Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking into getting some timberwolf organics for my boys, does anyone feed their dogs this?  also, a somewhat related question. what is an appropriate protein level for puppies to be eating

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Here is a great article on everything you wanted to know about protein, and probably some things you didn't.   :wink:  I tend to stay somewhere between 21%-28% protein.

Protein Requirements for Good Nutrition
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Proteins are the building blocks in animal nutrition. They are one of the most important nutrients in the diet and are currently one of the most widely debated. For around twenty thousand years as dogs, and for several million years before that as wolves, the only problem canines had with protein was getting enough of it. Dogs ate a primarily meat diet and with that consumed a high percentage of their diet as protein. With their meat diet they also got a fair portion of fat and a little fiber and carbohydrate thrown in, but primarily they ate meat. Cats were pretty much the same only they were even stricter carnivores and did not eat any carbohydrates.
The discussion about protein started around World War II when commercial dog foods became more available and they began to replace the traditional meat and meat by-product diet. At first, the cheaper forms of leftover meat were put into the food with little regard for flavor or fashion. But with the interest in health as related to diet, a whole new generation of dog foods have entered the market. These quality foods challenge the earlier foods by promoting a product that is better than ever for our pets. At the center of debate for the newer products is protein, its source, digestibility, and quantity. Hopefully this article will answer some of the questions concerning protein in your pet

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Chloe eats TimberWolf Organics Lamb, Barley and Apples and her skin problems are almost non existent now. I have been battling skin problems /allergies with Chloe for over a year trying all sorts of different foods with no change at all until now. When Chloe was a puppy, I always stayed in the 20-22% protein range.

·
Registered
352 Posts
after receiving samples from a pet store recently, i'm planning to switch as soon as Madeline's current supply of natural balance runs out.  she absolutely loved it!!  also, if you didn't know already, someone here pointed out that the timberwolf organics website offers a free sample pack to new customers...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We use the Ocean Blue and love it.    We feed raw in the PM and the balance of both meals really make it easy for me.  Also with hanna's alergies the food has helped tremendously.  

I have also noticed that their coats are thick and full and very shiney.  
Both my smoosh faces are doing great on it, and recommend it to anyone considering it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well, we have moved onto Ocean Blue as of  yesterday, will let you know in a few weeks how it is going. Abby was almost humpng the bag when she smelled it! hahahah! We were on Cal Nat but her bald spots got worse and her ears were so full of gunk that I was cleaning them 2 or 3 times a day!!!! Excited to see how the timberwolf works!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Keep us posted AbbyandBrady, I'd love to hear how it works for you.  On a different note, Timberwolf's store locator isn't all that accurate I found out recently as they didn't list a store that carries their food within 5 miles of my house.  I just happened to see it where I buy my food and goodies and was surprised because their store locator said the closest store to me was a couple hundred miles away in another state.  So you might have to call on it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
We have a feed store a couple miles away that had it, so that works out great...also a place near my work carries it and they sometimes have 20% coupons in the local paper!!! They both carry Brady's chicken soup too (so far he hasn't turned his nose up at it, knock on wood).

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have been feeding TWO Blackforest for a year and a half now, they look amayzing and they absolutely love it!! Wouldn't change a thing!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts