Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is alot of controversy and guidelines you must follow when breeding boxers. my vet recommnded getting my boxer spayed, she is 3 and we still have yet to spay her. i have never breed her though. some of my friends want to breed her with there white boxer but im a little scared to do it. what all has to be done before you breed them? i kow they have hip problems and can have trouble delivering. any suggestions or advice. i would never breed her before checking with her vet first but figure some one here has to know some info on what i woudl be getting myself in to.  she does not have papers by the way.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Honestly I wouldnt breed her. Im not the best at this but your precious baby being white, you are carrying the risk of having deaf or blind pups. I believe this is what i have read and seen. Thats why you dont see breeders breeding white males or females. The others will be able to be more descriptive and educate us on why not too do so.

My girlfriend wanted to me to get a white female and breed her to Zeus but after reading up on it i decided not to do that. So im just gonna get a white female and spay her and neuter Zeus. Because after seeing all of these whities on this forum they are just so adorable I am gonna have to get one. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i think i am NOT going to breed her, i was afraid of breeding her with another white since she is white as well and know some risks are involved. thanks!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
According to the ABC(american boxer club) : Members of the American Boxer Club are currently pledged NOT TO BREED OR REGISTER these dogs. There are a small percentage of white Boxers that are deaf....You are playing with fire by even considering breeding whites..Second, have both dogs had all their necessary health tests? Can you afford the $ that will be needed to whelp a litter? A responsible breeder would say yes to all those, but would say no to breeding a white boxer. It's recomended that whites be fixed to avoid any litters. Don't mean to go off on you, but that is totally the wrong thing to do...Your girl needs to be spayed, for no other reason than it's the right thing to do. There are also health issues that can occur in your female by not spaying her, cancer of the reproductive organs being one...

Read my sticky thread in the breeding section about responsible breeders, there is a ton of information in there that you might find helpful...Breeding is a huge commitment, takes time, $ and a lot of patience. A good reputable breeder will tell you, it's not about the money it's about finding perfection....Bettering the breed...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Here is a link to the health testing that the American Boxer Club reccommends before breeding.

http://americanboxerclub.org/health-screening.html

I think your vet gave you very wise advice to spay your dog. The only reason to breed is to better the breed. By breeding her with another white, you are guaranteeing that all the pups would be white and carry a greater risk for being deaf or blind. While you have a very beautiful bitch, she should not be bred for the simple fact that she is white.
Casual or backyard breeders and the puppymill industry are single-handedly responsible for the decline of the Boxer breed. When you have poorly bred dogs, not only will your dog be a poor physical representation of your particular breed, but he/she may have temperament issues. Because the Boxer dog has been affected by commercialization and over-breeding, it is hard to "guarantee" the inexpensive Boxer puppy you are purchasing possesses all the characteristics that the breed is known for (good with children, even-tempered, etc...).
Conscientious and reputable breeders produce not only Boxers who are stunning in appearance but generally healthy and even tempered.  
Can I ask why you or your friends want to breed these two white boxers?
Getting your boxer spayed would be healthier for your boxer too. Please read all you can find on this subject and do lots of research before even considering breeding. It is a LOT more than just getting two dogs together to have sex.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
AMEN !! I have nothing to add lol Just go get her spayed!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am not sure why the other ppl with a male boxer want to breed, im sure it purley for money, but i had already told them no anyways.  the reason i ha not had her spayed has really nothingto do with breeding her, its just something we havent done yet..we have moved alot in the past 3 yrs due to the army, iraq deployments, etc etc..and sorry to say it wasnt high on my priority list to get her spayed right away. i know it is healthier to have her spayed and do plan on doing so since we are now settled and comfortable. i guess not spaying her also as to do with my mother had a dog who was put under for spaying and never woke up. guess that scares me as well. it IS something i plan on doing though very soon.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Just make sure you read up on ACE and boxers!! They should NOT have it at all!! I think their is a sticky in the health section

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RoxyGirl22\";p=\"15683 said:
Just make sure you read up on ACE and boxers!! They should NOT have it at all!! I think their is a sticky in the health section
i couldnt find it in the health section but will google it. thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Spay your girl, she is beautiful btw! I also just wanted to clarify that White boxers are more prone to Deafness.  Nothing I have read has indicated anything about increased risk for blindness or any other health issues, only deafness. Unfortunately I don't think many extensive studies have been done comparing the white boxer to it's colored counterparts.  Here is an interesting article that I found regarding the white boxer.

White boxer info

Give your girl some kisses from Poe and Me :)

Suzanne

By breeding her with another white, you are guaranteeing that all the pups would be white and carry a greater risk for being deaf or blind. While you have a very beautiful bitch, she should not be bred for the simple fact that she is white.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote="suzanne\";p=\"15694":fmdn7b7w]I agree with everyone else. Spay your girl, she is beautiful btw! I also just wanted to clarify that White boxers are more prone to Deafness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts