! I suppose I should have sat with her on the couch at the gate ... now I know.

I am starting to understand her a bit better after a year ... sigh. She has a "lot" of drive! She doubles down on Struddell in that department easily! And when she ramp's up it's a bit of a PIA to deal with??

And while I had thought ... the E-collar maybe for "us??" Phase was over?? Perhaps not, cuz now she is solidly at the ... "Yeah I know and understand the Command ... I just don't give a crap! :)

But in her defense ... our outing's have not being happening for at least a month?? I had the "not the Flu" for two or three week's? Got better for maybe a week?? Then wound up not being able to well move and could barely breath and in the ER for hour's. I had fluid in the left lung ... Pneumonia and Thoracic Strain (IE it hurts to breath.) It still took me two days of that crap before I decided well my wife really, that your going to the ER!! I suppose much like my dog's I can be kinda pig headed. :)

But yeah being cooped up ... has made Bella kinda of a handful. But she is on the couch sleeping now as she had a good day! But that one well trained dog before adding a second dog thing ... is gonna take a bit more time than I expected???
Thats scary. I had that happen one time when we were on a bike ride when he was about a year old. We stopped at an intersection and I told him to back up, he started backing up and he backed right out of his harness. I turned around and he is looking at me with a goofy face, I was like "stay!" Thank god he did, but my heart was going a mile a minute.

Yeah, I'm finally at the point I trust him a 100%. Took 4 years but it was worth it and I learned a ton. Thats why a few years back I was so intent on training the focused heel. I know most people don't train it except for competition, but that was my reason to train it. Plus it makes it easier I don't have to hold a leash when ever we step out side.

Well at least you finally went to the doctors. lol. Good to hear you are doing better, the lung stuff can really knock you down. I had walking pneumonia one year and I wasn't right for a month.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats scary. I had that happen one time when we were on a bike ride when he was about a year old. We stopped at an intersection and I told him to back up, he started backing up and he backed right out of his harness. I turned around and he is looking at me with a goofy face, I was like "stay!" Thank god he did, but my heart was going a mile a minute.
He got out and still, did Stay and gave you a Goofy Look (Kinda like ... this is funny?? Hmm would he have been by any chance a "puppy" at the time??? Cuz I have seen that same look and behaviour many years ago.

And would that have been a a regular harness, I assume?? Not some Easy Walk thingie?? I ask cuz a tip for other's is if your walking your dog on a harness "AND," it's a young dog or puppy and not really trained well??? It would be best to attach the harness clip to a D link and attach that to the dog's collar. And keep the leash clipped to the dog's collar..So if they slip out of the harness ... you still have them. Cuz surprisingly enough dog's can slip out of harness??

Yeah, I'm finally at the point I trust him a 100%. Took 4 years but it was worth it and I learned a ton. Thats why a few years back I was so intent on training the focused heel. I know most people don't train it except for competition, but that was my reason to train it. Plus it makes it easier I don't have to hold a leash when ever we step out side.
Yeah I remember having a dog like that. That would be Rocky (WL GSD) we were like Trigger and Roy Roger's! Lot of work but he was a great dog. :)

But I had uh ... "Behavioral Issues," with "Rocky," and Walking him was important. Bella has no "Behavioural Issues??" Lack of discipline (with distractions off leash ... apparently.) But that is a training thing and I have been slacking uh a lot. But I'll look into competition Heeling (also??) She is impressive in what she does ...when I can get her to "Focus!" :)

Well at least you finally went to the doctors. lol. Good to hear you are doing better, the lung stuff can really knock you down. I had walking pneumonia one year and I wasn't right for a month.
Well glad you got better also!!

The back of my shoulder blades aching was the first and only sigh?? One side then the other then both. Then it got uncomfortable to breath?? Yeah in retrospect that should have been an "uh see a doctor signal??? But nope not for me! It tooks lot's of pain and the inability to uh move! To convince me that uh ..."perhaps this is serious???"

I needed two cane's to barely move about the house and finally struggle to get to the car! And needed a wheelchair to get into the ER for help.

They did good out here and you know you are bad off when your in the ER for hour's, on one of there articulated table/bed's ... being poked prodded and pumped full of drug's. And that is the best you have felt in a week! And I was in no hurry leave!

But pretty much back to normal after three day's or so. The next day I could get out of bed! And four day's later now. Bella and I went on two back to back desert outings. Off Leash ... uh, in a distraction free area! :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yeah he was about a year old. Pretty much a regular harness made by ruffwear. Its padded on the pressure points though for using on bike rides. I finally got him a custom harness last year, like for bikejoring, and of course he doesn't really care for it. Lol. Its so much nicer than the ruffwear one and specifically made for pulling.That was some money down the drain.

Next time listen to the wife and go to the doctors early!;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts