Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Things are going well but definitely NOT how I had it all planned out in my head before she came home! My husband and I were not able to stand the crying all night so we move her puppy pen into our bedroom at night and put it right beside our bed, she was up only once last night which was HUGE progress!! She sleeps hard when she sleeps, and even still sucks alittle :) so cute, nice reminder of how much of a baby she still is

She is very mouthy and bites everything, so we are using bully sticks right now. I bought her a kong but it's a bit to big for her right now, in about three or four weeks it will be perfect and i just don't want to buy one more thing at this point!

We love this little girl, we have been taking her on short walks around the block at night to get her nice and worn out before bed and that's been a good system too, took us a couple of days to figure that out though!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Things are going well but definitely NOT how I had it all planned out in my head before she came home! My husband and I were not able to stand the crying all night so we move her puppy pen into our bedroom at night and put it right beside our bed, she was up only once last night which was HUGE progress!! She sleeps hard when she sleeps, and even still sucks alittle :) so cute, nice reminder of how much of a baby she still is

She is very mouthy and bites everything, so we are using bully sticks right now. I bought her a kong but it's a bit to big for her right now, in about three or four weeks it will be perfect and i just don't want to buy one more thing at this point!

We love this little girl, we have been taking her on short walks around the block at night to get her nice and worn out before bed and that's been a good system too, took us a couple of days to figure that out though!
Like Caesar says, "A tired dog is a good dog." haha

One thing about bully sticks I picked up with giving them to Zuke(I didn't give them to him till he got his adult teeth)was Zuke had a habit of once it got down to about 3 inches he would swallow it whole and then puke it up the next day. So I started taking it away and cutting it into chewable pieces once it got to about that size. Don't know if all boxers do this but something to be watchful for once she is bigger and can start actually eating the bully stick.

Sounds like everything is going great and typical puppy behavior.:clap2:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Your vet might be able to recommend something for teething. Our Boxer is 8, and he still comes in to sleep on his bed on the floor in our room most nights. We did the crate in the bedroom when he was a puppy. This is going to be really HARD, but if you can keep from bringing her into your bed with you (no matter what) it will help down the line.

When you have to crate her to leave the house, you can play some music, put her in your bedroom, and hope she learns to "love" her crate. I miss puppy breath!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
We have some kong rubber chews, and stuffed toys for Bandit that he will chew on- especially the rubber ones. He loves to chew on a leash- we are working on this, but if you don't have a kong wubba, I recommend getting one for her to chew on.
It has the leash-like pieces on it, is good for playing with as you can tug on it too.
The best place for price we have found for Kong stuff is Amazon.

She'll learn what she can and can't chew on, but it takes consistency and time.

Bandit knows he can't chew on hands, and we are still working on him grabbing pant legs or loose clothing- along with new things he encounters on his supervised house outings...

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I don 't know what to do either. We are taking the puppy from the shelter tomorrow and I would like to create the most comfortable conditions for him at home. Should he sleep in our bed for the first time or should I buy him a dog bed? I'm afraid that if we let him sleep in our bed, he might get used to it and never be able to sleep alone again. Well, my wife is a very light sleeper, so it might be inconvenient for her. I even studied information about sleep problems and read in this blog (you can see here Sleep Authorities | Tips, Research & Product Reviews - Sleep Better) how to fix her sleep. And we recently achieved success by following all the tips from the article in that blog. Now I'm afraid of spoiling it , so I'm asking for your advice.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Well he is going to need a dog bed anyway at least for the living room anyway so you might as well get one now. It will come in handy down the road. As to the answer to your question well, the answer would be "NO!"

He should start being Crate Trained, from day one. If nothing else a "Crate Trained Puppy will be easier to "Potty Train." Lot's of other benefit's to "Crate Training," down the road.

And doing this "appears" to make the process easier??:

That is pretty much what a "pro," would tell You,Crate Train). But the Crate need not be for life?? Although, hard core it would be for a year or two ... depending on the dog. But hey you could settle for once they are "potty Trained," and let it go at It just depend's on the Puppy/Dog??

But ... this is a Boxer Board and sigh, most of our dog's sleep with us in our bed. Not all but most?? And as for me ... yeah my bad. All my puppies have slept with me. :)

You just need to be prepared for a longer time to potty train and there is a lot more stuff you have to get right, out the gate, to make up for the lack of "Discipline and Structure" that a Crate enforces ... from day one. Your call on this one, but now you know. Welcome aboard. :)

·
Banned
12 Posts
So I don 't know what to do either. We are taking the puppy from the shelter tomorrow and I would like to create the most comfortable conditions for him at home. Should he sleep in our bed for the first time or should I buy him a dog bed? I'm afraid that if we let him sleep in our bed, he might get used to it and never be able to sleep alone again. Well, my wife is a very light sleeper, so it might be inconvenient for her. I even studied information about sleep problems and read in this blog (you can see here Sleep Authorities | Tips, Research & Product Reviews - Sleep Better) how to fix her sleep. And we recently achieved success by following all the tips from the article in that blog. Now I'm afraid of spoiling it , so I'm asking for your advice.
Why didn’t anyone tell me about this some months ago?!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts