Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone. Sorry I haven't been around. Anyway. We rescued another dog back in October. Her name is Shelby,she is a year old. She has been throwing up for the past two weeks now. It's always whole food and bile. She went to the vet on Saturday and had x-rays. She had something in her stomach (not sure what at the time). They put her on a handful of low fat food every fours hours to help it pass. That didn't work. On Monday I took her to the vet again and they kept her to evaulate. The vet on site said she was acting normal and nothing seem to cause alarm for surgery,so they feed her a bowl of low fat food and sure enough called me four hours later saying she threw up on them. They decided to do a barium which was going great until Tuesday morning when it was stopped by something in her colon. Exploratory surgery was decided,after the surgery the vet called me and said it was just feces that was stuck in her colon so they cleaned it out and she was doing great. I picked her up on Wednesday and once home feed her low fat i/d food. This morning at 3 she threw up. I'm at a loss at what to do. I'm guessing she may have gotten a few bites of the other dogs food. What do you guys think? All is appreciated. :cry_baby:

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
OK well this certainly sucks! I have no answers myself but if your dog is being a tool ... I got your back :)

But ...it's late and there are members on here well versed in health issues.Give it some time and they will show up. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, I haven't been on here in quite some time either. The vet put my dog on that food for pancreatitis and he was actually allergic to the food so much so that he broke out in hives and all hair fell out. The vet said they didn't think it was the food but when I took him off and cooked for him all of that stopped. You may want to try boiling him some chicken with rice unless he's allergic to grain which mine is so I used potatoe or sweet potatoe without the skins. Hope this helps your poor baby.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Can you give her about three tablespoons of the id mashed with potato, and a little fat free chicken broth. I guess I'd feed this every 3 to 4 hours until she can hold it down. It's worked for me.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
or,as an alternative to something to try,a couple tablespoons of plain yogurt before the kibble (or even switching to pre-made raw)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She ate last night at 6:30 pm and threw it all up at 3:00 this morning. She just started doing this. We got her Science Diet Sensitive stomach. She ate 1 1/2 cups. I don't understand why all the sudden in a months time she can't hold down food. She just ate 1 cup. She hadn't gotten into the other dogs food last night,we feed them in a different room. I hate that she isn't able to keep anything down. I'll get her some yogurt today and try it. I'm praying that works.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Has your vet tested the pancreas function? This sounds like pancreatitis or EPI even.

Do not feed the dog for 24 hrs. Allow the pancreas to rest. Then offer liver broth in small amounts several times the next 24 hrs. I'd order some pancreatic enzyme powder such as viocase.

I'd start with home cooking. I'd offer boiled sweet potatoes with skin ON. Mash it up. Order some honest kitchen preference and cook lean ground turkey to start.

Offer a table spoon at a time, then wait an hour. If she keeps it down, offer another tablespoon.

Please feel free to PM me for ratios. The home cooking is temp, it's low fat and easy on the system/pancreas.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'd be in touch with the surgeon who did the exploratory surgery. They should have left you a contact so soon after surgery. I'd worry about dehydration, and whether she can hold down the pills (pain, antibiotic?) without food on her stomach. The anesthesia drugs may have added to the nausea, and elevated liver enzymes might be a problem. I'm with Kaco! Microwave some white potatoes, or sweet. Mash this up with some low-sodium chicken broth. I used to add broth, and water, to make it kind of a soup. The liquid helps with hydration. Small pieces of cooked spaghetti might work. I added meat after my dog would eat the potato mixture. Hope she's better soon.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
mind you the yogurt aint a miracle cure that works instantly...took mine 3 pints to see the effect (they rrrrov it though)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Morning. She has not thrown up since early yesterday morning. She ate great and then this morning she is moving slow and not wanting to eat much i gave her some plain yougurt about 1 1/2 table spoons and she just drank water. She just wants to lay down. Her xrays showed backed up feces in her colon but they cleaned it out. I think she may have over done it yesterday and today she is hurting? We gave her the anti-anflamatory/pain pill this morning when she ate a little. We've been giving her a cup of food just to kind of let her ease back into eating. I'm at a loss. This is our second rescue that has had a health issue. I don't know what else to do. I go to the vet today with my oldest for her shots I'll talk to the vet. Thanks guys! I'll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We b rought her to the vet this morningand they checked her over again. She did some more x-rays and she has aspirated pneumonia. They gave her five different medicines and now she is breaking out in bumps and swelling. :weep:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Can you get some help from the rescue organization? Is there a foster home that could help take care of her while she recovers from this. It's time consuming to take care of a sick dog, and a pill schedule can take up most of the day. Glad she is diagnosed, and should be on the mend.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She is doing better this morning. I think she was allergic to the nausea medicine. The vet said to give her benadryl every 8 hours. She is starting to get back to her silly self. Breathing is better than yesterday and no vomiting since Early Friday morning!:clap: I hope this kicks whatever my poor girl has.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts