Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though Beckham is 5 1/2 months, we have finally decided to give him his first bath.
We've been using the puppy wet wipes about once a week, along with cleaning his ears and nail trims, so he's not a stinky pup by any means.

So if any of you have some good first time advice, tips or tools that make bath time a fun experience for all involved.
Please let me know!  

We have GoodEarth gentle puppy shampoo, rubber mat for bottom of tub, sprayer for the shower head and lots of towels.

We'll try to get some cute pics of the ordeal too.   8O

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Lots and Lots and lots and lots and lots and LOTS of towels!!  :p  Beckham will be fine in the tub...and do gets LOTS of pics too!  :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh I am awaiting with baited breath for pics of this....In the summer I bathe mine outside, but they are older, so tub might be better at first...Have the water warm, not hot tho...Keep water away from Becks face ( I know that a lot of people will put cotton in the ears to keep them dry)..I also found it worked better when I got in the tub also, versus trying to lean over it....Keep talking to Becks the whole time in a calm soothing voice...Keep some treats handy also...Have a drink ready for both of you when you finish!!  :lol:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I am of no help here.  Lola hates taking a bath.  I have to chase her around the house because when she sees the water running in the tub she knows what's about to happen!  Once she's in there she's calm, tries to climb out a few times then gives up.  I just get her in and washed up as fast as possible.  I use a wash cloth on her face so I don't get anything in her eyes or ears.  Be prepared to get wet!  I usually have to change when I'm done!  Good luck.  Can't wait to see the pics!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I started out by just putting him in with a small amount of water for him to get his feet wet.

and increased it day by day.  Now he loves his baths, and playing outside in the pool.

I can hardly get him out of the water.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The only thing I would advise is that if you have an electric shower, I'd use a jug to rinse him with rather than the shower head - the noise of the pump could freak him out.  Tink loves her baths, but the one time I tried to use the shower head to rinse her, she went ballistic.  Jumped out of the bath and then went flying on the wet floor, I was afraid she was after breaking her neck.

And I'm not sure how the weather is this time of year in Minnesota, but if it's not too warm, make sure you dry him off really well afterwards so he doesn't get cold.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="Honeyec\";p=\"13703":38w37s31]The only thing I would advise is that if you have an electric shower, I'd use a jug to rinse him with rather than the shower head - the noise of the pump could freak him out.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Both of our pups got a bath the night we got them.  Both came for outdoor environments and are now indoor pets.  Just make sure you don't spray water directly in there ears and what not.  Basically like washing a baby.  Our shower head disconnects do I soak them up there ears and shampoo and rinse.  Then I'll use a wet rag for there face followed by light amount of soap.  I'll them wipe with another rag and dry em off.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I hopped in with Mia and she just layed against me and slept...

Toby loves water and tries to get in the shower whenever anyone is taking a bath, so he takes right to it.. plus he loves his delicious treats afterwards!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
This is probably going to sound pretty stupid, but...I sing to Lilly when she takes a bath.  She'S OK in the bath, but she settles right down when I start singing.  I also use treats, praise, affection and a good solid play session in the house after bath time (also helps speed the drying process).

With the singing:

Beck isn't going to care if your voice sucks or not...the sound of singing is very soothing (I did this at the vets yesterday when I couldn't take Lilly home and ended up putting her to sleep by singing to her) and generally sounds pretty happy to them.  Try singing something upbeat (Lilly likes Amazing Grace [Baptist hymn style] and Rihanna's "Umbrella") or even something completely silly (The Wheels on the Bus, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star).  

Hope this helps!!!

Liz and Lilly

BTW:
DON'T FORGET THE PIX!!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Willy just gets in the shower with me and chills out under the water.  I soap him up, rinse him off, and he's cool with it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Zeus hates water to get on his head. He would stay still. They will get used to it. Dont make the water to warm but not cold.  And do have some towels ready and waiting. I would wear clothes that you dont mind getting wet. have fun  :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone!  I think I'm going to end up getting in with B and have Tara on the outside with treats and both of us singing! LOL
Cotton in the ears as well and a wash cloth for the face!

Hopefully we can get some adorable pics without the camera becoming a casualty of bath time.  :?

I'll let you all know how it went.  Thanks again for all the advice.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First bath went very well!  Tara will be home in a few hours and will have to post the pics then.  
Beckham was a bit scared at first, but we started singing to him (thanks lillyzmomma) and giving him lots of good treats and he settled right down.

I think he loved all the attention and rubbing  :p

He was so soft and smelled soo good...we had to let him cuddle with us in bed for awhile just because of it.  

I'm sure he already smells like dog today though  :cry:

Thanks everyone and we'll have pics up soon!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Glad it went well! Can't wait to see pics!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Your welcome...I know you probably felt stupid at first, but it pays off!!!  Glad I could help!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I figure whatever works!! When it comes to my babies, sometimes I have no shame anyways..Glad that Becks first bath went well. Hopefully it was a real good experience and he'll enjoy it even more next time....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts