Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have Chloe on a preventative - K-9 Advantix.  About 2 weeks ago we started noticing ticks in the house - a couple on the walls, one on my son, and I have found 3 on Chloe in the last 3 days.

I have bathed her and reapplied the preventative - 2 weeks early, but they are still getting on her.  I have washed all the bedding, treated the yard, and sprayed all the carpets in the area that the dog it in.

What can I do now?  We still have them!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I have no advice lmao But I use Frontline on Roxy and I havent noticed any on her but I have noticed that ticks are INCREDIBLY bad this year!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I dont use any of that chemical tick stuff but have had great success with putting a little dash of garlic powder in her meals in the morning:)

Ticks make my skin crawl!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HannaBanana\";p=\"23329 said:
Ticks make my skin crawl!
Tell me about it - I haven't been able to sleep well for days.  I keep dreaming of BUGS! :signhelp:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest - I don't know what's worse - this or an infestation of fleas.  Glad we don't have those.

I called the vet - they told me to change to Frontline - sometimes a variety of tick will be immune to one of the prevention products.  They said I cannot put it on her for another 15 days!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ive never had a problem with ticks on Roxy while shes on Frontline but as soon as those 4 weeks are done they are all over her!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
While this is a chemical measure, for us, it has worked wonders where nothing else seemed to be. Brady had ticks everyday at least once, Abby had a couple and one day after I mowed the lawn, I went to jump in the shower and as I got out of my clothes, I noticed a tick in my, umm, underwear.  8O I had just about had enough. My husband got Ortho

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
ok where did you find the ortho bug-b-gon max?? i can not find it ANYWHERE!!! we have aproblem with fleas here in texas that i am trying to deal with and was told the bug-b-gon did wonders...i cant find it though :(

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
When walking Kiah in the spring we gots ticks on us; hers died (from using Frontline) but mine didn't.  I can't stand ticks either, they give me the creeps.  I did see Bub-B-Gone not sure if it was Max at K-Mart but this was last summer.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think my husband got it at home depot, not certain though. Maybe look for a number on their website to find local vendors...or local supply stores maybe?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
tried that!! homedeopt didnt have bug-g-gon only max home protection which didnt mention fleas or ticks at all. cant find anything on the website either...which is weird...i will still search though!!! :D

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Chloesmom\";p=\"23390 said:
tried that!! homedeopt didnt have bug-g-gon only max home protection which didnt mention fleas or ticks at all. cant find anything on the website either...which is weird...i will still search though!!! :D
Lowes has it....I put it out at the first of the summer...They have liquid and gran's

Here is the link.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

I use this product in the yard and alternate between Frontline and K-9 Advantix on Fiona. - No ticks on her!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use K-9 Advantix plus on both of my dogs and not have a problem with the ticks.. have them walking and some bite but will come off dead..
You have to watch to topical ointments.. some will work with the body chemical of some dogs and then some dogs it won't work.. I tried several on my mixed female before I found one that really worked
After applying K-9 you have to wait 48 hours before they are able to get wet or it won't work.
But, after 2 months and no ticks here and we are in the woods every day and thru the tall grass..
The yard stuff you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot.. its a granual for fleas and ticks .. Ortho I think is what i have used before
Hope you all fix your tick problem

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
The ticks aren't that bad here this year, just mosquitos.

I've seen the ortho stuff at walmart and lowes.

Poor babies!  I hope you find something that works!

Z

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I treated the yard with Spectracide over the weekend - its the same as the Ortho - just a different brand (it was on sale).  Anyway - I called the vet back - I can't deal with these things for another 15 days!  I found another one on her last night  :signeek:

Anyway - they suggested a flea shampoo and then I just have to wait 2 days after that to apply the Frontline.  Guess what I'n doing this weekend - I am treating the year AGAIN, spraying the carpets again, washing all the dog bedding on super hot again, and flea/tick shampoo.  

This is crazy - we didn't have this issue last year!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Honeyec\";p=\"23509 said:
Oh the joys of living in a cool temperate climate!  What is a tick?
I wish I had that same question!

A tick is an insect that attaches itself and imbeds its mouthparts into the dogs (or any animal or even human's) skin and sucks the blood. Really....REALLY GROSS things.  :sick:  Here are a couple of pics for your viewing enjoyment. I guess you can even google them if you are really interested!

YUCK!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts