Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting another boxer for rocko to have a freind after hearing about all the ones that needed to be adopted I thought that would be the way to go which age should i look for rocko will be 15 weeks tomorrow and which sex should i get. Also how does the adoption process work

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Every place is different. From what ive heard many rescue organizations prefer to place a male with a female and vice versa. They probably will place 2 males in the same home but not two females. You could start by looking up local boxer rescues in your area..they all have different rules really so find one that you can work with and that can work with you. Rocko is still young so im not sure which age is best but im sure someone else can give advice on that. Sometimes an older dog can help with training and potty training ive heard but i dont know from experience. Another way to rescue is to keep checking at your local animal control or humane society for boxers that havent gotten into a rescue program yet. Those places usually have a quick waiting period before they put the dog down so it would be great if you could save one from that. A last resort IMO would be going to craigslist or kijiji etc and checking for people that cant keep their boxers anymore and are trying to rehome them. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

G

·
0 Posts
rocko is pretty young.  are you sure you want to do that now?  a 15 wk old puppy is alot of work in itself.  maybe when he is 6 months old and potty trained, etc. .. then you can devote the time you'll need to socialize the 2 together.

bless you for wanting to give a needy dog a home though  :thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it only took a week to potty train rocko if he has to go at night he will come put his front feet on you and stand there and during the day he will stand at the door after the first week he only had three accidents and has not had any in two weeks but maybe it would be a good idea to wait thats why i wanted some opinions maybe some one else has done this before

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I knew that my second one would be a rescue and also a senior for the very reason that most people want those cute boxer pups and very few people want senior boxers.....I had said from the very beginning (and there is probably a thread on here somewhere from a long time ago)...that I would wait until Fiona was a year old.....Fiona is now 14 months old and I just got Cassie who is around 8.....

I have always though in the past it is better to have a female/male pair, but have come to realize that it all depends on the dog themselves and how they get along with each other.  

I could not imagine knowing what I know now....(going through puppy to 1 year w/Fiona) bringing in a new one when Fiona was 4 months old....my nerves could not have taken it because Fiona was not fully trustworthy on house training and leaving her out until about 7 months old and she in general is a cornball :).....Everyone's situation is different....just weigh your options and situation.....bringing a baby out of rescue is a big thing because you never know what is wrapped in their package to deal with and it takes a lot of time.....time that is taken away from your first baby....and at 15 weeks they still need you alot........

Good luck and I am so glad more people consider rescue!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your advice and story i was starting to think the same thing and i guess in a years time there will still be plenty of boxers that will need a loving home. Because for some reason people do not relize how speacil they are.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
IMO enjoy the first 1.5 years of your pup.   Get them fully trained and do everything you want to do with them.   Its also a lot easier to go away on vacations and what not when you have only one dog to find someone to watch then two.

Also the 1.5-2 year mark is a good indicator to make sure the pup of somewhat healthy thus is not, much expense and added costs can add up and a lot easier to pay for that when you dont have another mouth / vet bills to pay for.

Rescue is great - however many orgs will not place with such a young pup.  So enjoy him, maybe do some volunteering for the rescue and fostering, and then maybe the right dog will come along at the right time:)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
There will always, sadly be plenty of Boxers, but yea, I think you should take the time to work with Rocko one on one before bringing another dog into the mix...As he gets older you will be able to see a lot more of his personality and know what would be a good mix for him...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts