Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be bringing home our puppy in just two days! We have been waiting for her since before she was even born, so we are a bit excited! Our girl will be eight weeks old when we bring her home. We have a three hour drive to pick her up and will be turning around and coming right back home. We hope to get home mid afternoon so we have some time to get used to things before her first night.

this puppy is for our oldest daughter, who is twelve and a half and on the autism spectrum. Our goal is for the dog to eventually sleep in bed with our daughter. However, my daughter does not handle being woken up in the middle of the night. Until the puppy is housetrained our plan is to have her crated in our room so that my husband or me can let her out during the night. I do have a four year old maltese that is "my" dog and who sleeps under my bed. Puppy is coming from a litter of eleven!

any thoughts for helping us get through the first nights in her new home? is it a bad idea to start her out in a crate in our room and then try to transition her to sleeping with my daughter in a month or two? What would you all recommend? The last piece of the puzzle is that I run early in the mornings, I leave the house around five am. I typically let out my maltese and then he goes back to bed until I get home. Any thoughts on if the puppy will be able to handle a routine like that? i'm thinking of letting her out and then crating her again with a chew toy (kong) filled with something yummy to keep her occupied and quiet until the rest of the family gets up. I'm guessing whenever my daughter wakes up she will come and let the puppy out for the day.

Would love thoughts about all of this. I want to be prepared for the puppy crying at night and all of that. I know you have to stay strong and keep them in their crate but any advice would be welcome!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
This is not to be taken as advice. Haha

This was my situation, and in no way would I recommend it.

1st night kept him in a crate no issues whatsoever.
2nd night would not stop barking. Finally had enough, put him in my bed went to sleep.

Ever since that 2nd night he has slept in my bed(which I have no problem with) and taught him the crate was for when I was leaving. He never had an accident in the bed and would sleep from 10 at night till 6 in the morning. I don't know if he had a strong bladder, but I didn't have to do the 2-3 hour bathroom thing.

So basically he sleeps in my bed at night, hangs out in his own bed during the day when he feels like it, and goes in the crate when I leave. I didn't have any issues training him what all 3 mean.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see, I would totally let her just sleep with my daughter from the get go...but nervous about washing sheets every morning because of accidents!!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
It's kinda slow as we have a bunch of new puppies on deck so I don't know where all the new Boxer parents are but I did remember a recent thread and it was pretty informative and the newbie got the Crate thing done pretty quickly. It was shaciam and she got the crate thing done even after a setback.

http://www.boxerforums.com/general-boxer-forum/199641-i-did-bad-thing.html

And if the puppy is crated trained in your room and the crate gets moved to your daughters room ... that should not be a problem.

And I also did not use a crate for my first four puppies. I don't recall any accident but I'm a light sleeper so if they moved I was up! But I would add that if you don't install Crate discipline out the gate ... you do have to get .... every other aspect of Puppy life right or your gonna have "issues." I think that's fair to say?? And if the puppy is not really going to be sleeping with you in bed in the future ... then don't start now, that would not be fair. :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
see, I would totally let her just sleep with my daughter from the get go...but nervous about washing sheets every morning because of accidents!!
I would definitely use the crate the 1st few nights and see how many times she might need to go out, etc. I got lucky in that Zuke didn't have to go till I took him out in the morning.

I also agree with Chip, even if you are not going to use the crate at night make sure you do crate training during the day so the puppy gets comfortable with the crate and when no one is home she will go in there and be comfortable.

·
Registered
634 Posts
(Sorry this is so long).....

As a Mom to two 3.5 year-old male boxers (same litter) and a new 12 week old male boxer puppy I can share what we've done that did or didn't work or are concerns.

I understand some boxers need to be crate trained, luckily my husband works from home, so we were able to put up an area in our dining room to keep the two older boys in when they were puppies. They stayed together most of the time, so when they were finally let free to run the house and sleep in our bed, they both chose to sleep with us, and our son (owner of one of them) was a bit sad that his dog didn't want to stay in his bed with him.

I think part of this is because the two wanted to be together, and they naturally gravitated to Mom and Dad who were the main trainers and caregivers.

I would be concerned about the boxer staying in her bed all night. Our boys have a doggie door so they go out if they need to at night. Not having this may help keep the dog in the bed at night. If there's a noise, or they are thirsty they will get up too. Maybe someone on here has a way to train the dog to stay on the bed all night. Boxers are smart and very trainable- especially if it's fun for them.

Our fur boys were older before we let them into our room and were able to get onto our bed.

Our new puppy-Bandit- we had him sleep with us- (Mom, Dad, Jax & Tundra) the first few nights.

First fear was him falling off or walking off the bed. Even w/ the other dogs & pillows as physical barriers, this only lasted a couple of nights. Bandit only went out about once a night for potty training the first week or two. After this he was able to sleep in his area all night - for the most part. A couple of nights he's whined to go out.

We have him in our room in a baby gate that's in a circle. It's next to the futon we put in there for the other two boxers (which they rarely use- unless Momma sleeps on it near Bandit to hear him if he wants out). If Mom moves, they move- personal heaters and cover weights. :)

Bandit being a puppy wants to play and explore, we will gradually get him out to sleep on the futon with our bedroom with the door closed (we don't want him going down the stairs or exploring other not so safe areas of the house if he gets up).

At about 12 weeks he is able to go in and out of the doggie door, goes up the stairs well, and is starting to learn to go down.

I don't know anything about your other dog breed's personality traits, but all of our boys LOVED to play as puppies (still some now but not as much). They can sound mean and are very persistent about getting the other dog(s) to play with them.

There are others on here who would probably be of more help if this is a concern. We still supervise all interactions with the boys- mostly because Bandit doesn't know he's little and the other boys don't know how big they are (85 -95 Lbs respectively) Our older boys deal with Bandit's playfulness based on their personalities.

Jax is the alpha and a talker - he'll play if he's in the mood and is the one who plays the most with Bandit, and if not he may tell Bandit no and walk away from him.

Tundra is a big lovable baby - he is coming around to playing with Bandit, and if he doesn't want to play he'll quickly leave the area. He was attacked before by a rescue we adopted but had to give up (due to the attacks) so he is more timid even with the size difference.

Congrats! I'm excited for your family. Please share photos once she's home.

·
Registered
74 Posts
we've had our pup for about 5 weeks now. this is our first puppy and dog in general so its been a learning experience...we put her in her crate from day 1 and at the advice of our breeder, we didnt take her out in the middle of the night. When she suggested this i thought she was crazy....we asked how can a 9-10 week puppy go all night? Her answer, "why would you want to start getting the pup on a schedule of getting up multiple times a night"?

First night comes, we take her out to use the bathroom before bed, (she had pooped a couple hours before)....then put her in her crate. She starts barking and crying immediately, lasted about 45 minutes or so, not bad imo. Wake up in the morning to see poo in her crate and smeared all over, she was scratching and clawing at it to try and get it out of the crate, that explains the crying and barking. This happened again the 3d night, along with some minor whining for short periods during the first 4 nights.

Knowing we had to adjust something, we started feeding her at better times so that we made sure she was emptied out before bedtime. Ever since the 4th or 5th night she's been sleeping from roughly 8:30 or 9pm to 6:30-7am, no bathroom breaks, no crying or barking at all. It could be that we are just extremely lucky, but in our case, being tough worked wonderfully. To this point she hasn't had an accident in the crate since those two i mentioned.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
(Sorry this is so long).....

As a Mom to two 3.5 year-old male boxers (same litter) and a new 12 week old male boxer puppy I can share what we've done that did or didn't work or are concerns.

I understand some boxers need to be crate trained, luckily my husband works from home, so we were able to put up an area in our dining room to keep the two older boys in when they were puppies. They stayed together most of the time, so when they were finally let free to run the house and sleep in our bed, they both chose to sleep with us, and our son (owner of one of them) was a bit sad that his dog didn't want to stay in his bed with him.

I think part of this is because the two wanted to be together, and they naturally gravitated to Mom and Dad who were the main trainers and caregivers.

I would be concerned about the boxer staying in her bed all night. Our boys have a doggie door so they go out if they need to at night. Not having this may help keep the dog in the bed at night. If there's a noise, or they are thirsty they will get up too. Maybe someone on here has a way to train the dog to stay on the bed all night. Boxers are smart and very trainable- especially if it's fun for them.

Our fur boys were older before we let them into our room and were able to get onto our bed.

Our new puppy-Bandit- we had him sleep with us- (Mom, Dad, Jax & Tundra) the first few nights.

First fear was him falling off or walking off the bed. Even w/ the other dogs & pillows as physical barriers, this only lasted a couple of nights. Bandit only went out about once a night for potty training the first week or two. After this he was able to sleep in his area all night - for the most part. A couple of nights he's whined to go out.

We have him in our room in a baby gate that's in a circle. It's next to the futon we put in there for the other two boxers (which they rarely use- unless Momma sleeps on it near Bandit to hear him if he wants out). If Mom moves, they move- personal heaters and cover weights. :)

Bandit being a puppy wants to play and explore, we will gradually get him out to sleep on the futon with our bedroom with the door closed (we don't want him going down the stairs or exploring other not so safe areas of the house if he gets up).

At about 12 weeks he is able to go in and out of the doggie door, goes up the stairs well, and is starting to learn to go down.

I don't know anything about your other dog breed's personality traits, but all of our boys LOVED to play as puppies (still some now but not as much). They can sound mean and are very persistent about getting the other dog(s) to play with them.

There are others on here who would probably be of more help if this is a concern. We still supervise all interactions with the boys- mostly because Bandit doesn't know he's little and the other boys don't know how big they are (85 -95 Lbs respectively) Our older boys deal with Bandit's playfulness based on their personalities.

Jax is the alpha and a talker - he'll play if he's in the mood and is the one who plays the most with Bandit, and if not he may tell Bandit no and walk away from him.

Tundra is a big lovable baby - he is coming around to playing with Bandit, and if he doesn't want to play he'll quickly leave the area. He was attacked before by a rescue we adopted but had to give up (due to the attacks) so he is more timid even with the size difference.

Congrats! I'm excited for your family. Please share photos once she's home.
Just wanna say things for the insight. I gotta a couple of questions but not directly related to the topic at hand ... maybe I'll start a thread??

I will say though, yours make it at least three sleep in bed puppy owners (myself included and dong that is not recommend) that are on record and none of us seem to recall any particular "Potty Challenges" ... that seems odd??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boxerman, interesting that you had to adjust feeding times, we had to do the same thing with our small maltese, we feed him breakfast and lunch to prevent the evening poop :) He gets it through his system before bedtime now....something to keep in mind with puppy, although they are supposed to eat three or four times a day right??

and reading through all of these replies makes it harder and harder for me to want to stick to my guns with the overnight crating!! We do always lock our maltese up in the bedroom while we are gone during the day and plan to also keep puppy in a secure place while we are gone

·
Registered
74 Posts
Boxerman, interesting that you had to adjust feeding times, we had to do the same thing with our small maltese, we feed him breakfast and lunch to prevent the evening poop :) He gets it through his system before bedtime now....something to keep in mind with puppy, although they are supposed to eat three or four times a day right??

and reading through all of these replies makes it harder and harder for me to want to stick to my guns with the overnight crating!! We do always lock our maltese up in the bedroom while we are gone during the day and plan to also keep puppy in a secure place while we are gone

Yes we do feed 3 times a day. The first couple days we fed dinner at 6-630, but she wasn't emptied out by bed time. We adjusted just by an hour, so 5-530, and ever since then she's been going before bed and sleeping through the night.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
and reading through all of these replies makes it harder and harder for me to want to stick to my guns with the overnight crating!!
I say stick to your guns with how you want to do it. You can always adjust if you think it might be better a different way. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer concerning overnight crating or not.

I will say though, definitely get her used to the crate and being comfortable in it no matter what you decide. Its usually much more difficult the longer you wait.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Our puppy had started crate training when we got him. He'd been in a crate with one of his litter mates after the other puppies were sold. The breeder said to put the crate in our bedroom. We didn't give in to the crying, but said "quiet" gently. We didn't let him out except for every couple hours to take him outside. Of course there was little sleep for us over the first week! He got used to missing his siblings, and the new surroundings. We were not used to being up every few hours, and it was hard to listen to the crying. We hung in there, and the crate never became a bad place later.

I don't think a 12-year old would be able to handle a puppy until it was at least a couple months old. The barking, and crying can be a sensory overload even for people not on the Spectrum. There might be the problem of holding a puppy to tightly to cuddle it while it's too young. I'd also get that puppy out and about to socialize it as much as possible. You don't want a dog who becomes fearful of things, and over protective. We need pictures!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think we will try the crate overnight but are willing to switch to the puppy pen with her bed in it, she seems really comfortable in her bed and has been sleeping in it off and on all day today since we got her home.

I would definitely post pictures of the sweet little love...but am completely computer illiterate...and not sure how??

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
We crated from day 1. When puppy was in crate is ws time for him to sleep whether nap time or over night. We did for the 1st week take him out about every hour and a half and Always when he was quiet . His basic schedule was feeding at 6-30 am, noon then 5 pm. Each time potty outside before and after, playtime always before going back to crate and potty always after playtime. He of course slept on out lap on a couch in our tv room in between during the day. We found him to be like a toddler there were times he needed a nap in his crate. LOL He will be 3 in Sept and still sleeps in his crate at night. Otherwise he has freedom in the house but that didn't happen till he was 2. Well it did but it was supervised,now he is safe to leave. You will figure out what works for your family. ps you may soon find her bed shredded..it happens ours shredded several had to sleep without one for about a month then we tried again. Finally went to a tie down type Primo dog crate bed and that worked. Something about soft beds/toys they bite a hole and then say hmm. fin till they have the cuffing every where. Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, so funny that you mentioned shredding her bed, she is definitely attacking it but since she is so small she can't do much to it right now, but I don't think this bed will last long! she seems to love it, but also likes to "dig" and nip on it.

We ended up gating her into our master bath last night with her bed in it. She had to get up twice, but otherwise slept just fine. We don't crate our older dog, but he is confined when we leave to our bedroom. I think we will confine her to our daughter's bedroom within her puppy pen until she grows out of it and then just to the bedroom after that. I am just never comfortable with them having full reign of the house while we are gone! We also keep our older dog locked in our bedroom overnight as well , and so far that system has worked really well for us.

bonus, this puppy seems housetrained already! She consistently goes potty outside everytime we take her and has yet to have an accident in the house :) we are head over heels in love. I'll see if my hubby can help me post a pic!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Sounds like you scored! You found another work around with the x pen in your daughters room. Looks like you got the right puppy and came up with a good solution for you so ... night one is in the books! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yep, she has been great all day. Got through her vet check like a champ today, learning how to play fetch and has definitely been more playful and awake today, I think she is settling in. We got her some bully sticks to chew on since she kept finding sticks outside to gnaw on and she seems to enjoy that as well. So far, so good! she is one special little puppy, our whole family is head over heels in love. Cracks me up how she can just fall over asleep at the drop of a hat!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
We kept a crate in the bedroom, and another in the family room. If there was too much biting of hands and feet in the evening, we could put the puppy in the crate to rest.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts