Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took savannah to the vet yesterday because i still am not able to get her to eat. Vet said she was healthy, just a tad underweight. apparently she could stand to gain 5-10 pounds. Anywho though- at first she was only eating if i put an egg in with her food and mixed. She started eating the food with some yogurt added to it, but now she wont eat it anything! i was home all day with her yesterday and she did not touch her food once. I talked it over with my boyfriend, and he said that her food bowl wasnt touched on monday either. The only thing that i have seen her eat was she got into the cat box yesterday afternoon. I told her 'no-no that is yucky' and then wiped her mouth up. Does anyone have any ideas on what else i can do to try and get her to eat? I tried using the peanut butter in the kong, but she would only lick it if i held it. if i set the kong down she wouldnt touch it.  :bshelp:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Have you tried mixing in some canned food along with the dry? My other boxer would not touch dry food without some canned mixed in. It might be worth a try.  :wink:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola was sick last Friday because we changed her food from Science Diet Lamb and Rice to Science Diet Puppy Bites.  I brought her to the vet and was told to give her small portions of boiled, skinless chicken breast and white rice for 5 days, then start mixing in the Puppy Bites with it.  Maybe if you mixed a little chicken and rice in with the food, then slowly have it be all puppy food she would eat.  Lola loved the chicken and rice!  She couldn't get enough of it, but she's back to all Puppy Bites now and seems to like that.  Just a suggestion.  I'd check with the vet first before I gave her people food...just to be careful.  Good luck!

·
Registered
977 Posts
When i got Voltaire the breeder told me to pour hot water on the dry food and leave it to soak in and cool down. He was a very difficult eater - but he loved tinned sardines in oil mixed into the food. Also raw ground beef helped, but i was always having to change things a bit to keep him interested. He likes milk from time to time also and digests it fine. Now all is fine.
Best of luck finding a way to overcome this problem -it's very worrying and frustrating, i know.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alicia you are a godsend! :) I wanted to try and stay away from canned food. So when i got home tonight i boiled one chicken breast and made rice using chicken broth instead of water. Let it cool, aportioned out some of eac and mixed the two with some dog food-. When i set it down in front of Savvy she was all over it! she finished one bowl and because she hasnt eatin much in the last two days (that i know of) i went ahead and made a second bowl. She licked that one clean as well. I was tempted to give her the rest of the chicken and rice but didnt want to over do the food since she is finally eating again. I hadnt realized until this evening how much weight she had lost. I was brushing her as she was chowing down and realzed that i could see the last two knots in her spine. That upset me, but i know since i have her eating again those will disappear hopefully fairly quickly. Once again THANKS!!  :D [/img]

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alicia you are a godsend! :) I wanted to try and stay away from canned food. So when i got home tonight i boiled one chicken breast and made rice using chicken broth instead of water. Let it cool, aportioned out some of eac and mixed the two with some dog food-. When i set it down in front of Savvy she was all over it! she finished one bowl and because she hasnt eatin much in the last two days (that i know of) i went ahead and made a second bowl. She licked that one clean as well. I was tempted to give her the rest of the chicken and rice but didnt want to over do the food since she is finally eating again. I hadnt realized until this evening how much weight she had lost. I was brushing her as she was chowing down and realzed that i could see the last two knots in her spine. That upset me, but i know since i have her eating again those will disappear hopefully fairly quickly. Once again THANKS!!  :D [/img]

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm glad she finally ate something!  :D  Usually boiled chicken and rice is recommended for them when they have stomach issues like throwing up or diarreah. It's gentle on their tummy.  You can cook for her every day....I'm sure she'll love you for that!  :p  Sounds like she just doesn't like the dog food. Anyway, I'm happy she had a great dinner last night.  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Andrea, so the girl was trying to tell ya something huh? I'm glad to hear that she's eating..We hate seeing our babies get that thin....I'm with Tootsie, it sounds like she just doesn't like the dog food. It happens, even tho mine have never been picky. I know you were talking about changing foods, this might be the time to do it...Buy small amounts of what you were considering and introduce some of that with her chicken & rice and see how she does....She's going to have you wrapped around her paw pretty soon if this keeps up..... :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yay!  I'm so happy to hear that she ate and enjoyed her dinner!  I know how scary it can be.  When Lola was sick she was dehydrated, but wouldn't drink anything.  She's all better now though!  I'm so excited for you, you must be so relieved.  It'll be tough getting her off of the chicken and rice so you may be cooking for her forever! :D  It's so worth it though when you see them happy and healty!  Good luck with everything....glad I could help!  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have actually already started switching foods. I guess i will have to look into something other than Blue. Any ideas. I cant find canidae around here and with the recall going on now with dry foods i am not sure WHAT i should be attempting to change to

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
You can try Solid Gold. That's what Maddie is eating right now, and she loves it, and she's kind of picky! Merrick also makes great food. Natural Balance makes a great food, and that is relatively easy to get. The solid gold and the natural balance are sold at petco.  Blue is a premium food, but I know a lot of dogs have a problem with loose stools and diarreah on that brand. I'll post the 2007 Whole Dog Journal list of foods once again. Admin or mod can we maybe pin this list?

Here is the 2007 Whole Dog Journal list of foods:

--Addiction Foods (addictionfoods.com)
-- Artemis (aremiscompany.com)
-- Azmira (azmira.com)
-- Back to Basics (beowulfs.com)
-- Bench & Field Holistic Natural Canine (benchandfield.com)
-- Blue Buffalo (bluebuff.com)
-- Burns (bpn4u.com)
-- by Nature BrightLife (bynaturepetfoods.com)
-- by Nature Organics (bynaturepetfoods.com)
-- California Natural (naturapet.com)
-- Canidae (canidae.com)
-- Canine Caviar (caninecaviar.com)
-- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul (chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com)
-- Cloud Star Kibble (cloudstar.com)
-- Drs. Foster & Smith (drsfostersmith.com)
-- Eagle Pack Holistic Select (eaglepack.com)
-- Evanger's Super Premium (evangersdogfood.com)
-- Firstmate Dog Food (firstmate.com)
-- Foundations (petcurean.com)
-- Fromm Four Star Nutritionals (frommfamily.com)
-- Go! Natural (petcurean.com)
-- Hund-N-Flocken (solidgoldhealth.com)
-- Innova (naturapet.com)
-- Innova Evo (naturapet.com)
-- Karma Organic (karmaorganic.com)
-- Lick Your Chops (healthypetfoodsinc.com)
-- Life4K9 (life4k9.com)
-- Lifespan (petguard.com)
-- Merrick Pet Care (merrickpetcare.com)
-- Mmillennia (solidgoldhealth.com)
-- Natural Balance Organic (naturalbalanceinc.com)
-- Natural Balance Ultra Premium (naturalbalanceinc.com)
-- Newman's Own Organics (newmansownorganics.com)
-- NutriSource (nutrisourcedogfood.com)
-- Organix (castorpolluxpet.com)
-- Petguard Organic (petguard.com)
-- Performatrin Ultra (performatrinultra.com)
-- PHD Viand (phdproducts.com)
-- Pinnacle (breeders-choice.com)
-- Prairie (naturesvariety.com)
-- Premium Edge (premiumedgepetfood.com)
-- Prime Life Plus (ompetproducts.com)
-- Raw Instinct (naturesvariety.com)
-- Royal Canin Natural Blend (royalcanin.us)
-- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet (royalcanin.us)
-- Showbound Naturals (healthypetfoodsinc.com)
-- Timberwolf Organics (timberwolforganics.com)
-- Ultra Holistic Nutrition (ultraholistic.com)
-- VeRUS (veruspetfoods.com)
-- Wellness (oldmotherhubbard.com)
-- Wenaewe (wenaewe.com.uy)
-- Wellness Simple Food Solutions (oldmotherhubbard.com)
-- Wysong (wysong.net)
-- Zinpro (lincolnbiotech.com)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'll take care of that Tootsie and yes, it's something we all need to have handy.... :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Thank You!  :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
So glad she is eating again.

I had one like that once also from a puppy  and I know the concern one feels for their dog losing weight and not eating.  I had to add something to make it appetizing to her. I used to vary things and would make crock pots full of beef broth or chicken broth from scratch to add to the dry.  I would throw in carrots and celery along with the beef or chicken.  She really loved the herb rosemary for some reason.  I ended up going to strictly cooking all my dogs food because of her. I use a base called My Masters Choice by Know Better Dog Food.  It is not cheap, nor is it easy but my dogs live like kings.  There is nothing wrong with adding the chicken and rice to the regular food to get her to eat.  Just don't be tempted to over feed at first.  

Nano

·
Registered
316 Posts
OK I'm totally confused.  Is that list foods that are ok to feed or the ones that have been recalled.

It has been so long since I had a Dog and now suddenly there is this big dog food recall.  I have looked at the sites I have seen listed but I can't seem to make heads or tails of the info.  So I am scared to buy anything for my little puppy.  Can someone please clarify.

PS sorry to highjack this thread..

I am so glad you were able to get your girl eating.  If I can't figure this dog food recall out I may be cooking for my puppy soon too :wink:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The problem foods contain the product wheat gluten.  First check to see if your food contains this.  That is what is causing the problem.  If not in your food you will be o.k.  There should be a post somewhere on foods that are contaminated.

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="1stboxer\";p=\"5353":21f0feiv]OK I'm totally confused.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Tips on eating-update

I just wanted to update everyone on how savannah is doing. We have actually had some big improvments over the past 3-4 days. She is slowly starting to eat with out me having to put rice or any other food in with her dog chow. She actually will look for her food bowls in the evening, and i have noticed she will search for it before i put it down while i am at home on the weekends. Also On friday we ended up adopting a rotti mix. I dont know exactly how it happened. My boyfriend and i had gone to the local shelter to drop off some old towles and blankets and stuffand decided to look for a possible companion for our cat. We came with towels and left with a dog :wink: Anywho-she is a beautiful big girl-already close to 40 lbs and she is only 3 months-that we decided to name Sasha!! At first Savvy wanted nothing to do with the pup, but has kinda gotten used to her over the past few days. Once she saw the puppy playing with a toy or getting a treat for obeying a command and such she started perking up. We got our first nub wag yesterday. Let me tell yall it made my day to see my girl get so excited she wagged the nub. She is in the process of showing the pup that she is the alpha-and the pup is learning this very quickly. I never thought i would hear Once the pup hears itshe backs off and will go laydown some where and take a nap. Savvy is also starting to not take as long to go potty outside. i take the two out together and sasha will go, then savannah will follow right after. It is almost like she is starting to understand how a "city" dog lives now that the pup is here. Who knows maybe i just sound nuts-either way i wanted everyone to know that my savvy has made some wonderful improvements!!  :dance:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Woo hoo Way to go Savvy...I think she just needed a play mate Andrea..How cool that she is adapting so well to the pup and maybe that is what she needed all along...Sounds like your menagerie is growing... :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts