Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may already do this, but we just figured it out and it works great for storing pumpkin. The only way we can buy pumpkin here is in massive cans. It would always go bad in the fridge because we sometimes just want to feed Sadie 1tsp/day for a week or something, depending on the situation...

What we've started doing is freezing the pumpkin in ice cube trays and giving them to her as treats! This way they will keep longer and she absolutely LOVES the fact that its in an ice cube!

I've been reading a lot of loose stool questions lately, so I thought this may help some of you! When Sadie has loose stool, pumpkin always saves the day  :wink:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
OMG great idea, Thank you!  I have thrown away more pumpkin because like you all we have are the huge cans of it and the dogs just dont eat it quick enough.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Alexa, I like the ice cube idea..I had been using small baggies..Michelle, no it doesn't go bad at all....When I take a small baggie out of the freezer, I will keep it in the frig and then heat up a bit of it before adding to food..

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
samsonsmom\";p=\"125877 said:
Alexa, I like the ice cube idea..I had been using small baggies..Michelle, no it doesn't go bad at all....When I take a small baggie out of the freezer, I will keep it in the frig and then heat up a bit of it before adding to food..
Yeah we freeze them in ice cube trays, then put them in a ziplock bag and they keep really well. Like Willow says, I either defrost to put in food, or Sadie loves them as ice cube treats as well. She's a sucker for pumpkin!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I am having problems finding pumpkin at our grocery store.  The only one I can find is in the baking section near the pie stuff, it's called Libby's and it's supposed to be pure pumpkin but I've read on here that the pie filling is not the right stuff.  Where in your markets do you find it?   Are there any brands I should keep an eye out for?  Like a lot of owners we're going through the exercise of different foods and right now he's on a prescription food for two weeks and taking antibiotics and he took a dewormer just to eliminate those possibilities as to why he had inconsistent stool and isn't gaining weight.  Once the two weeks is up I am going to continue our trial with Canidae but want to try the pumpkin with it and see how it works.  The next step is a food designed for dogs with a sensitive stomach but hopefully we won't need to go that far.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I buy Libby's, its 100% pure pumpkin so thats exactly what you want.  It's usually used for baking thats why they put it in the baking section.  There is other stuff that is not 100% and has other fillers and stuff, thats what people are talking about when they say don't get the pie filler stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts