Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was at the pet store today and i was looking at a boxer there and on the inside of his paws where the other nail(thumb) is it was gone and they said that boxers usually get that taken off...Has anyone ever heard of this before?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep thats it...Carter still has his...Can I get them removed or is it to late?  Hes alittle  over 4 months old

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
my friend has a rotti that has her dew claws still and hers protrude a lot which seems like a hazard because it can get caught and rip in brush etc. Anyway the doctor said because she is older (still under a year) that she needs to be put under to go through the surgery so it is more expensive and the healing is harder. I think it would be more painful too in the healing stages but im not sure. just guessing there. Anyway most puppies get them removed when they are very young when their tails are docked i believe. around that early time anyway. Maverick still has his but they dont stick out at all and are very streamline with his paw. I am also wondering now if it is a GOOD IDEA to get it done when the puppy is older. My friend just told me it COULD be done but didnt say whether his vet recommended it or not so i wonder as well.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Rocky never had his dew claws removed and was fine.  Who ever did Henry's did a crappy job, they look horrible!

They usually do the dew claws when they do the tail.  I don't know if they can do it to an older pup or not.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sam has his and Lucy's were removed. My two cents is to make sure you keep them trimmed good. They can get pretty sharp because they are not on the ground being filed down by concrete on a daily basis.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sounds like everyone already covered most of the important info....Yes the dew claws are usually removed when the tail is docked and a general rule is clipped tail/removed dew claw.....normal tail leave dew claws.....but that is not always the case and generally it is what the owner of the puppies want.

When puppies are born you can actually pinch them off very easy with your fingernail (1 day old)....otherwise like said before it is normally removed with the tails....I have seen boxers with them and without.  There is really no difference except that they do need to be watched and trimmed to make sure they are kept short.  I actually had a Rott in yesterday that it had grew and curled into the pad and become infected.  It was pretty nasty and very sore for the dog.

To me there is really no age on having them done.  It is more involved to do it as they are older, but can be done, without any major issues....This kind of depends on the dew claw some of them are tight to the foot and some of them are very loose and hang away....The ones that hang away are more easily removed.  

Normally I suggest that at 4 months, if you want to have them removed, to do it when you have him neutered since he would already be asleep...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah's dew claws are gone but they did a horrible job also; looks like there is a bit left on one foot.

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta's are done, they look beautiful and white like the rest of her foot..Bo's are done and they are scarred black...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
To have the area look black and sometimes w/out hair is normal.  This is a result of the area being sealed with a silver nitrate stick when they are removed.  The ones that are not black and have hair were probably either pinched off when born or had a stitch on the foot.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts