Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Though I'm very new here, I do like contributing and sharing information rather than always asking questions and being on the receiving end.

I went to my first training session with a trainer 2 weeks ago. We had our new baby (14 month female) for about 10 days prior to that. We were being jumped on constantly. She would put her paws up on us all the time. Drove us nuts..

Well, literally 2 minutes with a trainer fixed that problem. She (the trainer) did something one time, then had me do it one time. Since then ZERO, NO JUMPING! At ALL?
What did we do?

When I could see Sadie haunching back ready to pick her feet up, I would take 1-2 steps closer to her. It put me into "her space" instead of letting her be in "my space". She was so used to putting up her feet, having the person take a step or two back that she would keep doing it.

All I had to do was put her into a position where if she went up, she felt that she might topple over. I taught each member of my family to do it and we have not had a jump up in 2 weeks. Literally, one day solved it.

The trick is to take the step forward in that second between her feet leaving the ground and her getting vertical. It just disconcerts her enough that she won't do it again.

I'm still working on some other aspects of training, but I'm excited to be here and look forward to sharing much information in the future.

Thanks,
GT

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Very good tip! I'm sure all the folks with puppies will be trying that one. Thanks for sharing.  :wink:

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Great tip, thanks! You have good taste in names as well  :wink: Our Sadie is 4 1/2months old....jumping isn't too bad, but it will be good to try because its the strangers or guests that she likes to jump on!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I will mention that to my sister... Maggie is a big time jumper!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm curious to know if this would work for non-family members who come over.  I'm just not sure if this teaches them not to jump, or just not to jump at those who they know will just block them.  (I don't know the answer, just wondering)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Great tip, have to try that out  :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
What we have seen is that she was jumping before, and now she doesn't jump on anyone, anytime, anywhere. It was like "Magic".

GT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts