Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merlin has been throwing up & having diarrhea for the past 2 days. We took him to the lake and had a constant watch on him, so he hasn't gotten into anything bad. But, my son fed him some canned food with some of his dog's kibble (which Merlin isn't used to). Then, yesterday, we took him over to my parents where he got some scraps of fried chicken (no bones). Could it have just been too rich for him? Is it safe to give him Pepto Bismal? His vomit is white foamy stuff. He backed up to the shower last night and had one hard stool, then diarrhea. Any ideas? (Merlin is 9 months old & around 65 lbs.)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My two cents itst he grease from the fried chix.   Not that is too rich, its just something they are not used to digesting.   Vomit and runs are a dogs way of getting rid of a toxin.  I would just feed him a bland diet of boiled chix and rice, and make sure he is drinking so he does not dehydrate from the vomit & runs.

It could also have been something he ate in the lake.    I would just keep an eye on him, and make sure he does not go larthargic, if that happen and gums are pale, then call the vet, he made need some fluids:)  

Hope he feels better!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hum.  My boxer was doing the same thing a couple of months ago.  And we took him to the vet and he wanted to know what we were feeding him, and of course we were giving him table scrapes at times.  And the vet said NO MORE.  So not really any problems since then.  Our vet told us that when they vomit up white foamy stuff its because there is nothing left to vomit.  And usually when they get food that they arent used to it can cause this.  Our vet gave Tug some I/D science diet to help ease the digestion.  And some vomit/diarrhea pills too.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
OTC Pets meds are  -

Pepto Bismol
Use: Vomiting, gas, or diarrhea
Dosage: 1 tsp. per 5 pounds every 6 hours

Maalox
Use: Antacid and anti-gas
Dosage: Up to 4 tbs. every 8 hours

Kaopectate
Use: Diarrhea
Dosage: 1 ml per pound every 2 hours

Imodium
Use: Diarrhea
Dosage: Follow child dosage instructions

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Also to fim up stools there is a thing called "Fast Track GI"  Its a pasty tube that you can probablly get at a specialty store that can help with the settling of the stomach and firm up the runs.

However, the rice if you feed boiled chix and rice can do that as well.  Carbs are great for binding and firming stools.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When we first started noticing that with Tug, I called the vet and they told us to feed him boild chicken & rice.  We were on the road and couldnt get to the vet right away.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Chloe was really sick one time and I gave her no food for 12 hrs, one dose of pepto to help her tummy troubles and offered her unsweetened Pedialyte ice cubes to keep her hydrated because she refused to drink water, only wanted ice cubes. Then I slowly started giving her boiled rice and chicken. Hope he starts feeling better soon

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gave him half a Pepto tablet about 30 minutes ago. He seems to be drinking water okay. I'm headed to the store for chicken & rice. He ate  little of his food last night (with nonfat yogurt in it), but hasn't had anything yet today. I put his food down (plain kibble) but he ignored it so I picked it up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FYI to all:  Merlin seems to be feeling much better. No diarrhea or vomiting this afternoon. Fed him a little chicken & rice (which he scarfed up!) this evening. Thanks for all the great info & concern!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Glad he is doing better!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
sbudd....Glad he is feeling better and hope it continues.....For future reference I would suggest using liquid pepto instead of the tablets.  They do not digest the tablets as well as the liquid.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts