Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had written a while back when we first got Blue, and asked for help.  He had stopped throwing up and the diarrhea had stopped.  Now all of a sudden he is throwing up again.  I had taken him to the vet yesterday to get his first round of shots and told her that he throws up in the car, and if we wake him up from a nap.  Since he thinks he's a lap dog he tends to take his naps on us, and if we move him to go to the bathroom, he will throw up.  It's the strangest thing!  

Now my question is, should we get a second opinion?  The vet said that it's motion sickness.  He is gaining weight, and has normal stool.  At this point I am totally confused, and sick of having to change 6 times a day, due to getting thrown up on constantly.  Plus, he is sooooo darn cute I can't even get mad.  I'm just so worried about him, I don't know what to do anymore.  We have cut out anything we were giving him that was new.  No treats, no flavored chew toys... and he is still throwing up!

Please Help!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you would feel more comfortable with a second opinion then I would get one, but I was gonna say it could be motion sickness also.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
second opinions never hurt.  it would at least help quelch any fear you may have of it being a bigger issue

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Has your vet done any tests such as blood work?  Not saying this to worry you, just trying to find out how they have diagnosed this as motion sickness.  If you had the money, I would suggest having some basic tests done.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No blood tests!  I brought it up last week when at the vet, and she just said it could be from being in a new home with new people.  But it's been over a week with the same food, same people, same home and it just started happening again when we took him in the car Saturday, so I think she just assumed that it's motion sickness.

I would love to find a vet that specializes in Boxers, but I can't seem to find one in the Cleveland area

·
Registered
521 Posts
It truly does sound like motion sickness.  

If it will ease your mind, I agree: get a second opinion. I know its so frustrating; when Beckham had pneumonia no one diagnosed him at first, until we got a second opinion.  sometimes its the best choice.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
What is Blue throwing up? Is it food or bile (yellow foamy stuff)? You could give him a tablespoon of yogurt each day.  Just make sure it is a low fat plain unsweetened kind. I like the Stoneyfield Farms brand, it has more probiotics in it.  If the yogurt doesn't help, I would definitely seek a second opinion.
Hope Blue feels better soon!  :wink:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We'll try that!  He isn't throwing up food!  It's bile, and water!  Sometimes he tends to chug his water, and then plays around and throws up.  We will give the yogurt a try

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Boxers have a large palet and are prone to over endulging in water or food and then throwing it up when they get to moving to fast or going down steps suddenly or what not.  All of mine are prone to do it.  I feed three times a day to help lessen that and find that it really does help.  The water issue, well sometimes we have to say "enough" water for now.  It is common though.  I had one once that kept throwing up off and on for a couple of weeks then one night out came a big piece of a rubber toy, one of those smiling lips toys.  I don't know how she had been eating and drinking with that big thing stuck in there, but I think that that had been the culprit and had been stuck for those two weeks and I never had any idea.

Nano

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's good to know!  I thought I was going crazy, I was so worried that something was wrong with him.  The vet told us that if it didn't stop, they were going to take x-rays to see if there were tumors in his stomach...  I was so worried

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Definitely try the yogurt. If it's bile it should help. When I first got Maddie she threw up bile every morning at 3 am, it was like clock work. I give her the yogurt every night right before bed, and she doesn't throw up anymore.  :)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Maybe I should try yogurt... my doctor said to give Odin Mylanta... 2-3 tbsp. For his throwing up... which just started today and they are basically saying it's motion sickness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i don't know if anyone said this already...BUT; our boxer was throwing up very frequently and our vet thought she was allergic to the Chicken base in her IAMS food.
So...does your boxers food contain chix? I know that seems silly and simple...but we switched to a lamb base IAMS and she hasn't thrown up since...and this was months ago.
Just thought i'd tell you my story....hope it helps! Keep us updated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
That's a good idea... maybe he's having an allergic reaction. It makes him nauseous and then the movement or what not makes the nausea worse, causing the vommiting. Though I don't know how to explain him not vommiting for that week.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Has he had all his monthly worm treatments? Worms could make him vomit :?  Just throwing in another suggestion! Hope you find the cause - sounds unpleasant...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes we are on our 2nd deworming.  We gave him the second treatment Monday and they checked his poop last time we were in.  We were giving him the Iams puppy treats when he goes out to the bathroom, since they were the only ones that said for Sensitive Stomach.  I have no idea off the top of my head if they are chicken.  I know the BilJac treats we switched to are chicken liver.....  I will check that when I get home.  Thanks for all the help, I truly thought we were going crazy or bought a very sick puppy.  I'm still hoping that neither of those are true!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts